Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2015, 22:40   #1

Costs for extra person on sailboat

Hey everybody,
I'm a early 30's male possibly looking to take some time off from the real world for a few years and do some adventuring. I'm single currently, but don't know if I really want to single-hand.

My main question is if anybody has experience on the costs of an extra person (or people) after the first one on a sailboat? I would think that it would be fairly small just related to their direct living costs.

Basically, I don't have any friends that could afford a portion of total costs. If the direct costs per each extra person were small they might be able to cover that or I might consider covering for the companionship.

I'd assume the following extra costs:
Food/alcohol
Medical/Insurance
Extra water needed
Toiletries/clothes/etc.
Flight home (could be pretty expensive)

Anybody have any experience or thoughts on what I'm missing and also how much extra I could expect per person (after 1st).

I'd probably be looking to have a 30'-38' Mono or Cat under $125k and under $3k/month budget.

I appreciate any ideas. Thanks.
fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 01:23   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
Re: Costs for extra person on sailboat

You need to include visa costs as well travel. I would suggest that you should/could cover all boat costs, guests contributions to on board food and drink, each to pay on shore costs, as well as own travel, visas etc.

Any other basis and you will find you have many friends but no money!

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 01:47   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, fizban.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 02:42   #4

Boat: Currently boatless

If you have only one dinghy and the other person is welcome to use it whenever they want, you might consider gasoline as a potential "chip in" cost - not for them to split it with you but to offset it by a small amount. That way they can feel free to take it a mile away (without you) for a snorkel when you need some time to yourselves and you won't be counting the cost per liter.

Also, I would want it clear what my expectations are for them to chip in with boat maintenance and other chores in terms of labor. If you are working on the boat, they are working? Or if you are working, they are working some of the time? Or if you are working, they are drinking margaritas?
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:37   #5

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

I often cruise my 50 FT TWIN DIESEL power boat with friends. We share fuel, oil, food marina and liquor expenses. Fuel cost is estimated from 5 gal per hour combined consumption using engine hour meter. With four people it's about $30 per day, cheap vacation. We cruise in comfort. All shore expenses are separate.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1443983523154.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	110482  
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 13:40   #6

Boat: Pearson 367

My thoughts are they cover their own flight/visa costs, contribute $500 per month to the kitty, and help with any boat maintenance. From other threads I've read a $3k/month budget seems pretty generous. $2k per month is pretty average, $1k is frugal for a couple. It's all about how you want to live.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 13:58   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

Let them cover all travel, visa's, entry fee's, any and all shore expenses, alcohol, any specialty foods, and contribute something to the boat with either $$$ or labor. You cover fuel, water, and direct boat expenses and normal daily food stuff. And usually any one who wants to sail will find that very acceptable. If I do it, I would buy the captain dinner once in a while as well.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 14:04   #8

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

I regularly take crew on passages. I cover all boat expenses. They cover their air/ground expenses, share of provisioning, and any per-person immigration/customs fees. The cost to provision depends greatly on where we are, but varies from $15 to $40/person/day. Customs/immigration fees also vary by country.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat