Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2008, 08:52   #16

Refit...total refit?? Or just "standing" rigging?

I have been doing the work on my boat for 22 months, often helped by dedicated friends, finally I am sailing, but still not finished.

The time you think it is going to take you to do something then triple it, is mentioned. I did that. It was an understatement for me.

Money/costs?? Even with me doing the work, I am afraid to know,
AND I am not considering what I lose in income, because I am not at my "real job".

SAILS: I had a recent quote of about $13,000 for a set of 3 cruising sails, jib, main, gennaker.

Don't forget, within the $4,500 quote, there is inherent danger to being at the top of perhaps a 4 to 5 story mast.

Overall. the best advice I could give is "Get 3 estimates on work to be performed. Compare those estimates", (I usually pick the middle one) You'll usually find a big difference to choose from.

(I sure am spending a lot of money to save fuel costs.) I am having fun though!

Pogo
pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:33   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

jeep-
You need to decide what you want in the refit, and then ask for estimate on it. Any loft will be glad to give you prices on new sails, some even give you quotes online for production models. You'll often see options for three grades of Dacron "cruising" sails (light, typical, offshore) and three more grades in "racing" sails or other high-tech fabrics, with options for fittings, etc. Prices change seasonally, and depending on how fast you need the sails, and the kind of support you'll get. (Local with a rep, or shipping it back.)
Rigging involves a lot of labor and labor aloft--if you're up to that, you can save some money on the job. If not, again, ask at least two local yards or riggers for a quote. Make sure the materials are the same, the work will be the same, and consider their reputation as well.
Unreasonable? Well...let's just say there is a lot of variation in pricing, starting with quality, time, location, performance, and in some places, just getting the guys to show up (or deliver) on time is a problem.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:46   #18

Boat: Sceptre 41
$4500 for re-rigging sounds reasonable. I just redid the rigging on my boat and spent $10k. It was all rod rigging. My boat is a 41' cutter. I could have done it myself if I could have got the boat to SF instead of being 800 miles away. But the thought of losing the rig on the way with 22 year rigging was not at all appealing. Losing your rig sucks.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 14:47   #19

Re: cost of a sailboat refit

ok, first of all thanks guys, this is a great thread. Question, how often should the mast be replaced? If the rigging is only good for ten years then it seems to me the mast likely needs replaceing as well
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 14:54   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

masts should not need to be replaced as often as rigging.
mine are 1976 spruce hollow box masts in perfect condition. just need paint.
my in progress as i cruise currently refit is costing a lot less than anyone could imagine and i am not paying retail.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 15:09   #21

an aluminum mast should last a very long time unless corrosion at the base or other fittings has become a big issue. Cycle fatigue does occur in Aluminum, but I'm not sure most masts really cycle but minimally as far as the distance of each cycle.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 15:52   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" If the rigging is only good for ten years then it seems to me the mast likely needs replaceing as well "

The standing rigging is made of steel cable held in tension.

The mast is made of aluminum tubing held in compression.

They have very little in common. You might as well say, throw out your shoes whenever your underwear need replacing.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 15:57   #23

Here is a very detailed cost accounting of our refit of a 1974 W32 (32 foot boat):

http://sundownersailsagain.com/wp-co...-130510_r1.pdf

Specifically about the rigging. We're replacing all standing and running rigging with the exception of the mast. This includes even the boomkins and bowsprit which most boats do not have. The cost will be near 10k when done. These are real world numbers with us doing all of the work ourselves.

Don't kid yourself about how much this stuff can cost. Ours is only one accounting, but we find many people don't keep numbers as well as we do. Hope this helps.
Old 25-10-2013, 16:24   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
" If the rigging is only good for ten years then it seems to me the mast likely needs replaceing as well "

The standing rigging is made of steel cable held in tension.

The mast is made of aluminum tubing held in compression.

They have very little in common. You might as well say, throw out your shoes whenever your underwear need replacing.
dosent matter, both have working and static loading.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 09:24   #25

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I just have to stick my two pennyworth in on this one.
Waterwayguy has said it the simplest—it’s like asking how long is a piece of string. And Eventide is about right as well.
There are too many variables, all anyone can offer is their own personal expenditure, but even then it depends whether they use professionals, or do it yourself.
I’m nearing the completion of a big three year refit to my 45’ schooner—at least I hope so. See, www.schooner-britannia.com.
It was a ketch, so that’s a big refit, and I still have about $5,000 bits to buy. I have kept a meticulous record of every penny spent, but I daren’t even mention it here because the wife might read this.
There are certain criteria which will alter your figures immensely.
If you employ a professional you pay labour, but also for parts, which they mark up. If you do the job yourself you can shop the internet and invariably buy things much cheaper, and usually tax free with free shipping.
As an example: Because I changed the rig, (which in itself was something not many people do, and a big expense), none of my old wires fitted, so I upgraded all standing rigging to 3/8” wire. A rigger’s quote was some $9,000, which would have been nice to have him do…except for one overriding problem. I beat West Marine’s price by 30% with Florida Rigging Supply. I picked up all brand new wires for $2,520 and fitted them myself. Oh! I did actually pay a rigger $430.00 to do a particular job, after I hurt myself for a time.
Another major variation which can change the cost drastically is what people mean by ‘refit.’ I’m sure many would think we have gone overboard with a hot tub—$1,620.00, and air mattresses instead of foam. That’s our personal choice of course, but these things have added up to a higher sum than someone with lesser requirements.
I have researched, bought and fitted most things myself, and have surely saved well over 100% above the cost of employing professionals.
Of course, you have to have the skill, tools and time to do all this, but then, that’s boating for you.
Old 28-10-2013, 09:34   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Here is a very detailed cost accounting of our refit of a 1974 W32 (32 foot boat):

http://sundownersailsagain.com/wp-co...-130510_r1.pdf

Specifically about the rigging. We're replacing all standing and running rigging with the exception of the mast. This includes even the boomkins and bowsprit which most boats do not have. The cost will be near 10k when done. These are real world numbers with us doing all of the work ourselves.

Don't kid yourself about how much this stuff can cost. Ours is only one accounting, but we find many people don't keep numbers as well as we do. Hope this helps.
Nice accounting. Those who think they can get a cheap boat and not spend what the boat cost outfitting should read it!
Not that it has to be that way, you can simply not do some things... but many people dont go there....

Old 28-10-2013, 12:20   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there are some of us with blessings granted who do not have to spend thru nose for refit. i am one of those fortunate few. i am happily cruising my barge as i refit. total refit, btw, so far, in 5 yrs i have spent a total of under 8000 usd including repower, realignment of engine, compression post below mizzen mast pending destruction and reconstruction IN FULL of beam beneath galley and galley and dinette and battery stowage and fridge and everything . so. you ALL know i do NOT pay retail.
oh yes include rebuilding of lift pump and injector pump and heat exchanger for transmission, and mizzen spreader repair which was welding of fitting, which was under 20 usd, and many other repairs --. my total outpouring of dough will be WELL UNDER 20k usd and the time invested will be 2-3 yrs.no i am not doing this work myself.
i lucked on the best shipwright i could find, with a reputation that preceded him by a few years.
my initial investment was 10k, or a used ericson 35 mII.
so..keep your dream of cheap cruiser as it CAN happen, IFF you are smart and look long and hard for your dream boat.
is harder to find now, but excellent deals are still out here.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 14:34   #28

I think the difference is, some people have to have everything right or they are uncomfortable and others just go cruising and fix as they get around to it or as it breaks.
I had friends who bought a Pan Asian 48 PH.They did nothing to it really, the reak decks were buckling up at the chainplate area etc. Eventually they splurged and bought a new mainsail. They sailed the Caribe for 3 years, returned home, still did nothing to it and sold it for what they paid for it!
To each his own. In many ways i admired them. i'm too anal about my boats...They are just a tool. an old beat up Craftsman wrench or a new Snap On will do the same job.... :>)

Old 28-10-2013, 14:45   #29

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
ok, first of all thanks guys, this is a great thread. Question, how often should the mast be replaced? If the rigging is only good for ten years then it seems to me the mast likely needs replaceing as well
This is 2008 thread. The mast is only replaced if it has an issue - rot, corrosion, kink or bend. Etc.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 14:54   #30

Boat: a sailing boat

Re cost. 2013, all wires + 4 new screws, EUR 500. Boat 3.5t. It would be 1k if we went full monthy.

Wire / terminal / screw / toggle prices go skyrocket as you go up with wire size.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit