Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-06-2012, 14:13   #61
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Cruisers V General sailors... a world of difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
Come on, you day sailors who never even put anything in the fridge apart from the odd beer have it easy. You sit at home only going out in good sailing weather, the anchor has never been used, and you go out for a quick sail round and back.
Generalizations such as this are as often wrong as right. I spend a lot more time daysailing that Point-A-to-B cruising. The fridge is invariably full, and the anchor gets used almost every time I leave the slip, usually in concert with the grill. I know a lot of cruisers down in La Paz who put far fewer miles on their keels annually than I accrue each year daysailing alone. [

Old 13-06-2012, 14:22   #62

Boat: Oyster 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Generalizations such as this are as often wrong as right. I spend a lot more time daysailing that Point-A-to-B cruising. The fridge is invariably full, and the anchor gets used almost every time I leave the slip, usually in concert with the grill. I know a lot of cruisers down in La Paz who put far fewer miles on their keels annually than I accrue each year daysailing alone. [
Bash, I totally agree with you on the mileage side. I have done a mile in the last two weeks. We moved across the river from one anchorage to the other.
Tomorrow we are thinking of doing another mile and moving back... that is what cruising is all about.

Old 13-06-2012, 14:38   #63

Boat: Sandpiper 565

I've heard that "gentlemen don't sail upwind" presumably this is out of consideration for the admiral and/or guests.

But I ain't no gentleman.
Old 13-06-2012, 14:53   #64

Boat: Oyster 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I've heard that "gentlemen don't sail upwind" presumably this is out of consideration for the admiral and/or guests.

But I ain't no gentleman.
Especially when you have been eating beans...
Old 13-06-2012, 15:50   #65
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now working Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day D&D,

Just curious... how in the world did you do 14000 miles in less than 5 months? What passage was that? Sounds terrible to me... we did 16k miles in our first year of cruising, and that was WAY too many.

IF the weather ever lets up we'll be on the Clarence shortly, and maybe we'l catch up there. Unlikely to be in the marina, but often come over from Iluka by dinghy for the bright lights and tall buildings (ho,ho).

Cheers,

Jim
G'day Jim!

We bought CatNirvana lying in Sardinia and then sailed her to Sydney, via the Panama Canal; that voyage was just under 14000nm. We undertook the delivery voyage with two professionals from Atlantic Yacht Deliveries; those two were of course on a timetable. So it was more a 'delivery' than a 'cruise'. Whilst we accepted there were some great opportunities missed, the voyage was anything but "terrible"; it was fantastic!

Now back in OZ, our passage timetables are MUCH more civilised. We cruised ~ 3-4000nm in the past year.

PM us for contact details if it looks like you'll be entering Clarence Heads. We're around home base at the moment, although hoping to embark on another cruise (heading north) in July. We're not in the Yamba Marina, but if it works out we could certainly share a drink at the Yamba Shores Tavern...?
Old 13-06-2012, 21:19   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
G'day Jim!

We bought CatNirvana lying in Sardinia and then sailed her to Sydney, via the Panama Canal; that voyage was just under 14000nm. We undertook the delivery voyage with two professionals from Atlantic Yacht Deliveries; those two were of course on a timetable. So it was more a 'delivery' than a 'cruise'. Whilst we accepted there were some great opportunities missed, the voyage was anything but "terrible"; it was fantastic!

Now back in OZ, our passage timetables are MUCH more civilised. We cruised ~ 3-4000nm in the past year.

PM us for contact details if it looks like you'll be entering Clarence Heads. We're around home base at the moment, although hoping to embark on another cruise (heading north) in July. We're not in the Yamba Marina, but if it works out we could certainly share a drink at the Yamba Shores Tavern...?
G'Day again D&D,

Aha, that explains it: delivery trip, not a cruise. Still sounds kinda brutal to me, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do! We too have backed off on our milage... have averaged between 5 and 6 K miles per year since we got into the S pacific, even less a couple of times, but we have no goals in this regard, just moving by season and by whim. Likely go back to New Cal once again later this year, but meanwhile want to get further north, for it is too damn cold here!

We will be on the Clarence for sure (as much as anything is ever for sure). The chap who built our boat is located about a mile upstream from Maclean, and we will be staying anchored off his shed for a while whilst we catch up and maybe do some maintenance.

Anyhow, I'll try to PM you when we finally get out of the bloody lake!

Cheers,

Jim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: