Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2017, 01:22   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Cruising Can Be Boring

I think its a matter of perspective.

Perhaps for me, I literally mean me, the term should be "boater". Very happy to live on a boat in a marina or at anchor, enjoy the life fiddling around and then go sailing for a day or so. Not really into cruising for cruising sake. If I want to go somewhere, I prepare for a holiday, provision and set off. I never got round to being a long term "cruiser" possibly because most of my life Ive traveled and there are few places I actually want to go to now.

Without doubt, there is nothing so nice as being on or near the water. I love it. I also get bored if I dont get around the locale so being on a boat IS PART of life.

Gotta do the boating thing the way it suits you...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 01:53   #77
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I think its a matter of perspective.

Perhaps for me, I literally mean me, the term should be "boater". Very happy to live on a boat in a marina or at anchor, enjoy the life fiddling around and then go sailing for a day or so. Not really into cruising for cruising sake. If I want to go somewhere, I prepare for a holiday, provision and set off. I never got round to being a long term "cruiser" possibly because most of my life Ive traveled and there are few places I actually want to go to now.

Without doubt, there is nothing so nice as being on or near the water. I love it. I also get bored if I dont get around the locale so being on a boat IS PART of life.

Gotta do the boating thing the way it suits you...
Absolutely.

Boating is whatever you make it to be.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 02:47   #78

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

What is cruising, Other than going fast or racing,
Cruising to me is getting from where I am to the next place Ive never been, And I want to see everything the new place has to offer,
Time doesnt exist when I am cruising,

Your moored near a Beach on the pick, , you have rain forest, Desert, Hills, Mountains, A Town, Right in front of you,
Whats the first thing you do, Stay on the boat and whinge, or get off it and explore your surroundings,

Some people enjoy sitting on the couch watching TV and only moving because nature calls, They will do that till they are dead, Fact of life,
I find that Boring, But thats me,

Break downs I dont consider as part of my routine or loss of enjoyment, I just fix it, Calmly, **** Happens, Any thing man made will eventually break down,

Maintenance can be done any time, Before it breaks down, Day or Night, As long as it does get done, Its not a hassle,
Unless you have your day planned out meticulously on a sheet of paper,
Well, A break down is really going to upset your day, hahahaha

Whether its boring or not, Depends on your attitude to life around you,
A closed mind, see's nothing,

A closed mind is the best thing to lose, If you gain an open mind for it,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 03:27   #79

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Absolutely.

Boating is whatever you make it to be.
very good kenomac, very good!
& there are a lot worse places to be in than Seville!!!
Old 24-05-2017, 03:37   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

ahuh..

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 03:49   #81

Boat: no boat any more

good-on-ya, weavis!
our first rtw ended in Seville end of 87 - still fond memories of our stay until we sold her, first downtown (they had some pontoons under a bridge (I seem to recall) & then at anchor in the river opposite Gelves yachtclub (everything must look totally changed now, of course, 30 years is a long time), riding teh buses into town...jostling at the bakery...the magnificent cathedral...o when we were young...
Old 24-05-2017, 04:27   #82
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I tend to get bored fairly easily.

Wherever I am, whatever I am doing boredom always creeps into the situation.

I like to think of it as a sign of
intelligence. [emoji173]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 04:55   #83
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Never been bored cruising (or not) with my best friend and most incredible woman on the planet
Old 24-05-2017, 05:25   #84

Cruising can be boring. This is a surprise? This is news? LIFE can be boring. In fact, it is pretty inevitable that life WILL be boring at times. Heck! If you tried to make every moment of your life exciting, eventually the excitement itself would become boring! That's the nature of the human experience. Cruising doesn't exempt you from the fundamental aspects of living a life.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 06:15   #85
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Cruising can be boring. This is a surprise? This is news? LIFE can be boring. In fact, it is pretty inevitable that life WILL be boring at times. Heck! If you tried to make every moment of your life exciting, eventually the excitement itself would become boring! That's the nature of the human experience. Cruising doesn't exempt you from the fundamental aspects of living a life.
A very western point of view..

Eastern philosophy with advice laid out by the likes of the Buddha points towards the nature of human experience being more malleable , living onboard is such a perfect place to relax out of the conditioning from birth of being selfish and consistently chasing after the next new thing to make you happy.. good idea because the next new thing is fun for about five minutes then the craving moves on to the next next new thing
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 06:30   #86
Marine Service Provider

Once spent 4 months in a body cast ... the only time in my life I have been bored. If you can imagine it, it is real - P.
Old 24-05-2017, 12:04   #87

I'm calling BS on all of this talk of cruising being boring! My wife and I are feeling dejected because GOBs (Grumpy Old Bastards) on sites like this all tell us that even if we spend the money to buy a brand new high-quality boat like a Boreal, we're are committed to spend 4 hours every day doing scheduled and unscheduled maintenance.

Are the GOBs wrong, or can you only be bored on boats that don't have electronics or electric components, and nothing crafted after 1956 - when they knew how to really build them?

Or, pray, could it be that even boats with electric systems and electronics don't require the "morning for the boat" maintenance routine that has so discouraged us?

Can it be that the GOBs just like to Grump whenever someone says that they want a boat that is bit more like home?

So this thread must be BS, because "real" cruisers are committed to daily maintenance, and that must keep it interesting, otherwise there wouldn't be a need for all of these forums?
DnA9413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 12:23   #88
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnA9413 View Post
I'm calling BS on all of this talk of cruising being boring! My wife and I are feeling dejected because GOBs (Grumpy Old Bastards) on sites like this all tell us that even if we spend the money to buy a brand new high-quality boat like a Boreal, we're are committed to spend 4 hours every day doing scheduled and unscheduled maintenance.

Are the GOBs wrong, or can you only be bored on boats that don't have electronics or electric components, and nothing crafted after 1956 - when they knew how to really build them?

Or, pray, could it be that even boats with electric systems and electronics don't require the "morning for the boat" maintenance routine that has so discouraged us?

Can it be that the GOBs just like to Grump whenever someone says that they want a boat that is bit more like home?

So this thread must be BS, because "real" cruisers are committed to daily maintenance, and that must keep it interesting, otherwise there wouldn't be a need for all of these forums?
Whoooo Hoooooo !
Kick ass DNa9413 !
Old 24-05-2017, 13:38   #89

Good reading. Cruising Blues and Their Cure by Robert M Pirsig
normdeeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 14:32   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

The first thirty years of our cruising were interrupted by work. 'back to teaching after a summer in the Bahamas or the Keys... Dry Tortugas. Sometimes shorter cruises for Christmas or Spring break, but always a life with hours separate from my wife who was off with her own music instruction.

We retired at 55 and spent the recent 15 years of cruising all the time and full time together. I was concerned about our ability to endure one another with the same enthusiasm that we shared while we were both involved in separate lives. Would days of sailing and adventuring with just the two of us become mundane and boring?

'didn't happen!

Tags
cruising