Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2017, 14:20   #1

Cool experience - Ohio Class?

It was a rainy/foggy day a couple of weeks ago and my wife and I were cruising home from a trip out to Block Island. We were in Long Island sound a few miles south of Fisher's Island headed into Gardiner's Bay.

It was a quiet weekday, but rainy and foggy so I had the radar set to a 5nm view and I was checking the screen every 5 minutes or so. I popped up to give it a glance and just 1nm mile away to starboard there was suddenly a big target giving off one heck of a signature.

Startled, I grabbed the binoculars and for a few moments just couldn't figure out what I was looking at... it looked like a black lighthouse base moving parallel to us through the water. I continued to stare, totally confused for a few moments until I saw the tail fin (?) pop out of the water... at which point the nerdy 14 year old inside me started giddily yelling "Holy s**t!!!!! It's a f******g nuclear sub!!!"

My wife came running up thinking something terrible had happened. Nope, just me freaking out like a jerk.

I want to say that was at least 300' long, but all I could see was the "tower" part and the "fin".

Within seconds, the Coasties came on and issued a security perimeter around the "Navy ship"... hardly a colorful enough description in my opinion at that moment.

Looking it up online later, I now think it was an Ohio-class sub. Maybe someone with more knowledge of this stuff than me can tell me what I was looking at. Anyone else ever see one of these subs in LI sound? I must say, it was pretty darn cool.
Old 25-07-2017, 14:58   #2

Re: Cool experience - Ohio Class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
It was a rainy/foggy day a couple of weeks ago and my wife and I were cruising home from a trip out to Block Island. We were in Long Island sound a few miles south of Fisher's Island headed into Gardiner's Bay.

It was a quiet weekday, but rainy and foggy so I had the radar set to a 5nm view and I was checking the screen every 5 minutes or so. I popped up to give it a glance and just 1nm mile away to starboard there was suddenly a big target giving off one heck of a signature.

Startled, I grabbed the binoculars and for a few moments just couldn't figure out what I was looking at... it looked like a black lighthouse base moving parallel to us through the water. I continued to stare, totally confused for a few moments until I saw the tail fin (?) pop out of the water... at which point the nerdy 14 year old inside me started giddily yelling "Holy s**t!!!!! It's a f******g nuclear sub!!!"

My wife came running up thinking something terrible had happened. Nope, just me freaking out like a jerk.

I want to say that was at least 300' long, but all I could see was the "tower" part and the "fin".

Within seconds, the Coasties came on and issued a security perimeter around the "Navy ship"... hardly a colorful enough description in my opinion at that moment.

Looking it up online later, I now think it was an Ohio-class sub. Maybe someone with more knowledge of this stuff than me can tell me what I was looking at. Anyone else ever see one of these subs in LI sound? I must say, it was pretty darn cool.
300' is not an Ohio class. Actually all nuc boats are longer than that.

Did it have fairwater planes on the sail?

Not much reason for an SSBN to be up there. LA or VA out of Groton would be my guess.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 15:05   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post

Not much reason for an SSBN to be up there. LA or VA out of Groton would be my guess.

I couldn't tell ya about the actual length (it was BIG...) or whether it had "planes". Here is a pic I snapped through the binoculars though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender(1).jpg
Views:	483
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	152635  
Old 25-07-2017, 15:26   #4

Boat: Presto 36

About forty years ago I was coming into Charleston SC. from the southeast and had just crossed the extensive bar in front of the old fort. I was just inside the harbor, about a half a mile or so south of the designated channel when I heard what sounded like the bow wave of a huge freighter. I had been checking astern frequently and had seen nothing. Well, I turned just in time to see a sub's sail rising out of the water over in the channel. As I watched, the top of the hull cleared the water, a hatch at the base of the sail opened and several sailors came out on deck. It was amazing.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 15:37   #5

Quote:

