Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 14:48   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: CrowdFunding

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
So if I get me a speedo and post videos on youtube I too can be rich and famous?
I'm going to post videos of me in speedos here.

If you don't want to spend a fortune on eye-bleach: I will refrain from doing so if I reach $5,000 on my sponsorship site by the end of the month.

http://givememoneyorIwillshowyoumyspeedos.com
Old 20-03-2017, 15:35   #47

Boat: Catalina 320

Thank God I can sail year round and I'm so old I don't know or understand most of this thread.
Old 20-03-2017, 16:10   #48
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
we have just developed a syndicate!
No, let's be clear, you are the with speedo group which is entirely different then my without speedo threat! I can also add this detail that should horrify everyone reading this and really get the money rolling in: I am about 260 lbs !!! You have been warned !!!
Old 20-03-2017, 16:12   #49
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I'm going to post videos of me in speedos here.

If you don't want to spend a fortune on eye-bleach: I will refrain from doing so if I reach $5,000 on my sponsorship site by the end of the month.

http://givememoneyorIwillshowyoumyspeedos.com
I tried sending money but the site is not up yet
Old 20-03-2017, 17:12   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
I tried sending money but the site is not up yet
I had that same problem. Come on Stu, Lets get with the program
Old 20-03-2017, 17:26   #51
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotiansailor View Post
Everyone is saying just about the same thing as you (not singling you out).

I am a student, I also work 35 hours/week, pay rent etc... I'm not looking for people to pay my way, just to reduce the burden on me.

No need for belittlement
Just to be serious for a moment, let's see how this works.

Step 1. Up your hours to 40 a week.
Step 2. Ease my burden with your extra money.
Step 3. If that works out OK for you then it will probably work out in reverse..(except not with me - sorry - my burden is now reduced - thanks)
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 20-03-2017, 17:31   #52

A colleague of mine secured a bit of gov't sponsorship for Derek Hatfields (RIP sir) run at his first Vendee Globe. Took a lot of work for a very good cause. Show some justification beyond simply sticking your hand out and I'll think about funding you. So far the guys in/not the Speedos have the best odds of getting my donation. What is seen cannot be unseen. Now that's motivation to donate.
Old 20-03-2017, 18:04   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Hey it is apparently working for La vagabonde ?

So many forget what vlogs like La Vaga or Delos or others does to produce a 15-20 minute video. It has been mentioned here that 30 seconds of video takes 1 hour of editing. That corresponds to roughly 30-40 hours of editing each week. Plus filming. That's on top of boat maintenance, provisioning, and oh yeah, that pesky sailing thing. Some of them are working 60 to 80 hours a week to produce weekly videos

These people work hard for the money they earn. And when you watch a video from SV Delos, (the one I do support in a minor way), some of the editing and camera work is quite spectacular
Old 21-03-2017, 10:42   #54

Quote:
So if I get me a speedo and post videos on youtube I too can be rich and famous?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Post that pic Skip … then we can tell you .
Skip, my eyes are already in bad shape. So for my eyes sake, please ignore Mike's suggestion and do not post photos of you banana hammock!

My eyes and stomach thank you in advance.

On Edit: I should have stopped reading this discussion since I now have to pay Stu to not post his video. <sigh> Did Patron have this in mind.....

Later,
Dan
Old 21-03-2017, 11:13   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Skip, my eyes are already in bad shape. So for my eyes sake, please ignore Mike's suggestion and do not post photos of you banana hammock!

My eyes and stomach thank you in advance.

On Edit: I should have stopped reading this discussion since I now have to pay Stu to not post his video. <sigh> Did Patron have this in mind.....

Later,
Dan
OK. looks like you all get lucky. For the sake of the family honor and to avoid possible lifetime scarring of my new granddaughter (in case she figures out how to use the internet), the wife has strictly forbidden my publishing any pictures that show me in any less than modest attire.
Old 21-03-2017, 12:06   #56

Boat: 10' surfboard

A factor to consider that I have not yet seen mentioned here is the amount of outright abuse that is dished out to anyone who chronicles their life in the public eye.

Some sailing channels were started by what appears to be happy people with great plans, and the comments are so vicious it is unbelievable. EVERYTHING is criticized, especially the appearance of the people in the video. racial slurs, horrible comments about peoples wives even!

You put yourself out there, and the world chews you up and spits you out. that is show business.

For every vagabonde there is untold failed attempts bearing the scars and humiliating saga now online.

Maybe try a facebook page with regular updates. if people are following it and interested, move up to a blog, then a video vlog then later add paid subscription. if your not getting a lot of interest in a simple facebook page why would you in video format?

I still see no reason to give people money for youtube videos. No, I won't buy you a beer. but others might.

If you think people are a little harsh here with handout comments and such, just wait till you post something on youtube. Especially something asking for money...
Old 21-03-2017, 12:22   #57

Quote:
OK. looks like you all get lucky. For the sake of the family honor and to avoid possible lifetime scarring of my new granddaughter (in case she figures out how to use the internet), the wife has strictly forbidden my publishing any pictures that show me in any less than modest attire.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Later,
Dan
Old 21-03-2017, 12:29   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Later,
Dan
Hey, don't push it. I might spare the masses but annoy me and there's always a PM to get revenge.
Old 21-03-2017, 12:32   #59

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Being a vicious, abusive individual who relishes dishing it out to anyone who chronicles their life in the public eye:

If I do not receive $15k in donations for MY sailing efforts before the end of the week YOU KNOW WHO will call me home:

Old 21-03-2017, 12:40   #60

Boat: Lots of boats.

Quote:
So many forget what vlogs like La Vaga or Delos or others does to produce a 15-20 minute video. It has been mentioned here that 30 seconds of video takes 1 hour of editing. That corresponds to roughly 30-40 hours of editing each week. Plus filming.
Well, not exactly. SV Delos is actually almost a year behind. They are showing videos of their second trip to Madagascar that happened close to a year ago. They have been hanging out in South Africa and flying in and out to visit family and additional sponsors.

Understandable that most video folks are a few weeks behind because of the effort needed to edit video, but Delos took a pretty hefty break and still got paid by spacing out their videos. I wish they would have shown more boat maintenance that was done while in South Africa, but that's not what viewers are generally looking for. So I watch "Life is Like Sailing" and "Sail Life" to get my fix of boat maintenance and restoration.

And I feel for "Keep Turning Left" where a professional camera man has made some wonderful National Geographic like videos of his trip around the UK but because its cold and his lovely wife stays in jeans, he is struggling to continue. Instead we get "Sailing Doodles" where a likeable guy is pretty much pan-handling online and having a good old time in the Caribbean. He's even looking at upgrading his boat. No doubt so he can place more babes onboard to increase viewership. Which is what it takes to increase hits.

Look at the view count from Delos where the intro image shows an elephant compared to the number of views when the girls are cupping themselves to stay covered up. The difference is in tens of thousands of views. I won't bash them too bad because they are still my favorite overall. The combination of all of the above keeps my interest and the guy himself is pretty humble and intelligent.

Sorry for the rant on sailing videos. I complain and watch them at the same time. Its now part of my daily routine. But as many have mentioned, you would have better luck making money by trying out for a major sports team. Or standing on the corner with a tin cup in your hand...
Closed Thread

Tags
fun, funding