Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2017, 08:48   #31

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky
Re: Could anyone on a boat test this and tell me if this works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
It will work best in the winter.
But then I am inside....With a refrigerator.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:01   #32

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandosmooth View Post
I read many books on sailing stories and one of the most common occurences I encounter is the wish of sailors to drink a cold drink while far away. The problems with refrigeration or simply because boats didnt have those at the time of the book was written.

So, you want a cold drink, right? I remember going snorkelling and wondering about those neoprene clothes and why people wore them. Then I dived deep enough, the water there is so cold.

If you want a cold drink while sailing, why not drop the drink to the ocean floor? Then pull it up again? It would come up cold, right?

I can see an issue with pressurized beer, it could blow up because of the pressure but on a suitable metal or plastic container big enough to handle pressure differences. It would work, I think?

Is this normal? Do sailors already do this or is there something I am missing that it would not work? Thanks

If you are going to test this, please **Dont** use containers that could shatter and break. If this thread is not suitable to this forum, let me know.
The illogic behind this is formidable but just because I'm putting off taking care of some dusty, dirty, upside down drip in your hair fiberglass work here goes. First of all if you throw a soda can into the ocean on a string while sailing all you will do is tow the can behind the boat. If it's literally on a "string" it will break and bye bye soda. So let's say you put it in a net bag, attach it to a suitable light line, put at least 20 pounds of weight in the bag and toss it over the side. And let's also assume it's on a hundred foot line so that it will tow underwater somewhere around 30' depending on your speed. (WAG here but a 3:1 ratio seems reasonable). If you're in the Caribbean the water temp at that depth is somewhere around 80 degrees. Anybody want a cool 80 degree drink? Plus you've bounce it around so much it will probably spray you with foam the second you open it. Just gotta wonder how ruminations like this occur.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:10   #33

If you try it, put a big hook on the beer can. You may be able to catch a lot of tourist snorkelers or jet skiers this way. They are pretty good BBQ'd if you brine them overnight.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:10   #34

One might try a different experiment. When CO2 and water mix, heat is given off. Conversely when CO2 escapes from water, like bubbles from a carbonated beverage or beer, there is cooling.

So what you want to do is pour your beer into a flexible bottle and shake it up so the CO2 separates from the beer. That will cool it some. Then lower the bottle into the water. The temperature drop and pressure will cause the CO2 to dissolve into the beer again giving off heat. Allow the beer to equilibrate to the water temp. Then raise it up quickly for a cold one.
Locquatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:39   #35

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locquatious View Post
One might try a different experiment. When CO2 and water mix, heat is given off. Conversely when CO2 escapes from water, like bubbles from a carbonated beverage or beer, there is cooling.

So what you want to do is pour your beer into a flexible bottle and shake it up so the CO2 separates from the beer. That will cool it some. Then lower the bottle into the water. The temperature drop and pressure will cause the CO2 to dissolve into the beer again giving off heat. Allow the beer to equilibrate to the water temp. Then raise it up quickly for a cold one.
I think that you will just end up with warm, FLAT beer.
Yechhhh.
Have you actually tried this?
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:19   #36
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

air temp 36f, water temp 55f. where would you store the damned beer no one gonna drink.
water temp 90f, air temp 85f. whereye gonna store that dogforsakenbeerdammit hahahahahahahahaha i still donot drink beer. or soda. or junk drinks.
hydration and electrolites are best and least traumatically absorbed tepid. my favorite flavor.
if in atrial dysrythmia, serve very cold., vagus nerve stimulation fix for atrium freakout. never fails in acute atrial dysrythmias. is common in cases of heat prostration among tourists and the unprepared. aka why the low sodium diet is a fail and liquid electrolite drinks are a staple in tropical zones.
unfortunately you will not achieve that cold temp without being in arctic, antarctic, anywhere the water below your boat is 30s f temp or you use a fridge.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:33   #37

In my youth, I cooled down plenty of beer by dropping down just 50 feet into lake Havasu (or, as we called it then, Lake Have-a-brew). That water was cold, even when air temps were over 100. I have no idea what ocean temps are at depth, and I am sure it depends on location, but I bet it is cold enough to chill a beer in most of the Pacific.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 13:58   #38

Boat: 32 contessa

I think you are thinking about the thurmocline ?
I dont see why it wouldn`t work ,,,
worst that can happen is fish get the taste ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 7.54.54 am.png
Views:	105
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	157073  
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 15:07   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

why risk losing your beer over the side when you can just wrap the beer in a wet cloth,hang it in the breeze and evaporation will cool it by 10-15C in an hour or so?
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 15:13   #40

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Why would you want to cool down a perfectly good beer

What is your plan for the long piece of string out the back of the boat which goes all the way to the bottom of the ocean? and how long do you think this string needs to be?

Pete
This! Beer should be warm and bitter
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 15:19   #41

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
air temp 36f, water temp 55f. where would you store the damned beer no one gonna drink.
water temp 90f, air temp 85f. whereye gonna store that dogforsakenbeerdammit hahahahahahahahaha i still donot drink beer. or soda. or junk drinks.
hydration and electrolites are best and least traumatically absorbed tepid. my favorite flavor.
if in atrial dysrythmia, serve very cold., vagus nerve stimulation fix for atrium freakout. never fails in acute atrial dysrythmias. is common in cases of heat prostration among tourists and the unprepared. aka why the low sodium diet is a fail and liquid electrolite drinks are a staple in tropical zones.
unfortunately you will not achieve that cold temp without being in arctic, antarctic, anywhere the water below your boat is 30s f temp or you use a fridge.
You drink that beer you bad girlIts good for your kidneys, It improves your attitude. It makes your companions more pleasing in appearance
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 18:11   #42

Boat: Lazy-Boy, fold out

In the old days on the farm we would keep our butter, cream and milk down the well in a bucket. Not a freezer but it did chill
Comix Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 20:18   #43

Boat: Ericson sloop 27'

I remember being at summer camp in the San Juan Is. in NW WA state. A counselor had placed his coke cans at the bottom of a cliff in a lake bottom, 20 ft deep. I asked if I could have one if I dove off the cliff and was able to retrieve one. He said yes, if I could bring him one also. It was a very warm day and the coke was very refreshing. Fond memories😆.
pyroray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 20:29   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
20' does it in Lake Huron, 10' does it in Lake Superior.
Lake Superior in August = 6"
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 20:32   #45

Boat: Catalina 22

I used to backpack in the 70's and 80's. We would take our frozen rock hard steak and cooler cold eggs and pack them last thing at the trail head. At first camp they were sunk in the creek for Steak and Eggs for breakfast the first morning. Always a great treat since the rest of the trip was freeze dried food and salami. (until the bear raided our stash one trip) (never did figure out how he smelled to goodies underwater)
T_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat