Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 15:32   #1

Croatia Bareboating question

So, quite a few questions about bareboating in Croatia next spring possibly?

Background exp: several bareboat charters to BVI, and one to Windwards, all on monohulls.

ASA certs are in order for bareboating

Companies I've used: TMM, Sunsail, Moorings

No experience with Med Mooring, and very week 'docking' skills ie: operating a sailboat under power in close spaces... (i'm VERY used to the handling of powerboats)

Now my questions I'm hoping the Cruisers Forums folks can help me out with:

1) Who to use... I'm not a fan of Moorings due to high costs and impersonal service i've recieved. Looking for a monohull (36' or so). I've seen a bunch from google but lookign for recommendations from people who've USED the companies.

2) I'm coming from upstate NY.... I can fly out of Syracuse, Boston, Montreal, Kingston Ontario.... I've done a lil research, and it looks like cheapest way to fly is to fly out of Montreal to Munich and then buy a sep flight to Split. (via redtag.ca ) any other suggestions pf ways/routes to get there?

3)Where to charter in Croatia? My wife and I are foodies for sure, so... protected anchorages that might be off the beaten path a bit? We're def not into the touristy nightlife hotspots, we'd rather hit a pub where we are the only people in the building not from 'up the road'.

4)When to go....? Sounds like June/July/August are best.... but... also the most crowded... most blogs/etc recommend June as cheaper and less crowded than July/August.... anything different?

5)We'd be going sooner, but schedule is full... active US Army here, and with training and multiple deployments.... well... next spring is gonna have to be it. Anyone else going to Croatia around this period?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
danedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 20:30   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
From my experience

Ecker yachting are quite good

As to times definitely avoid August

But the whole summer is busy so finding that local place will not be easy. However the food in Croatia is good though not a par with Italy or France

It's an expensive place

Be on the marinas early definitely before 4 pm in busy places

Dave
Old 04-06-2012, 11:26   #3

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Croatia Bareboating question

Split is the easiest to get to (no where in Croatia is easy by plane). From split you can run south or north, both have advantages and disadvantages but the cruising is very good either way. Also the cruising there is really, and I mean really easy. Almost like BVI but with a lot more islands.

Aug is really crowded so think about perhaps early July. Still busy but better.

Med mooring is much easier than it appears. The marinas are so crowded that the space you will go into is so small between the two boats you are going between that once you get the stern started in you will be force guide by the fenders on you boat and your two neighbors. Also in the marinas you do not drop anchor, there are moorings you pick up. Basically you get the boat stern into the quay, toss lines to attendant who will have also lifted the mooring line. You grab that with a boat hook and walk it to your bow. That line will then bring you the really mooring line which you tension to put your stern as close to the quay as you need.

When you med moor at the islands you simply drop your anchor and back toward the shore. When you get to about 30 meters for shore you take a line with your dingy to tie to the rocks or trees. Very easy and on the islands there is usually good room to do this.

Myself and another boat made a "star rating" for many of the anchorages, if you want a copy just send me a message
jmpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:34   #4

Thanks for the quick replies, and jmpilot, wow, very thorough guide you've given me, thanks! Now i just need a chart and a map to start figuring out where all these places are so i can start working an itinerary!

I think we'll probably try to go over in early june? seems like it'd be warm enough and least crowded.

Thanks again!

anyone else? feel free to chime in!
Old 07-06-2012, 16:29   #5

Boat: Comet 41s

There are some importers and even boat builders that charter directly boats on Croatia. Some of the boats are almost new. I have tried with the guys from Dufour and they are just great. Tried also with the guys from Salona: Great boats and a good professional service. I now that the guys from Benetau run a similar operation.

Regarding the best place, well you need several cruising years to know Croatia that is a great sailing place, beautiful and with 2000 Islands that will provide you with good shelter. The Bora can be a problem but you have just to get out of the way
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 16:43   #6

My only experiance chartering in Croatia is with Sunsail and I have been very happy with the standard of their boats and associated equipment, which is why we keep using them. They have a base at Kremik, near Split, which is a great place to start since it basically puts you in the middle of the islands. One improvement made on our last charter (two weeks ago) was that the chart pack was bound all together with a spiral wire. They did have two seperate planning charts, but the chart pack was great. Heavy enough you didn't worry about blowing overboard.
As jmpilot says most places in Croatia have installed lazy lines (lines from the pier that run out to either anchor chain or big blocks of concrete, which act as your anchor line. Just back in, have one crewmember pick up the line with the bowhook, toss your stern lines to the nice gentleman ashore and bounce out a few feet. If necessary go forward to help, then use stern motor to make sure the line is tight, while tieing off the stern lines.
We just did a one week charter in July. It was definitly busier than later June, which is when we had gone before. One note: Croatia requires the skipper to have an ICC (International Certificate of Compentence). I had done my quals through the British system and was able to send in my Day Skipper qual and the RYA issued me an ICC for a nominal fee.
ECMO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 16:50   #7
Nearly an old salt

The best way to handle lazy lines is to forget about them, until your ready. Back in, usually you'll be held in place by the other boats. Try up the stern lines , motor slowly ahead to keep them taught. Then pick up the lazy line at your leisure , use the man to haul in as tight as you can and then adjust the stern line as required.

If you need a good tension , cause there's a blow coming or a slop, loosen the stern lines a good way, haul in on the lazy line and use the motor to back down to tension it.

Where I see people getting not a mess is trying to handle stern and lazy at virtually the same time.

nOTE Croatia does not need an ICC it accepts a whole host of certificates including US ones etc. it published a list of acceptable ones.

Dave
Old 22-07-2012, 12:07   #8

great information here.... thanks everyone!

looking for boat owners/builders who might let us charter.

ASA quals are probably sufficient (i hope?) plus my experience in other places?
Old 22-07-2012, 12:31   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

First of all -- absolutely do it; Croatia is magical, unbelievable. My first piece of advice is to take enough time -- you will want two weeks on the boat, three if possible, and if possible another week in Trogir or Dubrovnik. You will be extremely sorry if you charter for only a week.

Second: Split is fine, if hard to get to. There are connections in summer on SleazyJet which might not show up in Travelocity, so research the cheap airlines from London or Berlin.

Don't worry about Med mooring -- the thing is, that in Croatia they give you lazy lines, so you don't have to mess with your anchor. So really, nothing to it.

If you can't handle a sailboat in close quarters then you will crash and burn no more in Croatia than anywhere else. Not really a consideration in choice of where to charter. Maybe you should have some lessons before you go.

When I was there some years ago, they were quite strict about demanding the ICC and a VHF license, and I did my ICC specifically for my Croatia charter trip. You should be very careful to check what bit of paper will be needed, and check far enough in advance that you won't have any unpleasant surprises.

And -- have a blast. It is an absolutely unbelievable place to sail.

P.S. there is in Kastela, near Split, a company which operates a fleet of the locally built cruiser/racer yachts called Salona -- I can't remember the name, Salona Yachting or something like that. They are great, and the Salona is a fantastic boat. We chartered a Salona 45 and they gave us a spinnaker and all the gear for it. It was also very comfortable with three nice cabins and two heads.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 14:08   #10
Nearly an old salt

To avoid confusion Croatia accepts most issued Certs including ASA ones ( there are distance offshore limits )

See http://www.mppi.hr/UserDocsImages/TA...%29%203_11.pdf

Dave

Tags
Croatia