Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 16:46   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
crossing wakes with an old flame

I was out in the sea kayak this afternoon when I spotted a boat I'd lived aboard for eight years. She was headed up the channel, so I gave chase for a couple miles before she finally turned into a marina. I was able to get there just in time to help the owner--it turns out he was owner #3--tie up in a slip.

They'd just bought the boat from the guy I'd sold it to, and had a zillion questions. For example, he'd found the in-deck faucet for the wash-down pump, but couldn't find the control switch. Stuff like that. And they'd just discovered the 90% mylar jib I'd had made, which they didn't realize they were buying with the boat.

It was fun to see the boat: new dodger, new digital radar, new electric toilets, new fridge, et cetera, and fun to be able to point out some of the modifications I'd made of which they were unaware, like a system to rig a preventer.

Totally made my day! I was so glad that they are living aboard and a year away from cruising the boat to Mexico.

Anyone else had such an experience?
Old 06-07-2012, 17:04   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: crossing wakes with an old flame

I was on the HAM one night listening to the Pacific Seafarers net. During check in, a voyager checked in on a vessel named "Radiance II". We had a small QSO and learned it was my boat I rescued from the Barstow Desert in 1986, Spent 2 1/2 years restoring and had 6 great years with up and down the Ca. coast. I made many friends while on that boat.
I guess it's true that we put our hearts and souls into our boats and that's where they stay.
This guy had cruised the Pacific and was headed to Alaska. One of the changes I made to it was putting a Santa Cruz 50 rudder on it. Totally bullet proof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1732823_2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	43108  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote