Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2012, 05:16   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Costs of the Bumfuzzle's new ride!

What do you think? Money well spent or too much to bring it up to snuff.

Seems on the high side to me.

What Our Bluewater Boat Cost | Sail Feed
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 05:54   #2

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: Costs of the Bumfuzzle's new ride!

Thus far, they seem pretty happy with their boat, the cost of upgrades, etc. Since it is their money, who cares whether its too much or too little? I'm glad they published costs so that others can get an idea of what is available on the market and what it costs to get ready to cruise but as to whether they spent too little or too much I can't see why this is a topic for discussion. You can outfit a boat for 40 k or 4 million but so long as you are happy with the value you receive for your money outlayed nobody elses opinion matters.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 06:03   #3
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

doesn't seem too bad except the outboard and the RIB, and the canvas? The electronics I suppose they could have got cheaper.

EDIT The Raymarine autopilot $$$$ could be questioned.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 06:11   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Thus far, they seem pretty happy with their boat, the cost of upgrades, etc. Since it is their money, who cares whether its too much or too little? I'm glad they published costs so that others can get an idea of what is available on the market and what it costs to get ready to cruise but as to whether they spent too little or too much I can't see why this is a topic for discussion. You can outfit a boat for 40 k or 4 million but so long as you are happy with the value you receive for your money outlayed nobody elses opinion matters.
Wow, guess I stepped on someone's toes .... excuse me.

I thought it was interesting since we rarely know what people actually spend to get a boat ready and its often a subject of discussion. We often hear here that you need to set aside xx % of the purchase price for upgrades, etc. Here's someone willing to actually share the amount and the breakdown which I think is very helpful. Could they have spend more? Less? Of course and I'm sure some from the $500/month thread can tell us how to spend a lot less.

If we eliminated all the threads that deal with much is spend of things ( ..."for 40 k or 4 million"..) there's going to be a whole lot less CF. I'm sure they are happy with their decisions, most boater are, but that doesn't keep us from discussing the pros and cons.
Old 16-04-2012, 06:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
doesn't seem too bad except the outboard and the RIB, and the canvas? The electronics I suppose they could have got cheaper.

EDIT The Raymarine autopilot $$$$ could be questioned.
I was surprised at the canvas and dodger too since they were done in Mexico. Guess things may not be as cheap there as we've heard.
Old 16-04-2012, 06:23   #6

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch

Actually, the economy of Mexico is the strongest in growth in North America, so prices are rising, BUT, having that done here would easily have cost 3X as much, so it was still a bargain. As to the RIB, that is the price you pay here for the material that falls apart from the sun.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 06:24   #7

Location: December 2014 Back in Marmaris Turkey getting Dora Mac ready to put back on the market.
Boat: Diesel Duck 462 M/V Dora Mac

Good read Doodles, thanks for posting it.
Randal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 06:30   #8

There is a difference between discussing a refit budget and stating "seems too high" which sounded like a criticism of what they spent. Had you asked "how could they have done it for less" I wouldn't have said a word. The difference is in inferring that their decisions were wrong. They are happy the value they've received and that's all that matters.

Now if you want to discuss how they could have done it for less, what they would have given up by looking for deals (warranties, time, etc) then I'm all for it. I'm just not a fan of criticizing people when its not warranted.
Old 16-04-2012, 06:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
Actually, the economy of Mexico is the strongest in growth in North America, so prices are rising, BUT, having that done here would easily have cost 3X as much, so it was still a bargain. As to the RIB, that is the price you pay here for the material that falls apart from the sun.
$9K for a dodger? Maybe where you are but I paid a little less than $3K for one two years ago. That was by a well know canvas shop on the Chesapeake Bay, and the dodger included all the framing, plus stainless steel back and side grab bars and panel covers, basically the works.
Old 16-04-2012, 06:46   #10

Quote:
There is a difference between discussing a refit budget and stating "seems too high" which sounded like a criticism of what they spent. Had you asked "how could they have done it for less" I wouldn't have said a word. The difference is in inferring that their decisions were wrong. They are happy the value they've received and that's all that matters.

Now if you want to discuss how they could have done it for less, what they would have given up by looking for deals (warranties, time, etc) then I'm all for it. I'm just not a fan of criticizing people when its not warranted.
"Seems to high" was my opinion and its all in how you chose to take it. When you put something out there in the pubic media like they did you expect to get comments both pro and con. I think its fair game and as you may or may not know the Bumfuzzles are very controversial couple. Personally, I have always liked them and supported their approach to cruising so I'm not a Bumfuzzle basher if that's what's bothering you. But I see no problem saying I think they spent too much of this or that.
Old 16-04-2012, 07:08   #11

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Doodles,

They show
Dodger (welder and canvas) done in Mexico $2920.78 not $9000
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 07:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Doodles,

They show
Dodger (welder and canvas) done in Mexico $2920.78 not $9000
I know!

waterworldly suggested $3k was a deal and that it would cost 3x that, i.e. $9K here in the US. That's what I'm commenting on.
Old 16-04-2012, 07:15   #13

I got that it was your opinion and that you are entitled to offer it up. It is my opinion that being overly critical when it is isn't warranted is lame. Just like you, I offered an opinion it just happens to differ from yours.

Tone is very difficult to interpret on the internet. That is why I try to be careful when stating an opinion that may or may not be interpreted as being critical. Threads like this are the biggest reason I won't publish our refit costs. I would have to spend far too much time telling naysayers that maybe they could have spent less but our time has X value to us, accessibility of items has another value, etc.

I'll gladly publish cruising costs because that gives people a good indication of what it costs for a family of __ to cruise on a boat of __size in __. Refit costs are so incredibly variable- what equipment, what location, how much DIY etc that info alone would be a pain to gather and then to get criticized for what you spent, on what, what equipment you skipped,etc would give me a colossal headache that no martini could cure.

Anyway- carry on.
Old 16-04-2012, 07:20   #14

Quote:
I got that it was your opinion and that you are entitled to offer it up. It is my opinion that being overly critical when it is isn't warranted is lame. Just like you, I offered an opinion it just happens to differ from yours.

Tone is very difficult to interpret on the internet. That is why I try to be careful when stating an opinion that may or may not be interpreted as being critical. Threads like this are the biggest reason I won't publish our refit costs. I would have to spend far too much time telling naysayers that maybe they could have spent less but our time has X value to us, accessibility of items has another value, etc.

I'll gladly publish cruising costs because that gives people a good indication of what it costs for a family of __ to cruise on a boat of __size in __. Refit costs are so incredibly variable- what equipment, what location, how much DIY etc that info alone would be a pain to gather and then to get criticized for what you spent, on what, what equipment you skipped,etc would give me a colossal headache that no martini could cure.

Anyway- carry on.
As someone so wisely said once .... "What other people think of me is none of my business."

I think maybe you are worrying way to much about being critical or of being criticized.
Old 16-04-2012, 07:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
As someone so wisely said once .... "What other people think of me is none of my business."

I think maybe you are worrying way to much about being critical or of being criticized.
Na, I know what kind of person I am and am happy about it, as id anyone who knows me.