Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2010, 19:03   #16

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Good luck fewpossessions, time certainly slows right down once you strat living aboard!
Fair winds from Keith.
Old 21-04-2010, 19:50   #17
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Few possessions, I bought a 31' sloop really cheap and took off cruising in thailand and fix it as I go, instead of gazing at the internet and dreaming about 40' bennys!
Anyhow, "love the one your with"?
Keith.
Wise words and the way to go.

In my case boat size is not the factor, but jobs and days off are.

I have singlehanded prevoius 44' as well as present 33', location of dock and traffic is more of a factor than the size.
(Busy Fort Lauderdale with bridge openings and channels and traffic will slow me down more on a 33' than wide open anchorage in, the Bahamas on a 66'.)

Money is usually a big factor also as Mr. Surfmachine mentioned:
Go poor, go now and go when it feels good.
A fancy air-conditioned gin-palace named Hylas or Oyster won't give adventure but will rather relive boredom...
Old 23-04-2010, 08:59   #18

Boat: C&C 41, Nemesis
Totally agree there is NO wasted time when your out sailing and cruising... no matter what the boat or length...

To answer your question from our experience these last 18 months of going from Mexico to Australia... ~10,000 miles we averaged 5.5 knots... in a C&C41... so we chose a cruiser/racer for speed, especially in lighter winds... BUT we sacrifice room down below... less over-all storage... so just get out there... nothing is perfect... it's all a compromise on a boat... just going out and living your dream is the key!

jeff
CaptStarboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 20:19   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I'll take out a 32 in weather that I wouldn't take a 24 out in. And a 45 in weather that I wouldn't want the 32 in.

So maintenance and cleanup aside, bigger boats can also mean MORE sailing days. Assuming you're either singlehanding or have no problem getting crew together. (The bane of the bigger boat!)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 21:41   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
ah, the wisdom of displacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I'll take out a 32 in weather that I wouldn't take a 24 out in. And a 45 in weather that I wouldn't want the 32 in.
When I first bought my 46-footer I took her out on a bunch of Wednesday-night beercan races just to see what she could do. One night, when I'd won the race against 30+ smaller boats, I found myself listening in on a conversation at the yacht club bar. They were all talking about how ferocious the chop had been on that particular evening, and I found myself wondering, "Chop? Was there chop out there tonight?"

When your spray dodger weighs more than the other fellow's centerboard, you're probably going to be less hesitant to venture forth in a blow.
Old 24-04-2010, 08:29   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
No doubt...
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 12:29   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dodger? DODGER?!
"Real sailors don' need no steenken dodgers!"

Dodgers. Next it will be antimacassars on the salon furniture and saucers under the good china at morning tea, I suppose?

{WEG}
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote