Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2018, 15:25   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico 45
Cored Hull (Insulated) vs. Solid Glass

Good Afternoon CF Sailors,
I'm entering into the serious stage of finding my bluewater-capable, liveaboard boat. I'm looking in the 40-48 ft range, center cockpit with a budget of between 250 - 300k. I really like the idea of a cored hull (Divinylcell, Corecell, Airex or similar... non balsa), primarily for the insulation value, and preventing condensation, as I intend to sail in higher latitudes. I've not been able to find a resource that lists boats that are built with cored hulls above the waterline. I know the Swedish boats are... Hallberg-Rassy's, Malo's, Najad's... but these are so expensive!
Are there other manufacturers that I'm overlooking? Other boats that I should consider? I may be overthinking this, but it seems like an insulated boat would be an advantage regardless of climate, even in the tropics. Solid Glass boats may be known for the strength of their hull, but are also known for problems with condensation, humidity, etc. especially in colder climates.
I'd also like to hear from others that have experience or knowledge about living aboard cored/insulated hull boats... pros, cons...how important is it?
Comments and/or suggestions are appreciated!
Thank you,
Mark
S/V Reveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 16:11   #2

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50
Re: Cored Hull (Insulated) vs. Solid Glass

My top of the Luxury range French Yacht, a Fountaine Pajot, Saba 50, is cored. Below the waterline it is closed sell integrated reinforced foam core, above the water line it is blocks of sealed Balsa Core.

There is nothing wrong with Balsa Core if the individual blocks are sealed by a layer of fibreglass, as in my case. In the case of this Cat, it is for lightness and stiffness. Yes it insulates the hull, and yes it would be an advantage in colder climates. But this is not a perfect world, and it sounds like you are limited by the $$$.

I think I would look for the right boat, right design for my purposes, and worry about coating any exposed fiberglass with a layer of insulated vinyl if you need to.. If you need to.... And a diesel heater works wonders, having cruised in the snow country..

Kind regards, from "Helia 44" now on a Saba 50
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
core, hull