Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015, 22:11   #16

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Re: Cruising Georgia coast

I would sail offshore back and forth from St Simons and St Mary's inlets. I would also use Jekyll creek when needed but it's shallow, and it's a nice offshore day sail from port to port. But there are many other options in close reach, like Savannah, Hilton Head, or Charleston and other SC ports. It's a great spot for various coastal hops, and also convenient to N Bahamas. So my experience in GA involved a lot of sailing, nearshore, inlet to inlet.

Are you on the water at Skidaway or would you sail out of thunderbolt or some other area marina?

I have very fond memories of winters in GA with my kids when younger. If you asked them, they would say it was some of their favorite times on our old Cape Dory 30. We had friends with a historic home/property on Cumberland and that made the experience unique. But the island all by itself is huge, with all kinds of exploring, historic sites, and oystering, shrimping, whatever. Great bug free breezy anchorage on the sound, and more protected in the creek. Endless beach. That's not everyone's thing, but for us, the boat is all about access to nice coastal locations accessible only by boat. Cumberland is only one barrier isle, but it's a national seashore and has a great anchorage, convenient to a good inlet.

Georgia has great cruising in the winter in my experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:40   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I see answers here that first appear to be in disagreement, but the difference is distance. Those that are saying that the sailing from Skidaway Island is good are mentioning destinations offshore to locations overr fifty miles away,- Hilton Head, Beaufort, Cumberland Island, etc.

I agree that these locations have appeal; however, if you were to plan to head out from Skidaway Island for an afternoon sail there's little to offer and most of a day's outing just to access the ocean and return.
Old 04-07-2015, 17:51   #18

Boat: X-Yacht Xc45

Thanks for all the responses. The boat would be at the Delagal Creek Marina. From the charts the sound isn't far and then open ocean. There does seem to be a lot of shoals. Boat draws almost 7.5'.
Wavehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 19:25   #19

I was in Delegal Creek for a night several year ago to pick up friends. I'd give the marina a call about your draft. There's a shallow spot. But the tide is about 8' -- you may have to work around it.

From there it's easy to sail out. You'll pass a lovely lunch or overnight anchorage at Wassaw Creek. 12ft of water, perfect protection. The island is a National Wildlife Refuge with trails, nesting sea turtles, birds and a gorgeous five or six mile deserted beach. Except for the ranger, you will almost certainly be alone off season.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 11:18   #20

Was "Cruising Georgia Coast" now "Savannah Marinas"

I'm glad I found this thread and hope I didn't step on any toes by changing the topic a little.

I am buying a small Hirondelle cruising cat(24'L x 10'W) from a gentleman who lives on Skidaway. I was thinking of trying to get it up to New Jersey before November but realize that I would be missing out on the fun of a leisurely ICW transit if I did that.

I'm considering putting it on the hard for the winter down there and sailing up in the spring. Do you have any recommendations for marinas in the Savannah/Charleston area?

Thanks.
Coastal.Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 12:01   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Was "Cruising Georgia Coast" now "Savannah Marinas"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal.Sailor View Post
............. Do you have any recommendations for marinas in the Savannah/Charleston area? ..... Thanks.
I have a number in the area that I like in transit, but my list does not consider any evaluation of long term storage.

From Skidaway Island north I frequent,-
Isle of Hope Marina; Palmetto Bay Yacht Center; Skull Creek Marina; Beaufort Downtown Marina; St. Johns Yacht Harbor; Charleston Maritime Center & Leland Oil Company (McClellanville). Only The Beaufort Downtown Marina and the Charleston Maritime Center are our regular stops for groceries, laundry, fuel, entertainment, etc. The others are nice, but we anchor out more often.
Old 28-08-2015, 15:42   #22

Boat: 1980 Tartan 33

Two public marinas in Charleston are terrific and convenient to downtown Charleston restaurants
Jack Lahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 11:37   #23

Boat: Amel Maramu 46

Coastal Georgia is beautiful and very interesting. Jacksonville, Charleston, Saint Augustine within a full day's sail from Savannah. However, Most of Coastal Georgia is marshland with shallow sounds, rivers, cuts. Tide variation near Savannah is typically 9 to 10 feet. With good rains, the ebb tide can run 5 or 6 knots. Really have to be on the lookout for where you want to go at what time. You could be bucking a 4 knot current one time and screaming along with the tide and watching for shallow spots. Must motor about 3 miles offshore to get deep enough water to sail down the coast. In my opinion, coastal Georgia is better suited to powerboats, not slow sailboats with keels waiting to get stuck in the mud. Most marinas are long docks parallel to the swift currents. Also, swift, brackish water is barnacle heaven. I docked my boat there and within 2 months, the barnacles had totally encrusted the propeller. Will need good bottom paint and paint for propeller and shaft. I plan to move my boat to Pensacola, where I can actually go for a day sail without needing to figure out whether the tide will allow me to get back before dark.
hyperope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, georgia