Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2019, 19:00   #31

Boat: nauticat 44
Re: cost for ocean transportation via ship

my quote is from D.Y.T. Yacht Transport and I believe that they are the largest company in the industry.
hatteras53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 06:58   #32

Boat: Catalina 42 MK I

Thanks Tillsbury! Appreciate the response.
Geoff H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 10:32   #33

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I guess I’m as jaundiced as Montana when I think about the real cost of that trip and the hassle of the Panama canal. We don’t know all the facts, or the reason for the transfer, but a Nauticat 44 should fetch a good price in America. Add to that the true cost of getting it to Australia, and possible import duty. It might be less hassle to sell in the US and buy in Oz.
If I desired to keep the boat I would sail it there myself, with a well acquainted crew, and make a vacation/sabatical out of it.
All scenarios are fraught with possible unforeseen costs and problems. Boats! Who’d av em!
Old 23-01-2019, 11:17   #34

Boat: nauticat 44

Thank you so much Jolly Rancher.

Our vessel is a 1981 Nauticat schooner for which we paid about 70 k but have almost completely re-fitted for an additional 80 K. So we have about 150 k into the boat. If we do the Baltimore to Manila trip, it will be with the help of others. Then I think it will be part of a circumnavigation. My wife's entire family is on Manila and of course she is a Filipino. There is a 1999 Nauticat 44 for sale near New Zealand right now but that is still over 4 k miles away from Manila and ours is probably in better condition after all of the work. The 1999 is listed at about 187 K and probably could be bought for about 150-160 K. Then there is the whole question of full coverage insurance for international waters. The insurance company has a long list of do and don't. Sometimes I just think it would be best to stay here in U.S. waters and keep it simple. So many regulations. It would cost about 3 k just to go look at the 1999 because it is presently south of New Zealand on a relatively small island. I have little confidence in boat salesmen and high priced surveyors too. Maybe if we actually do this it is best to have only liability insurance which is about 1 k. Full insurance is 5 k with plenty of stipulations and ways out of paying a claim. I am 66 and only looking for a stress free life. Maybe the I.C.W. and Bahamas is enough for me. The many Florida Keys look good too. For sure we would probably have a difference of at least 50 k between the sale our boat and the 1999. With our boat, we know has been done. If we only cruise in the U.S. and Bahamas life might be more simple. What say yeah shipmate ? Michael 410-913-2330
hatteras53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 11:41   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: cost for ocean transportation via ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatteras53 View Post
Thank you so much Jolly Rancher.

Our vessel is a 1981 Nauticat schooner for which we paid about 70 k but have almost completely re-fitted for an additional 80 K. So we have about 150 k into the boat. If we do the Baltimore to Manila trip, it will be with the help of others. Then I think it will be part of a circumnavigation. My wife's entire family is on Manila and of course she is a Filipino. There is a 1999 Nauticat 44 for sale near New Zealand right now but that is still over 4 k miles away from Manila and ours is probably in better condition after all of the work. The 1999 is listed at about 187 K and probably could be bought for about 150-160 K. Then there is the whole question of full coverage insurance for international waters. The insurance company has a long list of do and don't. Sometimes I just think it would be best to stay here in U.S. waters and keep it simple. So many regulations. It would cost about 3 k just to go look at the 1999 because it is presently south of New Zealand on a relatively small island. I have little confidence in boat salesmen and high priced surveyors too. Maybe if we actually do this it is best to have only liability insurance which is about 1 k. Full insurance is 5 k with plenty of stipulations and ways out of paying a claim. I am 66 and only looking for a stress free life. Maybe the I.C.W. and Bahamas is enough for me. The many Florida Keys look good too. For sure we would probably have a difference of at least 50 k between the sale our boat and the 1999. With our boat, we know has been done. If we only cruise in the U.S. and Bahamas life might be more simple. What say yeah shipmate ? Michael 410-913-2330
Sounds like a plan.. and return flights to Manila are cheaper..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 12:01   #36

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

FP Saba 50', La Rochelle to Ft. Lauderdale (arrives tomorrow ), $33K via Peters & May.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 12:07   #37

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Well, I appreciate that your original post was just an inquiry for ship transport, but now I’m a bit confused. Why New Zealand? And by the way, Manila to NZ is more like 6,000 miles by small boat.
If you are in Baltimore now, I suggest you get the heck out of that weather and head off down the ICW quick, to sunny Florida where it’s 70F this morning. Then hop across the stream and have a nice cruise in The Bahamas.
Unless there is grave reason to go to NZ, or Manila for that matter, you will soon forget about those places.
Old 23-01-2019, 13:23   #38

has anyone tried negotiating their quotations from the shipping company?
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 06:44   #39

Boat: Allied Seabreeze 35 1998-2013

Consider high/low season rates. If you can meet a boat returning empty, they will often cut a deal. I got one coming home from Genoa to Ft Lauderdale, by asking for their lowest fare. I then met the ship on their return departure.
jimcarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 06:55   #40

Boat: Taswell 43

FWIW, we have shipped our 43' monohull twice. Neither time we needed to but/make/procur a cradle, and both times we floated alongside, their divers placed straps under us, and their cranes hoisted us and into place. They placed their supports under us, welded them to the ship's deck, and then strapped us down. We did not need to pull the mast, but were asked to remove as much windage as possibe(sails, dodger and bimini, etc), secure the boom, and lock the boat (they kept a key, later returned to us). And from our experience, the float on/float off folkes have a very kool boat, and it's interesting to watch them load and launch....but were significantly more expensive! Shopping around only makes good sense.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 07:02   #41

Boat: Allied Seabreeze 35 1998-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcarrier View Post
Consider high/low season rates. If you can meet a boat returning empty, they will often cut a deal. I got one coming home from Genoa to Ft Lauderdale, by asking for their lowest fare. I then met the ship on their return departure.
the dockwise quote, five years ago, for my 35 foot Allied Seabreeze, was $11,600. I wrote about the options and my decision for Cruising World...Here'a link to the piece: https://www.cruisingworld.com/how/ho...ng-ranger-home
jimcarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 08:31   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatteras53 View Post
Just wanted to pass along a very recent quote we received from the largest company that is in the above business. They have vessels that are a floating dry dock and handle the entire process. Our boat is a 44' Nauticat with a 60' mast/12' beam/6' draft. The price is from Florida to Australia. So you had better sit down for the number. Ready or not, it is 49,000 U.S.D. Guess we will be bringing our boat on it's own bottom if we ever make this trip. Oh well, at least now we know the price. It is only about 1/3 the price of our boat L.O.L. !
I honestly don’t know what a fair price is to do this, but I agree that is a lot of money to transport your boat. If you have the time, you should do it yourself. I’m sure you will a fantastic, unforgettable voyage. Good luck to you! -Jon
JuliettOscarNov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 08:31   #43
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973

75 ft Nordhavn powerboat, FL to Newcastle, AU 1 year ago, regular general cargo ship, was $200,000 USD
Old 25-01-2019, 10:19   #44

48 foot st Thomas to Palma $24,000. 80 foot Rotterdam to Tahiti $124,000. Theses are both powerboats. Basically if you could do the trip on your own bottom it will cost you about the same as the shipping costs. The advantage of shipping is your boat is not worn out by the time you get there. Read the reviews on DYT before you book.
Peter's and May aren't the worst.
Kerryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 11:17   #45

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge

This is one place where a broker pays. They can cut a deal with the steamship lines. Yes, I used to be a broker, different business, and we would help carriers fill open slots so they could balance their loads. Steamship lines generally don't have the time to talk to individuals.
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote