Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 07:26   #1

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
cruising in a catalina 27

am just curious if its realistic to cruise from vancouver island to the carribean in a catalina 27. i know this boat is not an offshore vessel but its in really good shape brand new sails brand new yanmar good rigging. i want to take a year and cruise up and back but want to make sure that this is doable in this boat. thanks
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:40   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I don't know anything about a Catalina 27, but I can tell you that sailing to the Caribbean and back from Vancouver is a very ambitious agenda. It's not impossible, but very challenging to do in one year in any boat.

If the purpose of the trip is adventure that tests you and your yacht, and if you like lots of sailing compressed into a short period of time, you have a good chance of achieving your purpose. For me it sounds like doing too much in too little time. Doing the same trip over a 2 year period sounds more fun.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:54   #3

I'm sure someone has already circumnavigated a Cat 27 by now. That doesn't mean it's an ideal boat for crossing oceans. So, it really depends.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:15   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
They have gone around the world with a Cat 27. That said, I used to own one and I would not take it into deep water. And BC to Panama, that is a true bluewater cruise. Esp in the reverse direction. I bet if you try it you will end up selling the Cat somewhere along the way and upgrading to a true bluewater boat.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:22   #5

I agree with Dave. With only a year, either forget the Caribbean or ship the boat to Texas or Florida and spend a year in the Bahamas/Caribbean. For most cruisers the fun part is slow and leisurely island hopping with ample time to stay for awhile or move on whenever and wherever the spirit and the weather moves you.

I don’t know anything about Catalina 27s either. But, Catalinas are very popular in the Bahamas/Caribbean, and in good condition I would expect the boat to be acceptable for those waters. 27 feet is small for cruising, but not so much for a single hander. If there are two of you, it all depends on how well you get along.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 13:19   #6
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
a good 27-28 footer to take on that trip would be a sam morse bristol channel cutter.

gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 13:19   #7

Boat: I have been from 8' sabot to a 65' Ketch. I am over the Norsea 27 and looking for 50'+
Patrick Childress circumnavigated in one, but he also beefed up everything (rigging, bulkheads etc..
Tropicyachty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 14:46   #8

Check out John Vigor's book Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat. Appendix 2 is specifically about "Beefing up a Catalina 27" for offshore sailing.
Gaviero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 16:43   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Ship the boat to Florida. Seriously, once you add up the costs (especially the Panama Canal - and you WILL pay a fine for not completing it in 1 day, 'cause your boat won't go that fast), risk your life several times in the Pacific, etc., you would be much better off starting from Florida.

As for shipping it to Texas, and there to Florida, I wouldn't do that trip across the Gulf in a Catalina 27 on a bet. Maybe the ICW...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 16:33   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
FWIW,

Michael,
Without getting into the adeqacy of the CAt-27 for your proposed cruise, the distances that you propose to cover in one year are not really feasible, especially if you have any concern for cyclone seasons and your life expectancy. I would say, in fact, that you will not make it! How's that for negative feedback... Not that you will come to some bad end, but that you will not cover all those miles, especially the uphill trip back up the west coast.

The idea of shipping the boat to the most desireable cruising area has merit but will add considerable expense. Another possibilty is (please don't hit me if you really love your particular boat) to sell the Cat, go to Florida and buy another one, or some other similarly priced small cruiser... there are always heaps of them available.

Or if that doesn't appeal, sail as far as the west coast of Mexico and the Sea of Cortez, and spend your year cruising these very pleasant waters. Then ship her back if you wish.

Incidentally, I speak from experience. OUr first year of full time cruising we went from San Francisco to Mexico to The Marquesas, the Tuamotus and Societies, Hawaii and back to SF. Over 16K miles, and I would NEVER do that again (and that was in a 36 foot fairly fast boat). Nowadays we average about 6K miles each year, and enjoy adequate time to smell the roses as we go.

At any rate, I wish you well on whatever adventure you attempt.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Gladstone Qld Oz
Old 09-04-2009, 04:39   #11

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
thanks for all the information everyone. sounds like may have to rethink the cruising plans come up with some new ideas but hey never know unless you ask right.
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:27   #12

Boat: 1974 Cascade 36, 1970's martin 29 racer/cruiser, 40 indonesian teak atkinson project dual mast ketch
Re: cruising in a catalina 27

This is an old thread. Personally I would suggest selling the boat and getting
A full keeled boat with more ballast. Would be a lot for stable and safe in rough
Weather. It is possible to sail a cat 27 to the carribean but I live on vancouver island and you could sell your boat for around 5000 to 10000 and get a more suitable vessel in the same size for around the same price. Also are you taking the cannal or cape horn? All things to consider. If you just want somewhere hot for the winter I would suggest mexico or southern california would be a lot easier in a catalina 27.

Cheers from guyana

Captain Shawn
Captain-Shawn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2023, 18:54   #13

Boat: MacGregor Venture 25
Re: cruising in a catalina 27

I realize this might be an ancient thread but I've been reading all I can find on the Catalina 27 and owning one myself here's my two cents. So I have a Catalina 27. I'm in Texas 9/2023, I've read in several books how "people" (plural) have circumnavigated in a Catalina 27 but I can't find a list of names (plural) of those people. I only find Patrick childress. I have a stock 1984 standard rig, aft galley, outboard engine Catalina 27 with the dreaded chain locker. I have it fitted out with a Edison wheel steering unit with autopilot, chart plotter and various other pieces of equipment. I have pretty crisp sails on here and currently live aboard. I am used to living small having been a father ground to shreds in family courts for the past 30 years, so I'm used to being miserable, stuffed in a small box, kicked like the wandering mutt by society and after taking this boat out into Galveston Bay on several occasions I'm not sure if I'm up to feeling as miserable as I probably would feel in this boat on a ocean cruise. I see a lot of people have a lot of questions about Catalina 27s, I'm in the process of doing all the upgrades Patrick Childress did and then some, but I feel like once it's all said and done this is not going to be the kind of boat a person would want to take on an extended ocean passage. It may be the kind of boat a DESPERATE person might take on an extended ocean passage provided they are in good enough health with enough sense and experience to do so. This boat is lightweight, there are some concerning factors like the bolt-on Keel that develops the infamous "SMILE" from separation that I'm not fond of thinking about happening in an open ocean scenario. Then there is the paper thin Hull that a hefty size bird could probably fly right through one side and come out the other, well, maybe not that thin but you get the idea. The dreaded bow configuration with the horrible chain locker lid that won't open right, that's in the way no matter where it is, and no bow roller, and the way it's set up it's nearly impossible to do anything coherent with it without rebuilding the bow completely. The cabin beam is so big that it would seem like falling forever from one side of the boat to the other in the event of a flip likely leading the broken ribs, fractured skull, busted pelvis, twisted pancreas and who knows what other goodies. I'm not trying to bash the boat, the ocean can get really mean though. Even fitted with radar and other modern equipment there's still a chance of getting caught in a surprise that the boat may not be ready for no matter how much preparation but I guess that's just a risk we take every time we leave our comfort place. In all, I think I am just too old and poor shape to do an extended passage on this 27' day sailor. Youngsters might have a blast flying out to Jupiter and back in it but I'm no youngster.
killyourguitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina