Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2011, 04:29   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Re: Courtesy Vs. The rules of the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
Jiffy, why would anyone contact the US Coast Guard for anything in that goes on in the Baltic Sea?
Old 23-04-2011, 09:36   #17

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Re: Courtesy Vs. The Rules of the Road

I guess I'm missing something in this conversation from the original post, as I thought the poster was fretting over whether he should have said something to someone about where this dive boat was anchored. That this dive boat was in a dangerous area, that was going to create possible harm to someone. I guess I'll need to read this thread over again.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 09:56   #18

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
I guess I'm missing something in this conversation from the original post, as I thought the poster was fretting over whether he should have said something to someone about where this dive boat was anchored. That this dive boat was in a dangerous area, that was going to create possible harm to someone. I guess I'll need to read this thread over again.
The OP provided a LAT/LON for the location. Plot that, then get back to us.
Old 23-04-2011, 10:17   #19

While "parking" in the middle of a freeway might not be the smartest thing in the world; from the perspective of everyone else, it's just yet another of the myriad of hazzards which must be navigated. This dive boat was engaged in potentially dangerous behaviour, but catastrophe could only occur if another vessel was ALSO engaged in potentially dangerous behaviour (ie, not keeping a proper watch so as to be able to take evasive manuevers should a hazard present itself). In this instance, the dive boat properly contacted the tanker to make him aware of it's position and anchored status. The tanker properly adjusted course to avoid the declared hazzard & graciously let everyone else in the area know of it's intentions. Sounds to me like everyone did precisely what they should have done in that particular scenario. Unless specifically disallowed, anyone can navigate where they please. Absent a traffic control mechanism to the contrary, no one has exclusive "right" to any area. EVERYONE is responsible for identifying, AND avoiding potential hazzards. It would seem that all involved in the above scenario met their responsibilities.

About the only thing I could see coming from contacting anyone is a chastising. I don't think any education would occur. The dive boat had someone at the helm properly keeping watch and it would seem they knew where they were. Doesn't seem they were in violation of any rule. So other than chastising, I don't really see what would be expected to come of making some sort of contact other than perhaps to have an announcement made that a potential hazzard exists? Can't imagine anything would become of it?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 14:20   #20

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines

Let me reiterate my concern in simpler terms:

My view is that, unless you have serious problems that force you to do so, anchoring a small boat in the dead center of not one, but TWO of the worlds busiest and clearly charted commercial shipping lanes is reckless and dangerous.

To do so and have “Sport” divers over the side is even more reckless and dangerous because of the time constraints involved in bringing the divers back up thus denying the skipper any possibility of taking any form of evasive action in the event that he needed to do so.

In this instance, the tanker driver was able to change course but often, because of other “Heavy” traffic in this area, it's not an easy option.

About two months ago, a fishing boat was run down by a tanker in roughly the same area, the two on board survived but I doubt they will drop anchor there again.

I'm not a “Spoil Sport”, I don't advocate a “Police State”, but I strongly believe that when someone does something so patently stupid, there ought to be a way of giving them strong advice.

And I'm wondering how to deliver that advice (Without involving lawyers of course).
Old 23-04-2011, 14:30   #21
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Looks like you missed your opportunity. Other than just telling them over the radio that you felt they were anchored in a less than optimal area and that they shouldn't be there, there seems to be little you can do now. You asked what others of us would have done and the answer seems to mostly be *nothing*

And given that my entire on the water experience has been in two hellaciously busy commercial areas (Pacific entrance to the Panama canal, and the San Francisco bay between Angel Island and Alameda) I really don't see that it was all that terrible a situation. So long as you are not in marked channels... it's open water and open season.

That's why keeping watch is so important, for everyone.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 14:31   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Courtesy Vs. The Rules of the Road

Seeing as you feel so strongly about it... call the RNLI and tell them... they're the ones to have a quiet word with the 'dive boat' as they'd be at the sharp end of any incident...
Me... I'd not bother... none of my business and proper proceedures ensured all went well...
But it'll obviously get a load off your chest...
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 15:11   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Looks like you missed your opportunity.
You are right of course but at the time, I was occupied navigating across the two shipping lanes, tacking in light air to stay well clear of both the tanker which was changing course, and, a container ship coming up from the South which was also forced to change course, and I confess to being focused on what was around me rather than the boat at anchor.

It was only later that allowed myself to get annoyed.

The things you see when you don't have your gun with you...
Old 23-04-2011, 15:18   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Baines View Post
The things you see when you don't have your gun with you...
Oley Crapolla.... now you've gorn an dun it.....
Hummingways gonna be on this thread like flies on 'Crapolla'.... another 'Monitored Thread'.... whadya have to go n say that for... especially being a 'Brit' who aint allowed to carry...
Old 23-04-2011, 15:23   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I get that... being a city dweller, folks who park badly make me crazy... but again, it's just not something you can easily respond to in a constructive way. And my husband ASSURES me that letting the air from the tires of delinquent parkers is not constructive...

Old 23-04-2011, 15:30   #26

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
I get that... being a city dweller, folks who park badly make me crazy... but again, it's just not something you can easily respond to in a constructive way. And my husband ASSURES me that letting the air from the tires of delinquent parkers is not constructive...
Neither is jamming a potato into their exhaust pipe but it sure is fun watching them scratch their heads.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 15:32   #27

Re: Courtesy Vs. The rules of the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Someone will know who this is...how many cats are also dive boats in the North Sea? A quiet word to the skipper could do wonders.
Actually, I have checked and found that there are rather more than you might suspect; There is a handful of registered, insured, properly run charter / training dive boats in this general area, most are the "Blythe" sort of build, and there are perhaps as many as another ten of the "Friends Only-Pay For Fuel" sort of boats that take day diver's out on the cheap.

The boat in this instance was Not one of the registered dive boats and I have no idea where she is based so a word with the driver is not possible.
Old 23-04-2011, 15:40   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Oley Crapolla.... now you've gorn an dun it.....
Hummingways gonna be on this thread like flies on 'Crapolla'.... another 'Monitored Thread'.... whadya have to go n say that for... especially being a 'Brit' who aint allowed to carry...
With respect, I am Canadian, I just happen to be based in the UK right now and having spent about half of my life in the good old USA, including a few years in Texas, I am not unfamiliar with those sort of things that go "Pop" when you press that lever sort of thing that lines up with your forefinger.

The things you see when you don't have one of those things that go "Pop" when you press that lever sort of thing that lines up with your forefinger.

But that day, one was not to hand...
Old 23-04-2011, 15:45   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Baines View Post
With respect, I am Canadian, I just happen to be based in the UK right now and having spent about half of my life in the good old USA, including a few years in Texas, I am not unfamiliar with those sort of things that go "Pop" when you press that lever sort of thing that lines up with your forefinger.

The things you see when you don't have one of those things that go "Pop" when you press that lever sort of thing that lines up with your forefinger.

But that day, one was not to hand...
Definitely not allowed to carry.... Thank Gawd....
Bludi immigrants...
Old 23-04-2011, 15:55   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

my grandfather used to yearn for something that went pop on a 50 caliber scale, mounted on top of the bow deck of the cruiser... to line up with all the skidoos that would swarm our wake... oh how he used to yearn.... Water hazards, like road hazards, and poor judgment are just part of the scenery...