Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-06-2016, 22:32   #1

Cost of mobile data overseas

I get my cell phone service from T-Mobile. While planning for a trip to the Bahamas, probably a year off, I decided to check their data and such costs.

I looked at some random website and they predicted a cost that might bankrupt you, for checking your e-mail, suggested that GSM was almost required, and had a lot of discussion about where you could get a Bahamas SIM.

Then I checked T-Mobile's site. All data is unlimited. Texts are unlimited. Calls, either within the Bahamas or back to the US, Canada or Mexico are 20 cents per minute. You have to be on one of their simple choice plans.

When I took a cruise ship to Mexico earlier this year, my phone worked. I got a robo-call when I got there that told me I could use my phone just like I was at home, and I had enough data to watch Netflix in Cozumel. I could call the usa or Mexico with or without dialing international prefixes and country codes, and no, I have no idea how they did that.

They have lots of countries with same or close rules and unlimited data and text.

Is this common? Is the day of huge overseas surcharges at an end? Or is this unique to T-Mobile?

Old 14-06-2016, 08:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Cost of mobile data overseas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasshopper View Post
-----
Then I checked T-Mobile's site. All data is unlimited. Texts are unlimited. Calls, either within the Bahamas or back to the US, Canada or Mexico are 20 cents per minute. You have to be on one of their simple choice plans.
-----
Is this common? Is the day of huge overseas surcharges at an end? Or is this unique to T-Mobile?
Another question is whether T-Mobile's site is totally accurate. Does Batelco add charges to your T-Mobile bill? What about incoming calls from the US to your phone in the Bahamas?

Old 14-06-2016, 08:42   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

T-Mobile has the following disclaimer regarding international usage on their website:

"Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network. Device must register on our U.S. network before international use. Service may be terminated or restricted for excessive roaming or misuse."

I don't know to what extent they enforce this, but would recommend doing your homework.
Old 14-06-2016, 09:02   #4

If you are with T-mobile, you should check Project Fi. Only 3 android google phones are supported but in addition to T-mobile, coverage includes Spring and since last week US Cellular in more than 120 countries. It has a much more user-friendly on-line plan management (to increase or decrease monthly data limit), there is no contract, and you can roll-over non-used data to the following month (which is not the case for T-mobile with their unlimited data plan), and you can add up to 9 data cards for additional phone/tablets for tethering. Plus, switch automatically from cell coverage to free wi-fi if available, for voice/data.

Tags
mob

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: