Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2013, 11:01   #1

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Crew positions and the boat

I find it very interesting whenever I read the section on Crew Positions. Although the intended vessel is always mentioned, I rarely, if ever, see the mechanical intergrity/condition of the vessel mentioned. Is this something that is just taken for granted or is the act of going more important than the means of getting there? We all are aware that maintenance on most boats is questionable at best. Isn't this a concern? How would someone new to sailing and looking for experience know the difference?
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 11:25   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Crew positions and the boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
(...) We all are aware that maintenance on most boats is questionable at best.(...)
?

On most boats?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 11:45   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
I find it very interesting whenever I read the section on Crew Positions. Although the intended vessel is always mentioned, I rarely, if ever, see the mechanical intergrity/condition of the vessel mentioned. Is this something that is just taken for granted or is the act of going more important than the means of getting there? We all are aware that maintenance on most boats is questionable at best. Isn't this a concern? How would someone new to sailing and looking for experience know the difference?
They wouldn't!

I think condition being suitable is presumed, in any event I don't see any great merit in giving details in the advert itself.....one for crew to flesh out for themselves by PM etc, with the final check being upon arrival. Personally I would say that unless "You" know how to tell difference between sh#t and shinola then better off sticking to a well regulated charter - if only for the online feedback from previous "crew".

Whilst on topic(?!), what makes me smile are those Ads who are after "crew" with a squillion sea miles and the qualifications to skipper up to the USS Enterprise .......kinda says to me that the boat actually needs a real Skipper - but owner just doesn't want to admit it, nor give up the nice hat ......to be fair, probably things do work out ok, but that probably because mostly things don't go badly wrong......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 12:01   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Ask tons of questions, ask the neighboring vessels, ask for previous crew contact.Treat it like an interview, inspect the vessels, look at the safety equipment yourself. But don't be too obvious about it, be respectful, and ask permission before exploring vessel .

Some questions:
What is make and model, year, and name? ( you can then goggle it to see if you can obtain more info)
What kind of shape is she in? ( they usually say good but you can still pick up hints)
Where will I sleep?
How are the meals set up?
How do you like to do the watches?
Where are we going?
What are the alternative destinations?
If you deviate from destination, will you provide travel to destination or home?
What kind of safety equipment do you have aboard?
How much water do you allow per day, per person?
Do you allow drinking while underway?

That just a quick list, you can find more if you search this forum and others.

When new it is best to crew on boats you are familiar with or know someone you trust who is familiar with. My first delivery was with my boss, second delivery I was refered by a friend who did varnish work on that boat.

My bad experiences where either from crew we picked up along the way that we did not vet properly or from nightmare captains I did not vet properly.

The boat usually isn't the issue, it is usually the captain. But scary boats usually mean scary captain- poorly maintained vessel, risky behavior, no sense of responsibility for the safety of crew aboard.

But as crew, you must hold up your end of the bargain. Vigilant watch keeping, do your chores on time and without complaint, NO risky behavior, follow captains orders, did I mention vigilant watch keeping? This is why you must vet the captain well, he/she is king offshore.

I've said this a million times, and I'll say it again for the inexperienced or in unfamiliar anchorages it is good to gravitate towards the family boat, they tend to have good maintenance, tend to be cautious with weather windows and approaches, and tend to have good safety equipment. Plus if you happen to be female, there is less chances of a frisky captain.

Hope that helps,
Erika
Old 15-03-2013, 12:03   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Crew positions and the boat

3 Hail Mary's as you buy the tickets...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 12:07   #6

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
?

On most boats?

b.

Barnakiel, Among "serious" cruisers, it would not be a fair statement. However, on your average boat in AnyMarina USA, I think this is true and very evident. Although, they always have a well functioning frig, AC and TV . . . so damn those pesky chainplates. Brie and Sauvignon Blanc, anyone?
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 12:19   #7

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM

It's all relative. Even a brand new boat will have issues. For me, maintenance is not merely important, it is paramount. I think most of the folks in this forum feel the same way and act accordingly. That responsible approach, I think it is fair to say, can be reasonably assumed to be reflected in the vessels soliciting for crew.
Old 15-03-2013, 12:21   #8

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

If it's good enough for the captain, it's good enough for the crew.

I guess the presumption is that the captain would not go out on an unsafe vessel - not necessarily a wise presumption, though!
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 23:38   #9

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Is it a toilet paper bagging or flushing boat?

And then, you never seem to hear the captains holding forth to prospective crew on what sort of anchor they have on board....
Old 16-03-2013, 02:26   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

"MEN WANTED: FOR HAZARDOUS JOURNEY. SMALL WAGES, BITTER COLD, LONG MONTHS OF COMPLETE DARKNESS, CONSTANT DANGER, SAFE RETURN DOUBTFUL. HONOUR AND RECOGNITION IN CASE OF SUCCESS. SIR ERNEST SHACKLETON"

check below to see who would answer an advert like that!

NOVA Online | Shackleton's Voyage of Endurance | Meet the Team | PBS
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew