I have posted on this forum once before about the paper that I am writing for my university's English
class. The paper is an ethnography (the study of people within their own culture) and I have chosen to study "modern explorers," along with some of the different subcultures that go along with it. I need a few interviews for a portion of the paper and I had some very good sources lined up (captains of boats currently sailing the Indian Ocean/coast of Africa) and I have not been able to get in touch with them because of the lack of internet
where they are. So with a deadline looming for a section of the project
, I'd rather not gamble on them answering in the next week. Meaning, I still need some interviews...
Would some of you like to help? Below are some of the simple questions that I have written to get the information about the ocean sailors culture that I need. Please only answer them if you have a fair amount of offshore
experience, that's the culture that I'm aiming at studying. Thank you in advance. Please feel free to copy/paste into an email
and shoot it to me at jm08364(AT)georgiasouthern.edu
Mind you that these were written for the captains/crew of the boats currently sailing the eastern coast of Africa
Your participation is greatly appreciated,
Jack Magruder, Georgia
1. What is your name? How old are you?
2. How long have you been sailing?
3. What type of experience do you have? How many nautical miles have you sailed?
4. Where/when did your journey start and where/when do you plan to end it?
5. Where are you right now? How many different countries have you now visited?
6. What made you want to move to the cruising life style?
7. Was it difficult to make the jump? Why?
8. After meeting other cruisers, what would you say are a few characteristics/traits that would represent the group as a whole?
9. What is one of your fondest memories while on board?
10. Name one bad thing that happened while on board that really had you scared.
11. What things have you learned from your journey? (lessons, new ideas, world perspective, etc.)
12. In just a few brief sentences, how would you describe the ocean cruising culture? The sailors that make up the culture, the gear, the experiences, anything like that.
13. What difficulties have you guys had along the way? (Bureaucratic, technical, etc.)
Be sure to share with the crew and your participation with this is greatly appreciated.
14. Could you post one of your favorite pictures from the journey that really symbolizes the culture of ocean cruising sailors.
15. What is one of your favorite quotes?
Please feel free to share this with your crew, I’d love to get as many answers as I can and thank you for taking the time to do this.