Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-12-2015, 08:22   #31

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Re: Craigs list scams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Can I rent your dog?

By the way, we went to the local ATM here in the TCI Saturday to get some cash, and the new $100 dollar bills look to be pretty danged difficult to counterfeit. They have a hologram strip right down the face side. Really eye catching in the tropical sunlight:

Check these out
Unfortunately that was 25 years ago, that pooch went to doggy heaven a long time ago. Great dog and very protective of family, wonderful with and very protective of small kids. Now I have to use common sense to avoid getting ripped off, I've bought and sold a lot of stuff over the years so I've learned a lot about scumbags.
The next dog was even better, smartest dog I ever had, also the best boat dog I ever had, he died 3 years ago, I still miss him.
Funny you mention the new paper for American paper money. The company I worked for some time ago made equipment for the company that makes the currency paper, I believe they still make 90% of the paper used to produce American currency, they have unreal security and go to great lengths to develop hard to copy anti-counterfeit measures to stay ahead of the crooks. There's a lot more buried in those $100.00 bills than meets the eye, which still makes them hard to copy, unfortunately you need the special readers to see some of the features used to defeat counterfeiters, some of the preventative measures aren't readily seen by the naked eye, but enough are.
By the way, don't assume the notes you get from the bank are solid, some banks will just pass on bad bills if they get stuck with them, it's a not so well kept secret. They don't get reimbursed for taking counterfeits out of circulation and will sometimes just pass them on. Most are good about pulling them out, but not all, same goes for retailers.
Saw a lot of really bad fakes passed around in Mexico when I was working there.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:35   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Craigslist on Avoiding Scams

Deal locally, face-to-face —follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.

Do not extend payment to anyone you have not met in person.
Beware offers involving shipping - deal with locals you can meet in person.
Never wire funds (e.g. Western Union) - anyone who asks you to is a scammer.
Don't accept cashier/certified checks or money orders - banks cash fakes, then hold you responsible.
Transactions are between users only, no third party provides a "guarantee".
Never give out financial info (bank account, social security, paypal account, etc).
Do not rent or purchase sight-unseen—that amazing "deal" may not exist.
Refuse background/credit checks until you have met landlord/employer in person.

More ➥ craigslist | about > scams

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 14:14   #33

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35'

I just bought a brand new in the box Garmin 7612. I bought it locally on Craigslist- paid $2500 cash. Anywhere else it went for 3500 + tax. The first question I asked is why they were selling it and they responded that it was for a deceased relative, so I asked for their receipt, and she responded that if they had that, then they would have taken it back and got their $$ back. Very reasonable. I met them and got a license plate number, as I paid cash.

It is truly NIB but I have not registered it with Garmin yet.

Then this week there was a brand new, in the box Honda eu2000i ($600). Having an alert set up I contacted them within 15 minutes of posting and they said they won it in a raffle. Seems reasonable... They got my home phone, but never called back.

After this episode I checked counterfeit goods and it seems neither items are popular to counterfeit, but if I am to continue with purchasing things like this I would be on the guard for counterfeit items. One thing I did learn was one of these was probably bought with a stolen credit card..... and sold on Craigslist.
Old 19-12-2015, 14:34   #34
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
Unfortunately that was 25 years ago, that pooch went to doggy heaven a long time ago. Great dog and very protective of family, wonderful with and very protective of small kids. Now I have to use common sense to avoid getting ripped off, I've bought and sold a lot of stuff over the years so I've learned a lot about scumbags.
The next dog was even better, smartest dog I ever had, also the best boat dog I ever had, he died 3 years ago, I still miss him.
Funny you mention the new paper for American paper money. The company I worked for some time ago made equipment for the company that makes the currency paper, I believe they still make 90% of the paper used to produce American currency, they have unreal security and go to great lengths to develop hard to copy anti-counterfeit measures to stay ahead of the crooks. There's a lot more buried in those $100.00 bills than meets the eye, which still makes them hard to copy, unfortunately you need the special readers to see some of the features used to defeat counterfeiters, some of the preventative measures aren't readily seen by the naked eye, but enough are.
By the way, don't assume the notes you get from the bank are solid, some banks will just pass on bad bills if they get stuck with them, it's a not so well kept secret. They don't get reimbursed for taking counterfeits out of circulation and will sometimes just pass them on. Most are good about pulling them out, but not all, same goes for retailers.
Saw a lot of really bad fakes passed around in Mexico when I was working there.

I met a couple of guys in Brazil a few years back who told me they bought counterfeit US bills from people at some ridiculous low rate and deposited them in various bank accounts over time. They said as long as they didn't go crazy on one single deposit it went very smoothly. I got the impression they made weekly deposits in a number of accounts, like a paycheck, and monthly deposits in others. The banks credited their accounts, and there were no repercussions. They told me that the US Government was bound by treaty to accept all reasonably professional counterfeit bills from foreign banks. Reasoning being that the small town local bank in a foreign country could not be expected to recognize counterfeits in other currencies. These guys made out pretty good.

This was some years back, though. I think things are harder to copy now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: