Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2018, 07:10   #16

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: Crossing Miami to West End Grand Bahama - buddy boat or advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish3 View Post
I would avoid Lucaya. We use to visit there annually, but it has gone downhill. I did not feel as safe and crime has gotten worse. A center console was stolen from the same dock as we were on last time. I would do West End and then keep heading up to the Abacos.
When was that? There isn't much crime on Gr Bahama, at least compared to other islands, or the US for that matter. You don't have to stay in Lucaya - just check in and move on. There are more secure marinas in and near Lucaya, if that's your thing.
There is SFA out in West End; maybe suitable if the OP is bound for the Abacos. I would think it's a bit cool at this time of the year to be going there.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 08:18   #17

Boat: 26 Bayliner 2650 Explorer

We have done the trip at least six times in our trawler, couple of times with buddies, mostly by ourselves. Last time we went from Lake Worth to Mangrove Key anchored, next day went to Spanish Key and cleared customs.

I advise not to do this at night, West End has a fairly narrow jetty entrance and with seas running I like to see those rocks. And as posted on Active Captain and by others, never, never, cross with a significant north component. North wind stacks up against the Gulfstream and you have the "elephants marching". Entering the banks north of West end and going to Mangrove needs to be done with care, the banks are shallow, 5-7 ft in many places.
Capt Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:24   #18

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoymon View Post
Having a buddy BOAT is not about making decisions. It's about agreeing to a route and when you leave beforehand. If someone has trouble - engine trouble or some other trouble you're there to help each other. We've done plenty of crossings by ourselves but it's enjoyable having company.
True dat! Buddy boat is not done for companionship, herd mentality or committee decisions. If your boat catches fire, you probably want to jump on mine instead of into the sea with your lifejacket and strobe light
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 09:46   #19

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Buddy boating is for many part of the herd mentality..It makes you feel safer or many heads are better than one. Your much better off making your own decisions because your buddy boat might not be as wise as you are. The more people involved in a decision the greater the chance of a bad decision. When you have developed your confidence to a level that your only comfortable with what you decide then your probably fine to buddy boat because if you don't agree with others you'll simply do it your way.
True, unless you’re the ‘unwise’ one, in which case it’s both a learning experience and a confidence builder.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 10:08   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailshabby View Post
True, unless you’re the ‘unwise’ one, in which case it’s both a learning experience and a confidence builder.
I hear ya and you make a point. If your out there with someone who is qualified to instruct you then I guess it would help you but in my experience sometimes it's the blind leading the blind.
There are times a small flotilla is an advantage, doing a passage around certain areas around Honduras comes to mind.
Personally I believe your learning curve is much faster when you take responsibility for all your own planning, weather decisions etc. as there is a natural tendency to delegate these to your buddies. Sometimes a take charge person is not the wiser one but people tend to follow these types. It's still my opinion that you are safer to look after everything yourself and if that means you don't feel like doing a certain passage when others want to go you should stay put, buddies or not.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, miami