Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2018, 07:12   #1

Boat: Hunter, 38, 38 Feet
Crossing Miami to West End Grand Bahama - buddy boat or advice?

We are waiting on weather to cross from Biscayne Bay to the West End later next week. Does anyone else want to join us or does anyone have any advice about the crossing to share? We are in a well equipped 38 foot sailboat.
ahoymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 07:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Crossing Miami to West End Grand Bahama - buddy boat or advice?

One bit of info, I was there last year and they still had not repaired the power to the docks. So no shore power and no hot water in the showers (or light for that matter). Good news, the dock rates are half off.

Also very good place to clear customs. Office is right next to the gas dock and staffed M-F 9-5.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 08:12   #3

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Why West End? You can clear in at Lucaya and be close to the action. From Miami, I think most go to Bimini.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 08:18   #4

I would avoid Lucaya. We use to visit there annually, but it has gone downhill. I did not feel as safe and crime has gotten worse. A center console was stolen from the same dock as we were on last time. I would do West End and then keep heading up to the Abacos.
spearfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 08:20   #5

Buddy boating is for many part of the herd mentality..It makes you feel safer or many heads are better than one. Your much better off making your own decisions because your buddy boat might not be as wise as you are. The more people involved in a decision the greater the chance of a bad decision. When you have developed your confidence to a level that your only comfortable with what you decide then your probably fine to buddy boat because if you don't agree with others you'll simply do it your way.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 08:39   #6

With continuing strong south east winds you will get a better ride and slant on the wind if you leave from Miami or Angelfish Creek and get a 25 mile free ride with the Gulfstream to West End.

I have done it over 10 times.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 08:42   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

If you're looking to buddy boat, go to No Name Harbor on the end of Key Biscayne - there are usually quite a few boats waiting on a weather window to cross the Gulf Stream, usually headed for Bimini. For Bimini I usually head southeast until about mid-stream, then turn to the northeast and slingshot to Bimini. For West End, just head northeast I imagine.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 09:14   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Buddy boating is for many part of the herd mentality..It makes you feel safer or many heads are better than one. Your much better off making your own decisions because your buddy boat might not be as wise as you are. The more people involved in a decision the greater the chance of a bad decision. When you have developed your confidence to a level that your only comfortable with what you decide then your probably fine to buddy boat because if you don't agree with others you'll simply do it your way.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 09:24   #9

Boat: Islander Bahama 30'

Great info here. We're starting to prepare for our first crossing next February. I'll also take any experienced advice!
Coastal Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 12:02   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 12:04   #11

Boat: Hunter, 38, 38 Feet

Having a buddy BOAT is not about making decisions. It's about agreeing to a route and when you leave beforehand. If someone has trouble - engine trouble or some other trouble you're there to help each other. We've done plenty of crossings by ourselves but it's enjoyable having company.
ahoymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 12:13   #12

was there a month ago, lights on, fuel good, great food the a friendly mako shark to welcome you when you get in, 13 footer at least. no worries, went from west end to west palm beach, am on a trawler
guateman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 12:25   #13

Boat: Boatless

No name harbor for sure!

Have fun. I wouldn’t think to much about buddy boats. Just go.

That being said NOT on a northerly :-)

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 14:26   #14

Boat: Hunter 33.5

Have made the trip multiple times from Ft.Lauderdale, leave after 8pm and motorsail at about 089 or 090 degrees. You should have a an Epirb. Have a Bahamas chip in your GPS ( last time for me was about 2009 or so).
Watch the weather, in the winter the wind is from the NE making it very very difficult.
End of June they have, "Abaco Race Week", that is when you want to be there.........!
tdh1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 16:56   #15

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Most important thing on your boat is your seamanship, sailing, and navigational knowlege.

Keeping a flotilla together at night or in rough conditions can be problematic, and what is the experience and sailing ability of the other vessel or vessels. That refers to the boats and the skippers and crew.

The posts here, have passed on great scoops . The knowledge on this board is amazing.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You wanted to know any information, including a flotila or buddy boating,

I have lead flotillas of up to 12 boats , BVI's, Windards and Grenadines, Kingdom of Tonga, and southern california coast and Catalina, However, no matter if two boats or 12, we have a pre cruise meeting about procedures, VHF freqs, watch standing, early reefing down, what to do if such such occurs and a thorough chart briefing,and each crew does their own nav, pos. finding, char reading, ships log , and has studied their own cruising guide, and arrival procedures.

Some of the situations that have occured on flotillas, or buddy boating.

1. I was going on my first catalina check out cruise, ( required by the sailing club before sailing to catalina solo ). I was not an instructor at that time. I was just another club member, with my date who had day sailed with me a few times.

The passage was about 11 hours plus that was due to prevailing wind direction,, which was coming from our destination. Most of the boats were 30 to 42 footers, I was blessed with an old Cal 25.....no reef cringles sewn into the main. I had two jib sails, a 110 lapper and a 150 genoa. No VHF radio . GPS was not even available.

The fleet, left Newport bay, and "sailed" along the calif coast, to L.A. harbor area, where we made our tack to cross the San Pedro Channel to Emerald Bay, Catalina Island. There was one instructor boat and the rest of us had gone thru our 42 hrs of sailing lessons, plus coastal navigation, and day sails out along the coast.

Stay Together, was pounded into our psyches. I was flying the huge red, white and blue paneled 150 genoa. Our Little Cal 25, number 280 ( it did not even have a name ) was now leading the fleet with L.A. Harbor area far behind. We were hauling okole across the pond.

Well, the wind increases and we are heeling over, the portlights are in the water and we look like a glass bottom boat. I could not reef down with this main. I grab the 110% Lapper to change down. None of that roller snarling head sail program back in those days.

Little Val is at the Tiller, and I go up to bring the 150 down, un-hank it and stuff it down the forward hatch to stow in its sail bag later. I hank on the sail out of the 110% marked sail bag, and haul up on the halyard.

I sheet in the lapper, the wind is howling and it is nearly sunset. We had fallen of the wind and eased the main sheet to reduce the heel of the vessel.

Sheet winched in whammo ! Instantly , we are heeled over rail in the water, rounding up, bloody hell, some dock staff warf rat had stuffed another 150 in to the lapper marked sail bag. My bad for not taking it out of the sail bag, at the docks and checking the size of that sail. MY responsibility

Well, by the time I get everything squared away, the second 150 down and lashed to the life line, we are on a close reach , no huge heeling factor, comfortable , making good speed under the main. Of course the sun has well set, the rest of the fleet has vanished from sight. They all were close hauled with reefed mains and jib sails.

No worries. I have a compass and a chart and comfortable under jib alone. Sailing off the wind.

We were heading toward long point, a few miles from our planned flotilla destination.

Once in the lee of Catalina, we started the outboard, and motored up to Emerald Bay, no naviads , no lighted buoys, no restaurants, and a reef at the entrance. We made it just fine, not too far behind the other boats who were now partying on their moorings.

Point being, I was prepared just in case we would become separated. I had the necessary charts, and used coastal navigation. I could not rely on the flotilla leader or the other boats to help me out. My boat was my responsibility.

We arrived about 11 pm, and picked up a mooring. We had left Newport Bay about 10:45 am.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kingdom of Tonga ( many years later ) ....only two sailing club boats...I was a U.S.C.G Licensed Capt, and leader of our small ' buddy boat ' Tonga Cruise. Prior to us even getting on the plane, I had three cruise meetings, and went over the sailing directions repeatedly with both of our crews. There was one Anchorage, where you absolutely could not take the small passage between an off shore rock and land. That info was also made known by the briefer from the Moorings Base.

The other vessel's skipper had some sailing experience, but was rather impressed by himself . After a couple of days , all was going well, and we were headed to this particular island. Prior to departure, I showed the skipper of the other vessel the cruising guide depictions and again warned him about NOT going thru that narrow channel, take that rock on the outside. And to follow our boat.

Nope, we are getting ready to depart, and here he goes sailing off way ahead of us.
I call on the VHF, no reply.

An hour or so later, I hear on the VHF.....MOORINGS, MOORINGS, MOORINGS , we are on the reef at such and such. Yep , ran that 42 footer up on that very reef that he had been warned about.

By the time we got there, the moorings rescue boat had not quite arrived. The errant skipper had caused an injury to the helmsman, the skipper was on bow watch. Nearly flew over the bow pulpit. They hit the reef and the 70 yr old man at the helm, with the very sudden stop upon hitting the reef, the helmsman's face and head impacted the wheel, and was temporary un-conscious. However, after a few seconds, he was aware, and took over, as the skipper was immobile and useless. The helmsman was the one on the radio calling the moorings and giving their pos and situation,

A local fishing boat was near by, and pulled the vessel off the reef. The moorings also arrived. We had to take the boat back to the moorings base the next morning for inspection, and possible ' calling of the charter '....sending the whole crew back to the U.S.A. There was some minor damage, but they let them continue the rest of the bare boat charter. If they stayed with me.

There are other situations, but the point being, each skipper needs to be able to take care of themselves, and be seawise and knowledgeable. And be thoroughly prepared for the passage .

Regardless, the skipper is responsible for the navigation, and safety of his vessel and the crew and passengers. The excuse of I WAS JUST FOLLOWING THAT OTHER BOAT, is NOT going to work, as you followed him into danger.

In later years, we no longer wished to lead flotilas, and for the last twenty or more years, for our international cruises it is just Erica and I. Hassle free.

Again, we strongly believe, that if you are on a flotilla cruise, or a buddy boat, it is a good idea to thoroughly plan the passage as well, and know what you are doing , and be able to handle any situation with out depending on some one else, especially if you do not know anything about them or their abilities.

Is having another vessel sailing along with you a good plan. Sure . But, you are ultimately responsible for your actions.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, miami