Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2014, 01:02   #91
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Crocodiles in the Kimberley

Meanwhile, the Kangaroo is developing some worrying behaviours.

Watch a Kangaroo Punch a Drone Out of the Sky (VIDEO) : People.com Mobile
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 05:01   #92

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Sorry, OT but I thought this was funny (red bellied black snake if you aren't from these parts).

Old 22-12-2014, 05:22   #93

A couple of things to remember:

* Crocs seldom eat. By that I mean that we, warm blooded humans, need to burn food as fuel to maintain our body temperatures. Crocs don't do that, they are cold blooded and lie in the sun to maintain their body temperature. So they don't need nearly as much food. A full grown adult croc in the wild might only eat once every 6 months or sometimes less often -- a meal once every 2 years has been recorded in African crocs (although that meal comprises an entire zebra or wildebeest). So if you spot a croc there's a good chance it's not hungry. Leave them well enough alone and they will do the same to you -- they are not voracious predators.

* Drop bears are a problem throughout Australia however it's well known that smearing vegemite on the end of your nose will ward them off. Also a little behind each ear for good measure. It allows you to blend in with their natural colouring and makes the drop bear think you are one of them, which will ward them off attacking. Of course this carries an entirely separate set of dangers if you try it during mating season, so be wary of the drop bear mating call.

* Another way of warding off drop bear attacks is to carry a can of pepper spray. Spray it in their faces if they attack. It's also important to wear a felt hat with corks hanging from the brim and spray a liberal amount on your hat to discourage them from falling from above.

* Although drop bears look like koalas they are quite different. You can tell the difference if you can track their droppings in the area. Koala droppings are smaller, contain traces of leaf litter, and have a distinctive eucalyptus smell. Drop bear scat is larger, contains traces of felt and cork and smells like pepper spray.
delatbabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 05:46   #94

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Sure the coastal areas have some bitey, stingy things but do you notice that no-one lives inland?

It's not that it's hot and dry, rather the billion flies/sq km are starving for salt and dying of thirst and suicide up your nose and into your mouth. 78% of people go completely insane within 2 days and realise it's better if everyone dies and the flies win.
Old 22-12-2014, 05:53   #95

Drop bear.
Name:   1419256399943.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  18.0 KB

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 07:13   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by delatbabel View Post
A couple of things to remember:
· Crocs seldom eat. -- they are not voracious predators.
That bad news how are we supposed to control humans over population? And by the way in the dry (cold season), they wear ice skates when they are looking for a prey. So now you know when you can give them a cuddle.
No ice skates, not hungry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I do believe that the Gadicha is a Kimberley resident but I have very little knowledge of them, perhaps Chala may be so kind as to elucidate.
Sorry but you need to be initiated you know, men, women secret business. The only thing I can tell you is they are a cross between a yeti and a big foot.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 12:08   #97
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparau View Post
Sure the coastal areas have some bitey, stingy things but do you notice that no-one lives inland?

It's not that it's hot and dry, rather the billion flies/sq km are starving for salt and dying of thirst and suicide up your nose and into your mouth. 78% of people go completely insane within 2 days and realise it's better if everyone dies and the flies win.
Is that why Australia manufactures and sells

'Wack-Off'... advertised "as used by the Australian armed forces"

(I am not making this up)
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 12:30   #98

Bad News! They're spreading south.

We recently spotted this croc on Fraser Island:

44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 02:27   #99

With all the thread drift I'm somewhat surprised that one the Kimberley's biggest dangers hasn't yet been mentioned so let me rectify that.

I refer, of course, to the Bunyip. I realise that the Bunyip is not a beachside animal but for the cruising sailor who may wander a little inland, please be aware that they do inhabit almost every waterhole or billabong. I'll leave it up to those interested to do their own google research but here are some images to get your interest whetted.

Bunyip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 23-12-2014, 02:43   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
Sorry but you need to be initiated you know, men, women secret business. The only thing I can tell you is they are a cross between a yeti and a big foot.

Of course, how remiss of me to forget the social subtleties - a charge unfortunately often levied at me and all too often, accurate.

One thing I've overheard is that the Gadicha traditionally walks backwards so if you follow their footprints, be warned they may well be behind you.
Old 23-12-2014, 02:45   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Bad News! They're spreading south.

We recently spotted this croc on Fraser Island:

Yikes, they will be in found in the Bass Straits islands before we know it.
Old 23-12-2014, 02:50   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparau View Post
Sorry, OT but I thought this was funny (red bellied black snake if you aren't from these parts).

Funny??

Just what sort of sense humour do you have..

Bludi scary if you ask me .
Old 23-12-2014, 02:51   #103

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

*smirk*
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Croc.png
Views:	543
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	94156  

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 04:04   #104

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Don't forget the CUBS from the outlying suburbs of the larger cities are spreading to the Kimberley region and beyond.
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 06:13   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
We non-Aussies are always overwhelmed by the politeness of Aussies to each other and the rest of the world.
Do not be fooled. A nice day for a true blue start by going to the pub wearing the best footy jersey, a pair of stubbies short and a pair of thongs and returning home after having wrecked the pub with one thong, a torn jersey, a pair of shredded stubbies, two black eyes, peeled knees and elbows and a large toothless grin and declaring that he had a nice day.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote