Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2013, 05:32   #16

Boat: Lagoon 37
Re: Convoying between Florida and Bahamas

Usually end up crossing alone, not planned just happens that way!!! But we have also crossed with a crowd, (30 boats one year). It was not a planned thing just the fact we were all headed for basically the same spot. Boats were from Ft. Lauderdale down to the Keys. I was kinda neat, made some really good friends that we still have. If you cross together you tend to end up running into each other all the way to GT, good or bad
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 08:47   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestathook View Post
I have never really understood what help people expect from being part of a convoy. In my experience troubles arise on bouncing seas in rough weather and winds, not on calm sunny days. Would you leave your reefed in, hove to, boat to dingy over to help another in high seas? Would you come alongside to help, and destroy both your rigging? Would you even give up your hard gained progress toward safety to go help somebody else, risking your own safety in the process. If you won't, the other convoy captains may make the same decision, or even see helping as impossible. I prefer to prepare for my needs, and execute my plan. I enjoy the company of those who do the same.
Congratulations for being so independent, and may you never need any assistance.
twarthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 12:02   #18

Boat: Lagoon 37
Re: Convoying between Florida and Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestathook View Post
I have never really understood what help people expect from being part of a convoy.

In my experience troubles arise on bouncing seas in rough weather and winds, not on calm sunny days.

Would you leave your reefed in, hove to, boat to dingy over to help another in high seas? Would you come alongside to help, and destroy both your rigging? Would you even give up your hard gained progress toward safety to go help somebody else, risking your own safety in the process.

If you won't, the other convoy captains may make the same decision, or even see helping as impossible.

I prefer to prepare for my needs, and execute my plan. I enjoy the company of those who do the same.
I have in fact turned back to assist and have had people heave to, to assist me. And I have done the crossing many times also. Could I have solved my own problems yes but the other captain insisted on waiting and helping by launching a dingy and giving me fuel, due to a batch of bad fuel.
And that is one of the wonderful things about the cruising community, we all help each other. Do you ignore mayday calls also to maintain your progress? And yes I have risk my own safety to assist another boat. I hope I am not the minority, I don't think I am!!!!!!!
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote