1. Thou shalt not leave on a passage
without having shaken thee and thy crew and thy vessel down beforehand.
2. Thou shalt let the weather
, not the calendar, determine when thee departeth.
3. Thou shalt reef when nightfall or the black cloud approacheth, not wait till it arriveth.
4. Thou shalt gaze round the entire horizon at least every 12 minutes.
5. Thou shalt not sail through uncharted reefs
at night or in poor visibility.
6. Thou shalt not anchor
too close to thy neighbor.
7. Thou shalt know how to bleed thine own diesel
, and to heave thine own vessel to.
8. Thou shalt not over-burden thy vessel, with unneeded provisions, spares, or books
9. Thou shalt respect thy crew and their needs, or thou shall single-hand.
10. Thou shalt not spoil it for those who sail behind thee.