I've done some googling about subs... had to search for "SSBN". Groton would make a ton of sense based on where I was.
Old 25-07-2017, 15:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
About forty years ago I was coming into Charleston SC. from the southeast and had just crossed the extensive bar in front of the old fort. I was just inside the harbor, about a half a mile or so south of the designated channel when I heard what sounded like the bow wave of a huge freighter. I had been checking astern frequently and had seen nothing. Well, I turned just in time to see a sub's sail rising out of the water over in the channel. As I watched, the top of the hull cleared the water, a hatch at the base of the sail opened and several sailors came out on deck. It was amazing.
That must have been amazing. I was too far to see anyone pop out on deck, but I'm sure those guys were happy to get some fresh air and sunlight...
Old 25-07-2017, 16:47   #7

Quote:
That must have been amazing. I was too far to see anyone pop out on deck, but I'm sure those guys were happy to get some fresh air and sunlight...
Our courses were converging as I was also going to the naval yard. By the time the topsides of the hull cleared the water and the sailors appeared, we were only about 200 yards apart. I remember that the sub's bow wave was about 6 ft. high. I had read of course, how large the subs were but I was totally unprepared for its actual size. That was my first and only encounter with a sub. At least that I know of.
Old 25-07-2017, 17:06   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510

Its most likely a Los Angeles class. It doesn't look like the Ohio's bow or missile section. They also don't come up to Groton or GDEB unless it's something major.
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 17:21   #9

Quote:
I couldn't tell ya about the actual length (it was BIG...) or whether it had "planes". Here is a pic I snapped through the binoculars though...
Too small for a Ohio class SSBN which is 560' and there are no SSBN's working out of Groton.

Not a Virginia class.

Looks like a 688I, flight III SSN to me. Bow planes instead of Fairwater planes. 362' long.
Old 25-07-2017, 17:34   #10

Quote:
I was in and out of Charleston a bunch of times on SSBN 610 while completing overhaul.

Back in the day nuclear submarines couldn't dive without a waiver until they reached the 100 fathom curve. I don't recall it being that deep in the harbor??

We had to go quite a ways before going down.

Think about an early SSBN at 410'/425'. In 600 feet of water with a down or up angle there is very little distance from the bottom from the back or front depending if you were headed up or down. Less than 600' would require a level dive and surface which was difficult and somewhat dangerous to do.

Maybe you saw a SS Diesel boat? Most of them back then at the end of their careers wouldn't even go to 600'.

Now Guam was a different story. You could almost surface at the pier.
Old 26-07-2017, 00:41   #11

Quote:
I was in and out of Charleston a bunch of times on SSBN 610 while completing overhaul.

Back in the day nuclear submarines couldn't dive without a waiver until they reached the 100 fathom curve. I don't recall it being that deep in the harbor??

We had to go quite a ways before going down.

Think about an early SSBN at 410'/425'. In 600 feet of water with a down or up angle there is very little distance from the bottom from the back or front depending if you were headed up or down. Less than 600' would require a level dive and surface which was difficult and somewhat dangerous to do.

Maybe you saw a SS Diesel boat? Most of them back then at the end of their careers wouldn't even go to 600'.

Now Guam was a different story. You could almost surface at the pier.
Charleston Harbor is shallow, although its approaches are relatively deep. I have no idea what type of boat it was, I do remember we were very near Mt Pleasant when I first heard it surfacing. How much depth would be necessary to submerge the sail and hull of the smaller subs in those days?
Old 26-07-2017, 01:07   #12

Quote:
Charleston Harbor is shallow, although its approaches are relatively deep. I have no idea what type of boat it was, I do remember we were very near Mt Pleasant when I first heard it surfacing. How much depth would be necessary to submerge the sail and hull of the smaller subs in those days?
It's not about getting the sail under. It's about getting the whole boat under first.

Submerged ops in Charleston harbor, to put it kindly, wouldn't happen.

Maybe you were further out than you recall?
Old 26-07-2017, 01:32   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

There are 4 active classes of US subs. 3 attack - Los Angeles, Seawolf and Virginia. And the Ohios. Pic looks like an LA to me.

Navy ship pictures here. Current and old.

NavSource Naval History - Photo Archive Main Index
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 07:26   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Cool experience - Ohio Class?

How many Seawolves? I thought they dropped that rather quickly as the threat evolved to require something different?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 07:31   #15

I went down an internet rabbit hole last night looking at info about US subs... fascinating stuff. Looks like there are only 3 Sea Wolf class subs - The US Navy -- Fact File: Attack Submarines - SSN

Tags
enc, ohio