Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2016, 04:26   #16

Boat: Boatless at the moment
Re: Cruising in Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
.................If you come to Brazil with a foreign-flagged boat you are stuck in a position where you have to sail out of Brazil every six months..........

Tourist Visa (if you need a visa)

Tourist visas to Brazil are often issued for a period of up to five years, and obeys the reciprocity criterias. It allows the tourist to have multiples entries to the country for up to 90 days per year, which can be extended for another 90 days before its expiration by the Brazilian Federal Police, known as Polícia Federal, totalling 180 days per year. Note that Brazil uses the reciprocity principle, and therefore the country exempts some nationalities to obtain a visa prior to the trip.

EU tourists in Brazil no longer allowed to stay past 90 days

Decree 7.821, of 5 October 2012, establishes that EU tourists in Brazil will no longer be allowed to expand their initial 90-day stay to the maximum allowed in the past of 180 days.
A tourist visa for visitors from the Euro Zone is still not required.

I am a lucky one, have a permanent visa. I tried to get my boat legalized but was not succesfull.
Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 05:19   #17

pray tell, how'd you get a permanent visa?
kurtis king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 05:43   #18

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
Tourist Visa (if you need a visa)

Tourist visas to Brazil are often issued for a period of up to five years, and obeys the reciprocity criterias. It allows the tourist to have multiples entries to the country for up to 90 days per year, which can be extended for another 90 days before its expiration by the Brazilian Federal Police, known as Polícia Federal, totalling 180 days per year. Note that Brazil uses the reciprocity principle, and therefore the country exempts some nationalities to obtain a visa prior to the trip.

Decree 7.821, of 5 October 2012, establishes that EU tourists in Brazil will no longer be allowed to expand their initial 90-day stay to the maximum allowed in the past of 180 days.

I am a lucky one, have a permanent visa. I tried to get my boat legalized but was not succesfull.
Yes, so if you can extend your 90-day visa you get 6 months in Brazil. Ironically, the boat can stay for 2 years, which puts the owner in a strange situation where he/she can leave the boat in a designated marina and go back home to work for 6 months and return to continue the cruise or leave with the boat for 6 months to Uruguay or Argentina. The latter is a problem as it means always rushing up and down the coast and seasons/conditions are not always favourable. Hopefully this rather short-sighted regulation will be changed, given that it keeps a lot of boats away from Brazil. The few that pass through usually make landfall in the northeast, stay a bit and go on to the Caribbean, missing the nicest parts of the country.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 05:58   #19

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Yes, so if you can extend your 90-day visa you get 6 months in Brazil. Ironically, the boat can stay for 2 years, which puts the owner in a strange situation where he/she can leave the boat in a designated marina and go back home to work for 6 months and return to continue the cruise or leave with the boat for 6 months to Uruguay or Argentina. The latter is a problem as it means always rushing up and down the coast and seasons/conditions are not always favourable. Hopefully this rather short-sighted regulation will be changed, given that it keeps a lot of boats away from Brazil. The few that pass through usually make landfall in the northeast, stay a bit and go on to the Caribbean, missing the nicest parts of the country.
Most foreign sailors in Brazil don't come from the US...

Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 06:01   #20

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
The few that pass through usually make landfall in the northeast, stay a bit and go on to the Caribbean, missing the nicest parts of the country.
Thanks for the detailed analysis of cruising in Brazil. i have long wanted to sail to Florianapolis. Thanks for the description of the green coast. What about the area around Porto Alegre?

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 06:28   #21

Quote:
Most foreign sailors in Brazil don't come from the US...

I know. Most come from Argentina!

Anyway, the fact remains that the restrictions hamper exploring the coast here.
Old 24-12-2016, 06:31   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Thanks for the detailed analysis of cruising in Brazil. i have long wanted to sail to Florianapolis. Thanks for the description of the green coast. What about the area around Porto Alegre?

jon
Longjon, I haven't cruised in that area, but if you look on the map there is a long unprotected coast in the south of Brazil with very few harbours. Porto Alegre is a nice city, but I can't imagine spending much time there with my boat when there are so many other interesting places. Also, the water is freezing down there!
Old 24-12-2016, 14:45   #23

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
To get valuable answers you really need to be more specific. With 7700 km Brazil has the longest uninterrupted coastline in the world.
That would be Canada with over 200,000 of uninterupted coastline. Brazil is 15th.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 09:07   #24
B4A

Boat: 2018 Robertson and Caine, Leopard 40

Crossed from South Africa to Brazil in Jan 2019. At the moment (May 2019) I have sailed more than 1,200 nm along the Brazilian coast (from Ubatuba to Camamu).

I fly an American flag.

I can't agree more with Copacabana: Brazil is an amazing cruising ground, that doesn't deserve its bad reputation among cruisers. At all.

We feel safer here than in the Caribbean.

Authorities are very friendly and correct. They go the extra mile to try to help you. Fellow Brazilian sailors are very friendly and welcoming. Fishermen have a big hearth and will always help you, guiding you in the trickiest anchorages. People in the village are always very kind and friendly.

If you want to learn more about cruising in Brazil, you can follow us at:

Instagram: sailingoroboro
Blog: www.sailingoroboro.com

Tags
Brazil, cruising