Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2014, 15:19   #46

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Cost of Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Its the same as dumping money into an old car, as you'll never get a return on sale but as a hobby, who cares..
So for us, the constant mainteance and up-grades are a hobby..
I feel the same way. Our boat is a 27 year old boat... we don't really think about the boat as anything other than our home. We live in her and we want to pamper her so she takes care of us when we need her to. We also want her to show her pride of ownership.

However, if our goal was to just sail to the caribbean and back (whatever) over a year or two year sabbatical, a more common vessel used in the charter trade would have been a much better deal and much more affordable.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 15:20   #47

Boat: a sailing boat

I think cruising budgets will start at something like USD 500 per sailor/boat/month and there does not seem to be a top limit.

I sometimes imagine that a very low budget can only be sailed with a small and simple boat and a sailor that enjoys the simple pleasures of life: anchorages, home brew, swimming, trekking, reading, writing, etc.

A big budget can be sailed in any boat, big or small, and by any sailor. It is easy.

Our (2014) 8 months' stunt to the West Indies and back (starting point Las Palmas) cost us some USD 4k in direct costs and we must also add some USD 4k in indirect costs (boat preparation). So we can say a humble crew of two can sail an ocean twice and live a 6 months' Caribbean dream for USD 1k a month. Boat 26'. I think the same could be done with less, but not with much less.

Compared to our 2003-2007 rtw trip, this time we spent some 20% more per month. I am not sure how this compares to global inflation rates over last 10 years.

Where we live (Canary Islands) a USD 1k per couple is below official poverty levels. Unofficially, we are very happy poor people.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 15:57   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
These threads are entertaining to read, but in the end they seem to have about as much validity as a thread discussing, "How much does it take to live on land?", "How much maintenance will I have to do on my house in the next five years?", "What does it cost operate a car for a year?", "What does it cost to go on vacation?" or "How much does a wedding for your daughter cost?".

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Carry on!
I was quite happy at all three of my sons weddings, the father-in-laws smiled,
but you could tell it was painful...

"The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree."
~Spike Milligan.
.............."Life's not fair, and people don't act right"~Me.........
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 16:19   #49

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I feel the same way. Our boat is a 27 year old boat... we don't really think about the boat as anything other than our home. We live in her and we want to pamper her so she takes care of us when we need her to. We also want her to show her pride of ownership.

However, if our goal was to just sail to the caribbean and back (whatever) over a year or two year sabbatical, a more common vessel used in the charter trade would have been a much better deal and much more affordable.
I don't blame you for wanting to pamper such a fine and beautiful vessel. Cabo Ricos are just lovely.

(We once owned the very first CR-38 ever built. It started life as a Tiburon 36 kit boat and was modified to the owner's specifications and became the prototype for the 38. It was finished out in the mountains in Costa Rica by a young couple named Ben and Helen Harrison. They have just released a book about it called "Cruising Down the Mountain." Just a little Cabo Rico trivia, if you're interested.)
Old 12-12-2014, 16:44   #50

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

I always find it interesting on here how people who have very little means seem to think a boat is not a recreational item. And then they complain when people who have means and have a nice boat actually take care of it and spend money to enjoy their cruise and vacation I'm sure if I really wanted to I could buy a $500 bug and live out of it at some Walmart parking lot but then I have the mean so why would I do that. So for those of you who actually don't have the means to live on a boat but are trying to do it good for you but I don't know why you bash the people that have the means to do it, oh and I like steak and lobster every night...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 17:55   #51

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
These threads are entertaining to read, but in the end they seem to have about as much validity as a thread discussing, "How much does it take to live on land?", "How much maintenance will I have to do on my house in the next five years?", "What does it cost operate a car for a year?", "What does it cost to go on vacation?" or "How much does a wedding for your daughter cost?".

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Carry on!
I'll bite, while it's still fresh in my CRS-addled brain (on the GOM too): What a decent used boat costs, ~$40K USD (well, a fair to middling decent boat). Of course, YMMV, like everything else.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 18:08   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
Someone said:
"Those numbers are ridiculous. It kinda looks like you folks just like to spend lots of money on your boats. "

I'll just comment on my numbers

$500 - replace 15-year old Halyards that had spent 4-years in the tropical sun and six-years in the San Diego sun
Again, who needs those white rags hoisted or controlled?

I get that replacing internal halyards can be a finicky job, but $500? That seems crazy high to me. Did you have to pull the mast?
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 18:44   #53

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Another "how much does it cost thread", but this one is different. ----
I don't think so.
Old 12-12-2014, 19:03   #54

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardinebreath View Post
I get that replacing internal halyards can be a finicky job, but $500? That seems crazy high to me. Did you have to pull the mast?
We are looking at paying considerably more than that per halyard. If you know where one can get 160ft of double braided 1/2" dyneema for less than $500, please do tell.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 19:14   #55

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I don't think so.
...that's only because it has degenerated to the usual.... 'lobster is good' v 'zen and the mung bean' debate
I think the original question - 'how much should we set aside to 'maintain' a 38 foot boat is quite valid and has elicited a number of good responses.
Old 12-12-2014, 19:24   #56

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
I was quite happy at all three of my sons weddings, the father-in-laws smiled,
but you could tell it was painful...

+2

(as daughter's dad I can relate to that, even footing just part of it )
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 19:39   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
We are looking at paying considerably more than that per halyard. If you know where one can get 160ft of double braided 1/2" dyneema for less than $500, please do tell.
Point taken. With the boats I'm used to, 1/2 inch dyneema would be overkill in the extreme.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 20:16   #58

Boat: Caliber 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardinebreath View Post
Three (3) 7/16" Halyards - each one 160' $1.95/foot (retail) at Defender

Main, Genoa, Spinnaker

And... NO we did not pull the mast - that cost was the material at a discount at a local rigging shop - I did all the work
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 21:04   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
Three (3) 7/16" Halyards - each one 160' $1.95/foot (retail) at Defender

Main, Genoa, Spinnaker

And... NO we did not pull the mast - that cost was the material at a discount at a local rigging shop - I did all the work
Hum...When buying a large amount of line, sometimes a spool is quite a bit cheaper. A 600' spool of 7/16" sta-set is 0.83 cents a foot,( cost +shipping), just now with a quick internet search. I purchased a spool of 1/2" LS 7 years ago when defender had their yearly sail and got the spool for about 53 cents a foot and did all my running rigging (but my boats smaller). I still have about 200' left which on my dinky boat is good for another main and jib halyard

Of course if you want separate line colors, thats going to cost lots. When I get around to changing out my standing rigging, I'll buy a spool of 1/4" SS. Luckily my boat came with sta-lock fittings on the standing bits.

This afternoon, after determining that my 42 year old RV Trav'ler stove's oven thremocouple had given up the ghost, I went to ebay and ordered a new RV stove for under $300 including shipping. Considering I've used that trav'ler stove pretty much every day for the last 7 years, its done well. and it was only 35 years old when I purchased the Rose.

Figure I can transfer the gambol and fiddle bits to the new stove. If I get 10 years out of it, I'm way ahead of the game. Of course it helped that the fellow that finished out the interior of my boat, 42 years ago, laid the stove area out around an RV stove.

OK, I could have spent $1200 on a new marine stove with stainless sides (well actually I couldn't), but that's the normal option. I've never been normal, alas... The trav'ler RV stove held up pretty well, so I said, lets try another RV stove and see what happens. Even with the stove purchase, I'm still below $750 for the year on maintenance. But its an old simple boat. It's a lovely old thing.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 23:16   #60

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Hum...When buying a large amount of line, sometimes a spool is quite a bit cheaper. A 600' spool of 7/16" sta-set is 0.83 cents a foot,( cost +shipping), just now with a quick internet search. I purchased a spool of 1/2" LS 7 years ago when defender had their yearly sail and got the spool for about 53 cents a foot and did all my running rigging (but my boats smaller). I still have about 200' left which on my dinky boat is good for another main and jib halyard

Of course if you want separate line colors, thats going to cost lots. When I get around to changing out my standing rigging, I'll buy a spool of 1/4" SS. Luckily my boat came with sta-lock fittings on the standing bits.

This afternoon, after determining that my 42 year old RV Trav'ler stove's oven thremocouple had given up the ghost, I went to ebay and ordered a new RV stove for under $300 including shipping. Considering I've used that trav'ler stove pretty much every day for the last 7 years, its done well. and it was only 35 years old when I purchased the Rose.

Figure I can transfer the gambol and fiddle bits to the new stove. If I get 10 years out of it, I'm way ahead of the game. Of course it helped that the fellow that finished out the interior of my boat, 42 years ago, laid the stove area out around an RV stove.

OK, I could have spent $1200 on a new marine stove with stainless sides (well actually I couldn't), but that's the normal option. I've never been normal, alas... The trav'ler RV stove held up pretty well, so I said, lets try another RV stove and see what happens. Even with the stove purchase, I'm still below $750 for the year on maintenance. But its an old simple boat. It's a lovely old thing.
Hi SC,

Our stove on I-1, was steel, with baked on enamel, and I'm pretty sure it was from an RV source, or made for that market, because it had 4 little rubber tipped feet on it. It was an Eno, from 1974, and it lasted over 20 yrs. It was simple and worked well. All good. I hope your new stove gives as good service!

Ann

Tags
cruising