Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2015, 19:36   #1

Boat: Oceanis 40
Copy of a full survey needed for reference purposes.

I am looking for a copy of a detailed survey. I am buying a boat and would like to use it to do a thorough check before i conclude the sale.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Please PM me with details.
AFKASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 20:10   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Copy of a full survey needed for reference purposes.

Firstly, welcome to CF.

Regarding your query. It's probably unwise to purchase a vessel, without an objective, professional surveyor checking her out first. And, generally speaking, it's tough to get either a loan, or insurance on a vessel, without a survey of this type.

You likely want to start with these organizations The Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors, Inc.® - (SAMS®) & NAMSGlobal - Welcome Aboard | NAMSGlobal

A good acreddited surveyor will give your perspective boat a good going over, & give you a lengthy writeup, to include (and this is an abridged list); what's up to snuff, what needs fixing, what gear's onboard & what condition it's in, recommendations for what needs doing to the boat, etc. , etc.
He'll walk you through all of his findings. And one of any quality will field your questions and or concerns about X, & Y, while or after conducting his survey.

If you do a bit of targeted searching on here, you'll find some quality info about, as well as written by, surveyors. It's a search/some reading, which is well worth doing.

Ah, & when you're considering someone for the job. Aside from making sure that he's someone with which you can easily communicate. You want to make sure that he's more than just a name in the phone book. IE; make sure that he has a good reputation. And don't ascertain the latter quality by talking to boat brokers.

Good luck with getting the boat! And I hope that all turns out well and that you really enjoy her.

PS: If you tell us more about your perspective purchase, you'll get more targeted feedback in terms of what you need in a surveyor. And if you tell us where you are, we can likely provide a few names (of surveyors) to look into.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 20:17   #3

I don't think a copy of another survey will really help you with what you want Somebody else's survey is just going to have a list of things that the surveyor felt important enough to mention there will be many many other things that the surveyor looked at that maybe didn't make mention also a surveyor will look it different things on different boats also there skills the surveyor develops such is being able to tell the condition of wood simplified knocking on it you won't get that experience to you knocked on many many books well I would suggest is reading a couple of books about marine service you can find a few on amazon and check out a few of these links from the web that describe how to do your own survey what I did was read the books follow these links and then I did a pre purchase inspection that I was pretty comfortable ruled out most if not all of the deal breakers but I will still need a quality marine survey done before I can insure my new boat

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...N3_yWd-qxkwj1A

DIY Survey Checklist for Used-boat Buying - Practical Sailor Print Edition Article

Marine Surveyors Earn Their Fee « www.yachtworld.com www.yachtworld.com

A good question to ask year would be if anybody has the same boat that you're looking at buying if they have any particular problem areas that they would suggest you look at so let us know what the boat is your looking out when it was made and where it has been used and maybe somebody here until you want to watch out for
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 22:03   #4

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I want a suvery report simply to serve as a checklist for my initial inspection. If my initial inspection is positive then I will get a survey. I need one in any case for insurance.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-09-2015, 23:38   #5

The first 2 links i posted will do you far more good than looking at some random survey. If you want any more depth of suveying info you will need to get ahold of one of the handfull of books on the subject.

If you are handy, mechanically/ electrically inclined, focused and pay attention to detail, do a little research and practice you have a pretty good chance of doing your own prepurchase inspection.

Once you find a boat you want and decide to do an inspection. Do a lot of research on that make/model of boat and on that specific boat. See if you can get your hands on old receipt s for work, repairs and replacements from a previous owner maybe you can get ahold of an old survey from that boat and really scrutinize any spots that should have been addressed to make sure they were delt with and done proper.

Also research and explore boat building techniques/ books covering the style of boat and construction methods used in the boat your looking at

One thing is for certain, looking over a " sample survey " will NOT give you the knowledge, insight, experience and expertise to pull off a decent prepurchase inspection.
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 07:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFKASAP View Post
I am looking for a copy of a detailed survey. I am buying a boat and would like to use it to do a thorough check before i conclude the sale.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Please PM me with details.
Hi everyone - very first post for me, excellent forum, brilliant members...

To afkasap
Sample, Example Marine Survey Report
compuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 08:28   #7

Boat: Gulf 32

Being in the midst of this myself I agree that a sample survey isn't going to tell you much as a general tool.

That being said, if you are looking at a specific boat it never hurts to ask if there's an older survey to look at for that boat... I have found even a few years old it's still telling history on the boat. However, IMO, that NEVER EVER is a substitute for getting a current survey from a surveyor of your choice.

My experience is you should ALWAYS (on a boat worth any amount of money) have a professional surveyor that you select do a survey on a boat when you buy it... they are the pros (as long as you follow other's recommendations on picking the right surveyor) and will catch things you miss. Besides, your insurance company is probably going to want one anyway, and even if they don't find deal stoppers it's a great start to the (never ending) "to do" list.

So, your real goal here is to filter the many boats you might look at, so you're not paying for 10 surveys (I speak from experience, I'm on the hook for multiple ones this year!). To that end, what (appears to have) worked for me was two things:

1) Get a copy of inspecting the aging sailboat by Don Casey:
http://www.amazon.com/Inspecting-Sai.../dp/0071445455
... invaluable for doing your own 30-45 minute "mini survey" which will eliminate lots of boats and save you from having to pay a surveyor to survey them. It's also great if, like me, you're not super familiar with all the ways systems could go wrong.

2) Make / find a checklist and follow it religiously on every boat you look at. This is key for me... keeps me from getting all gaga eyed over LED strip lighting and the newest radar while meanwhile the keel is falling off! You should be able to Google them up pretty easily, but here are links to two Excel docs that I used:
http://www.pictureofnectar.com/Surve....COMPLETE.xlsx
... I don't take credit for this, I found it only somewhere, but it was convoluted to find so the link above is off my own server for ease of download... this is a *very* complete document, for me more complete than I needed.

So on recent boat looking trip I distilled that down to a slightly more manageable document with columns for multiple boats, make notes on this *as you're looking* and then you can review later:
http://www.pictureofnectar.com/Survey_checksheet.xlsx
(if you print this one only print columns A-F (or just pages 1 - 11) or you'll end up with twice the paper used for the one column I that is used to highlight the rows for readability).

If you follow your checksheet religiously when looking at boats you should have, it seems to me, a pretty good idea of which boat is the best you've looked at and therefore is worth the cost of a real surveyor's time, haul out etc.

-- Bass
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 13:01   #8

Thank you for all your replies, links and PM's with survey reports. They all came in very handy today.

As one of you mentioned, my objective was simply to get I list of points to remind me which items to check in my initial inspection.

My inspection was positive and I will be getting a survey done this Friday.
Old 29-09-2015, 13:16   #9

Boat: CS36T

Marine Survey 101, Do your own marine survey

Tags
enc, survey