Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 09:11   #1

Question Costa Rica > Nuku Hiva > Hawaii

Is it a bad time to head for Nuka Hiva from Costa Rica at this time of year Mid June. Thinking this is a better route to Hawaii then going straight to Hawaii, with the chance of big storms. Any input would be appreciated.Will have to look for the best time to get to Hawaii from Nuka Hiva, Next.
windsongabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:16   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsongabc View Post
Is it a bad time to head for Nuka Hiva from Costa Rica at this time of year Mid June. Thinking this is a better route to Hawaii then going straight to Hawaii, with the chance of big storms. Any input would be appreciated.Will have to look for the best time to get to Hawaii from Nuka Hiva, Next.
Yes! It is now hurricane/typhoon season in the northern hemisphere. I'll look for a recent inquiry along those same lines and refer you to the thread after I've located it.

TaoJones

PS: OK, I've found the other threads - and I see you're the same person who has asked the question now three different times. Can you further explain what it is you're trying to do, and why sailing across the Pacific during typhoon season seems worth the risk to you?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:26   #3

Boat: Dufour 35
As Costa Rica is at the Southern Edge of the Eastern Pacific Hurricane area and the season just has started, it is possible to leave for Nuku Hiva at this time, if there is a window in the tropical activity. Make sure to follow the present wx situation. From the latest forcast.
.48 HOUR FORECAST LOW PRES...POSSIBLE TROPICAL CYCLONE...NEAR
11N123W 1007 MB. WITHIN 120 NM OF CENTER WIND 20 TO 25 KT.
SEAS 9 FT.
The Latest Grib files also suggest some possible development in the vicinity of 6N 96W in about 3 days time.
Make sure you quickly get out of the Hurricane area by heading south to the vicinity of 5N.

However, this will be the easy part. Have a look at this link Climatology of Global Ocean Winds.
The lower left hand corner of this map is a rough way point on the route to Nuku Hiva. As you can see, you can expect quite a bit of southerly winds around 15-20 knots, though present grib files suggest winds in the 10 to 15 knots range, away from the possible tropical activity .
Are you, your yacht and your crew up to beating into that kind of wind for possibly a 1000 miles or more? That is the question you have to ask yourself.
Don't even think of going directly to Hawaii at this time of the year!!
Good Luck!
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 13:28   #4

Trying to get to Hawaii. Now is a good time for me, out of work. Would like to get there via Nuka Huva, since this is part way and safer course to Hawaii then heading staight across at this time of year. Thanks
windsongabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 13:48   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Looking at some of the Pacific hurricane track records, it appears you'd be pretty safe below 8 or 10 North Latitude. Cagney's point about the winds you'd find there is worth pondering. For the record, I've never sailed the Pacific, but I have spent a few year studying tropical Atlantic weather. We're "generally" immune from hurricanes below about 10 North here.

NHC Archive of Hurricane Seasons

Central Pacific Hurricane Center - Honolulu, Hawai`i

Tags
Costa Rica, Finland