Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2017, 07:09   #91

Boat: Anastasiades One off 132'
Re: CrowdFunding

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotiansailor View Post
Everyone is saying just about the same thing as you (not singling you out).

I am a student, I also work 35 hours/week, pay rent etc... I'm not looking for people to pay my way, just to reduce the burden on me.

No need for belittlement
scotiansailor: if you're studying and working 35 hours per week, here's a tip: work more hours....
most people on here did not get to a boat doing 9 - 5 stuff, they've worked harder than the average man to get something the average man (sorry: or woman) doesn't have; a boat.

if you want someone to "sponsor" you you'll need to do something extra.

if you do go out racing because you already have a boat invest in a good waterproof action camera, film your races from the onboard perspective and see if you'll be able to market that on youtube type channels. then you could ask for funding as you are doing that extra thing, that sets most boaters apart from the rest.... pretty much all of us did that "extra thing" (robbed a bank, ran a methlab, stuff like that)
Old 08-07-2017, 18:29   #92
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Wow... I guess it's better than being a jerk.

If you don't want to drop a shekel in their digital hat, then don't. You don't have to get moral and demeaning about it. Most successful crowd fundees provide real value as they extend their cap-in-hand. Usually this is in the form of video content, but the range is quite wide. They offer something, and some people buy it; isn't this how a market is supposed to work?

If you see no value in the offerings, then move on. No need for insults or moralizing.
Right on Mike! ...And as our good friend Zee would probably caution:

"If you 'Moral Eyes', be careful not to blink. [emoji4]
Old 08-07-2017, 18:44   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotiansailor View Post
Hi All,

I'm wondering what people think of the use of crowdfunding to finance their sailing adventures. I have started to consider using something like gofundme to help offset some of my travel, food, gear costs, etc.. My biggest overall thing for this summer is some offshore racing on the West Coast (SoCal 300 and TransPac) and I'm from the East Coast.

Thoughts?
Wondering what you decided to do? If you are out racing, I sure hope you are having fun!

I think what you asked is COMPLETELY up to you. I think in-between some of the humor and other stuff there was some really good points for you to think about.

If you are just asking for donations from friends and family, that could probably happen but I don't see a big desire for strangers who do not know you to show interest in donating. Too many other causes such as homelessness, animal rights, children hospitals...etc. and those tend to be the places people freely give.

If you are doing something for Patreon then you do have to give your patrons something in return. Your videos need to be consistent and good quality. Many are successful but many are not.

I would work like crazy, save everything you can, make the sacrifice, make a budget and set a date. Do not rely on others to get you through this life..you accomplishing this on your own will give you a greater satisfaction.

That's my 2 cents for what it is worth. Whatever you do, keep us updated. I'm interested in how this all works out for you and how you accomplish your dreams!
Old 08-07-2017, 18:50   #94

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAndLee View Post
/snip
work like crazy, save everything you can, make the sacrifice, make a budget and set a date. Do not rely on others to get you through this life
Awesomeness.

/thread
Old 08-07-2017, 19:37   #95

Boat: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I take offense at the guys begging on the street corner who walk a couple blocks every evening get in their Mercedes and drive to their nice house....
LOL ... fake news going back at least to the 1890s and spanning at least two continents. The AC Doyle short story The Man with the Twisted Lip used this long-standing urban legend as its key plot point.
Old 08-07-2017, 20:07   #96
CF Adviser

No exactly, I did it a bit later

In the early 70's as a university students taking psychology and sociology classes, I spent a few Saturday nights begging on East Hastings Street in front of a famous place called the "Only Seafood Resteraunt" in Vancouver.
Those that might not remember the place.....You would get both bums and Mayors eating there at the plain counters as the fresh seafood was really cheap but really good...

I varied my dress , my attitude and words, depending on the customers and whether they were going in 'hungry' or leaving 'satiated'. Noting my success and aggressive responses for a paper I was writing.

Parked on Hastings within sight was my lovingly restored Porsche 914, that always drew a few comments when I left around 9pm.

It taught me a lot about marketing and what are the key motivators for most of us

Just checked, the Only closed in 2009

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/lo...918/story.html
Old 08-07-2017, 20:41   #97

Boat: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
No exactly, I did it a bit later ...
Well, OK, but unless you paid for your Porsche with the proceeds of your panhandling, and maybe your college education as well, then it's not really the same thing. At least, I'm pretty sure that was the implication of Valhalla's post and it is the implication of the long-standing urban legend. It's the idea that there are panhandlers who get rich off the generosity of of others, when the overwhelming majority of them are in fact mentally ill, addicts, and often both, who cannot do anything else. Suggesting otherwise contributes nothing to solving the problem.

For what it's worth, I had a very good friend who did this in college. Well, she supplied some value in that she played a very obscure musical instrument, a hammer dulcimer. She set up in the fall for every home football game. In Knoxville, that mean a lot of people, all in a good mood (before the game, anyway) and she played Rocky Top over and over again.

She made enough for beer money and maybe a cheeseburger, but she wasn't driving no Mercedes (nor a Porsche).
Old 08-07-2017, 20:51   #98
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeachbum View Post
Well, OK, but unless you paid for your Porsche with the proceeds of your panhandling, and maybe your college education as well, then it's not really the same thing.
Yup....Got me there....!
Graveyard shifts, Weekends and Holidays working in a Plywood Mill, kept me fed......
And the Porsche came out of a local junk yard as an insurance write off..... Yard owner let me work there to help pay it off and source parts for me to use.

Now that I think about it....maybe that kind of help to a young guy is a form of Crowd funding[emoji90]
Old 08-07-2017, 22:23   #99

Quote:
I take offence when people make assumptions about other people based simply on their own biased or distorted view using rare or exceptional anecdotes as the excuse.

No one argues against your silly Mercedes example. And bad apples make it worse for all. But to simply assume that b/c there is some fraud in the system, that all who ask for help are fraudsters is not borne out by any actual data.
My assumption is based on the facts. He offered ZERO indication that he was providing a service or other benefit to those who would fund his permanent vacation.

Omitting key information is still information. If he comes back and clarifies that could change my answer but even after people pointed out that he should provide a benefit, he still didn't change his story.

The example is perfectly valid. Given limited information and a significant percentage of scammers, people will shy away from helping them. You can pretend it doesn't happen but it does.
Old 08-07-2017, 22:24   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeachbum View Post
LOL ... fake news going back at least to the 1890s and spanning at least two continents. The AC Doyle short story The Man with the Twisted Lip used this long-standing urban legend as its key plot point.
Amazing, so the guy I know and see do this in downtown Detroit is a figment of my imagination.

Good to know.
Old 08-07-2017, 23:28   #101
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Dunno about the OP, but this thread just keeps on giving and it's free
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 09-07-2017, 06:29   #102

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Geeze folks, when does a reasonable rebuke turn into cruel ridicule?
I just spent 11 pages of reading looking for the cruel ridicule. Disappointing, as all I saw was some good natured humor between other members directed at each other. If you think being called a con man (that was the worst I found) is cruel and ridicule, you seem to be as thin skinned as the easily offended millennial.

Quote:
Enough of the moralizing.
If you ask a question that is inherently a moral issue, I think you should be prepared for some moralizing, which is part of the nature of opinions, which is what the OP asked for. You've now spent three pages beating that horse on a thread that's been dead for months.
Old 25-05-2018, 23:51   #103

Boat: Seawind 1160, 38 foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Mick C

Have a look at “sailing La Vagabond” on YouTube and read their story. They do exactly this
Old 26-05-2018, 01:04   #104
CF Adviser

Quote:
Yes, and he was immediately told this is not a good idea by me, and many others. No need for insults or moralizing.
Hi Mike,
I agree with you but when someone asks if soliciting donations to fund their personal desires is a "Good" idea, they are basically inviting some form of moral comment.

To me, it is a waste of time to moralise other's actions as the intensity of an individual's desire often clouds and rationalizes their judgement.

At the end of the day, we will all hum that famous Sinatra song and judge ourselves, perhaps more harshly than onlookers
Old 26-05-2018, 05:52   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Rubbish.... WHy don't they do a song and dance on a street corner with a tin cup? Get a job and save like everyone else does. Or you can marry money of be born to a rich family..

Marrying a rich divorcee is my goal. But in getting on the wrong side of 60 so I'm not sure of my chances. But it's still better than hearing me sing.
Closed Thread

Tags
fun, funding