Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2015, 13:23   #16
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Craigs list scams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Scam, absolutely.

Canibul, your best option is a trusted friend or associate in Colorado who can manage the sale. Remote selling can be a massive pain for everyone.
Yeah, I'm finding that out. I also want to buy a used Porta Bote and have it shipped to a freight company in Florida to bring it here, and it's been nigh impossible. Looks like I'll have to fly up, rent a car, buy a boat, and ship it to myself. Makes it expensive. To the point where it almost just makes sense to buy a new one and have the factory ship it to me.

We have had mixed results buying boats in the US and having them shipped here. Hobie, and Andros worked out very well. Rivolta boats in Sarasota, not so well. Dishonest people.
Old 07-12-2015, 13:49   #17

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Interesting. I have a bunch of stuff to sell, which is difficult for me as I live in a foreign country ( from the US. Of course if I was from here, the US would be the foreign country, duh) and the stuff is in storage in Colorado. Six man life raft, SSB system, couple marine toilets, etc. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to do it.
I've used ebay in the past for more esoteric items, then have the buyer pay with pay pal, sure there's fees involved but it's a much more secure way to deal with it. Better than losing the whole enchilada.
What model SSB? I'm looking to upgrade mine.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 14:02   #18

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
...The only other payment option I will consider sometimes is Paypal, because I'm pretty sure the buyer can't arbitrarily claw back the payment without a long dispute process...
Very risky if you accept PayPal payment and have no proof the item was picked up. PayPal usually goes by the shipping records to ensure both parties get what's coming.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 14:03   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"tell 'em to go cash it and come back with real money. "
Sorry, that's no good either. As the Secret Service will tell you, cash is easily forged and good forgeries impossible for the average civilian to spot.
Now, if they were paying for in fives and tens, those are more likely to be real, because there's too much overhead in counterfeiting them. Hundreds? Uhuh.
Best thing is to meet AT the bank or other public place, let them get the cash directly FROM THE BANK (or ATM) so you know it is probably real.

The scams on CL and even eBay and Amazon (shh!) really have gotten quite clever. It wouldn't be unreasonable to ask to see a government ID, or snap a picture of a license plate as well.

A number of CL seller's have taken their 100 dollar bills to the bank, only to be told "We're keeping this one(s), the Secret Service will be contacting you." And if you've got no way to find the guy who paid you? You're shafted.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 15:21   #20
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: C&C 33 MKII

I own a rental house and seen this scam before. What they do is send a check for 1900. Stating they paid too much by accident, after you deposit the check please send them the 1000 minus expenses back. The cashiers check is not with a US bank, 1st sign. Then when you deposit the check to see if it clears, the bank will credit your account and you think everything is ok, but it takes 2 weeks to clear a non US cashiers check. So your out the 1000 plus the bank fee 2 weeks later.

I never fell for it, you have to be overly suspicious of offers too good to be true.

My advise is to forward the email to the FBI. I believe they have a link for these scams. Also I will bet that the email is not a US made account most likely from Africa where these scams originate from..

The best advise on here made by other posters which works is cash on delivery in person. Good luck
Hamish_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 16:01   #21

Boat: Seafarer36c

Ask anybody who knows yard sales, $100 bills are very suspect. If I was taking in a bunch of hundreds, I would get one of those markers cashiers use.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 16:13   #22

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

They might be serious buyers. I drove to St Louis to but a porta bote from Michigan. Make nice little vacations out of it and we like rode trip. Went to Texas and back in a weekend to help a buddy with a motorcycle trade. So don't ignore the long distance guy but I'm cash only.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 16:15   #23

Boat: Hunter Helsen 470

Anyone responding with the word "item" is suspect. Do not deal with them. Never bring them to your home unless absolutely necessary. Meet in a known safe zone, most Police departments can tell you good places. (lots of Camera coverage) I use the Police station parking lot. Use PayPal or cash only. Your Spam folder is going to get full once CL spammers have verified your email. I always used an Alias e-mail and then deleted it when items were sold. Good Luck
Wench'sCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 16:22   #24

Boat: Mariner 36

I met an old timer 5 years ago responding to my CL ad for a power boat I was selling. He walked in wearing overalls, a dirty sweat stained t-shirt, unshaven and I swear he had a hole in his shoe.

He got on board the boat and sat on the back bench while I opened everything up, turned everything on and generally showed the boat. He never moved from his seat.

"Nice boat"
"I'll take it." He said.

He then told me he had a doctor's appointment and would be back in 2 hours. I thought "yeah right, I'll never see this guy again."

So he shows up 2 hours later on the dot. He's got a check in his hand.
I said "Mr. Rockefeller, no offense but I'm not comfortable giving you my boat for a piece of paper."

So he walks out and drives up to the door with his car and says "get in".

We drove to his bank.
He instructed the teller to give me $35,000 in cash, which she did.

Just so I stay on topic, I never reply to those ridiculous emails either.

However, I no longer judge a book by it's cover.

:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mariner36bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 16:22   #25

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Interesting. I have a bunch of stuff to sell, which is difficult for me as I live in a foreign country ( from the US. Of course if I was from here, the US would be the foreign country, duh) and the stuff is in storage in Colorado. Six man life raft, SSB system, couple marine toilets, etc. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to do it.
I am m in Westminster Colorado. I'm willing to help if you like. We will be here until about August 2016. Let me know if there is anything I can do. Maybe you have something I need, we can work a trade, my "labour" for your whatever.... : )
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 16:24   #26

Boat: Mariner 36

^ and that's the way lifelong friends are made. Good on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mariner36bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:24   #27

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wench'sCaptain View Post
Anyone responding with the word "item" is suspect. Do not deal with them. Never bring them to your home unless absolutely necessary. Meet in a known safe zone, most Police departments can tell you good places. (lots of Camera coverage) I use the Police station parking lot. Use PayPal or cash only. Your Spam folder is going to get full once CL spammers have verified your email. I always used an Alias e-mail and then deleted it when items were sold. Good Luck
Great suggestion, had a couple guys come to my home to look at a motorcycle I was selling, they made a ridiculous offer then left. I was suspicious so I put my German Shepard in the garage overnight, he had a habit of chowing intruders before barking. At 2am I heard a lot of noise, screaming and feet beating, got up in time to see the dog running after their car. There were blood trails down the driveway. Now I never give my address, always somewhere else at a secure location.
Took me 3 hours to get the dog to return.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:35   #28
One of Those

Can I rent your dog?

By the way, we went to the local ATM here in the TCI Saturday to get some cash, and the new $100 dollar bills look to be pretty danged difficult to counterfeit. They have a hologram strip right down the face side. Really eye catching in the tropical sunlight:

Check these out
Old 08-12-2015, 08:40   #29
One of Those

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
I am m in Westminster Colorado. I'm willing to help if you like. We will be here until about August 2016. Let me know if there is anything I can do. Maybe you have something I need, we can work a trade, my "labour" for your whatever.... : )
Wow, that's close. We'll be spending holiday wih Stepson and New Perfect GrandChild #1 in Broomfield, and our storage unit is the Guardian there on Wadsworth in Westminster.
Old 08-12-2015, 16:58   #30

Boat: Gemini 3200

The scams are getting to be very clever. It's cash only nowadays and even then you need to check it by holding it up to the light to see the security thread and run your finger across the ridges in certain parts of bills. Good counterfeiters can do the security thread but the ridges are too expensive to recreate in large numbers.
rassabossa is offline   Reply With Quote