Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2015, 06:49   #121
cruiser

Re: Cruising a financially efficient way to see the world?

Gary,

Can I come live with you?

I just found out last evening that my cruising schedule has been extended to 6 months per year in the Med. 'Quit one of my dumb jobs with the wife's approval and recommendation. She will also extend her cruising each year by 6 weeks. Yippy!

At the prices you've quoted, we should obtain British (or is it now UK) residency for health care needs and come live with you the remaining 6 months.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 06:56   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Gary,

Can I come live with you?

I just found out last evening that my cruising schedule has been extended to 6 months per year in the Med. 'Quit one of my dumb jobs with the wife's approval and recommendation. She will also extend her cruising each year by 6 weeks. Yippy!

At the prices you've quoted, we should obtain British (or is it now UK) residency for health care needs and come live with you the remaining 6 months.

Ken
Ken 'O' the Mac

Where you are based, and can zoom over to Morrocco...... you will find you can have MAJOR surgery for 2-3K. The hospitals are good and the care is excellent....... Even if you had to have it in Spain or Italy, its going to be less than your co-share!

Happy for you both. Im Glad mrs P'O'Mac has decided to fully enjoy her life !!
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 07:07   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I think you make some very good points, but you're neglecting selling fees, carrying costs before and after your cruise, and one or two "gotcha" upgrades or repairs that blow your economy of scale.

If you can manage purchasing the boat the day you're leaving on your trip, keep the money put into it to a minimum, and sell it the day you get back, and do it without using a broker, I believe your strategy might work, though you might have to discount the boat rather substantially in order to sell it in one day.

Pay $5K in slip fees at any point during your boat ownership, and that money is gone for sure. Most of the money you put into personalizing the boat and making it safe and comfortable for you is going to be gone also.

I do think cruising can be an efficient means of travel with a lot of planning and a little luck, but I also think it's very easy to overlook a lot of the costs. I also think the more typical experience may be to buy a boat at 50 or 100K, put 35K into it, and sell it for a little less than what it was purchased for.

I think in theory it's very easy to overlook some of the costs when doing this calculation.
There is also great value in being able to stay in one place long term and get to know it.

You really can't do that in hotel rooms, primarily because of cost.

Like I said earlier. My brother has been living aboard for 3 years and living on a steady fixed income of $3,000 a month.

I am also pretty much a do it myselfer - brokers and so on wouldn't come into play.

And you have to make the boat fit the budget - Not a $100k boat +35k in upgrades. A $70k boat and $30k in upgrades. BTW - $35k in upgrades for a 36-42 foot boat is massive.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising