Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2013, 22:51   #1

Boat: Irwin 37 CC
Cruising Checklist

Let me start by saying, I searched for cruising checklists, and simply for checklists. All I really saw was boat buying/survey checklists. If I missed it you have my apologies. I have recently purchased a sailboat that I have sailed on 4 occasions with good reliability with both sailing/rigging systems and general systems. The engine was checked out by a mechanic and he said it did appear to be rebuilt as claimed, with extremely low hours. So I am not worried about it.(still watch coolant temps, head temps, and oil levels like a hawk.) The thing is this, to my surprise my wife wants to spend our anniversary on a weekend cruise! My last sailboat was me trying to make my family UNDERSTAND my love of sailing. Big mistake! Or to be clear at least how I attempted it. They hated it. So, when I bought this boat I told my wife, my daughter, and my son that there would always be a place on this boat for them, but only if that was what they wanted. So the fact that my wife wants to spend our anniversary on a weekend cruise has me scrambling to be ship shape! The boat has excellent systems spares, from a spare prop to 3 extra hooks. I have an official perkins spare kit with impellers, gaskets and filters. I have an old ammo can filled with more filters, impellers and what not. Spare water pump">raw water pump, spare fresh water pump. Gallons of oil! Heads work, radio works, radar works, Bilge pump works(electric and manual), freshwater pump works, chart plotter works, lots of PFDs, insurance is paid up, comfortable with docking, anchor windlass works, navigation lights need to be confirmed(not planning any after dark cruising.) Though, the last time we were out cruising and admiring the masthead light, I thought, "That looks a lot like a solar powered yard light/walkway light jobby." When we got back one of my marina mates commented how my masthead light was on every night all night, despite all the batteries being turned off. Sure enough that night as the sun set the liitle LED winked on. So, other than what I have listed what am I missing? I feel very safe in this boat. I feel she is reliable. But obviously, I want to do all I can to make this a positive experience. I think the biggest step is making sure I keep MY expectations LOW. But I also know, planning and preparing goes a LONG way. ANY advice would be appreciated. Even weekend cruise plans from possession sound, everett in the Puget sound. thanks in advance.

Jeremy
SV Snow Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 23:43   #2

Re: Cruising checklist

Jeremy, there's a good one in this:

http://cblights.com/cruising/Signifi...CW-Bahamas.pdf

I made one years ago by starting with one I found on the web (C320, I think).

I never use it though. You really need to get in the habit of doing things. I single hand a lot, maybe that's why I do it that way.

OTOH, some people like, need or want them.

Your boat, your choice.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 05:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ist-15732.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ist-27400.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ist-72226.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ist-39969.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 07:38   #4

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Jeremy

You have more spare parts on board than some fulltime cruisers carry... for a weekend sail you are well prepared.

The only two things I would suggest... A BoatUS Unlimited Tow Card and at least one spare fan belt.

Good luck and have fun!!!!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 09:14   #5

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Thanks Everyone! I don't know how I missed those lists Gord. This is exactly what I was looking for. Consider my request filled.

Cheers,
Jeremy
SV Snow Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 09:56   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
.................. and at least one spare fan belt. .................
Yeah, 'must keep that fan spinning! I know, I know, but I just can't resist!
Old 24-07-2013, 10:07   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

make sure you have spare hoses of all kinds.
helpful tip----regular garden hose of 3//4 id is awesome for toilet if you find a problem, also with pressure water systems......bring some and pipe repair kits and toilet seal rings --they are beeswax and help with intrusive water problems.

btw--i am not and have not been out here at all, so i may not know anything.....rodlmao

also--my boat is always perfect.never needs repair nor does it break down...lol

glitches happen...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 10:57   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

No idea of your locale - but I would want to dock / anchor early (no after last minute / dark rushing or antics) and to eat ashore of an evening.

and whilst a safety briefing always useful, perhaps best not to scare or confuse her before leaving the dock with a squillion things that could go wrong - but probably won't. and then sail conservatively so they don't!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 23:48   #9

Boat: kuiper 32

you forgot wine and soft music
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 00:20   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder dan View Post
you forgot wine and soft music
and scented candles - Women like stuff like that

and buy her a hat with the word "Admiral" on it .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising