Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2017, 20:12   #61

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon
Re: Contributions to King Neptune things going overboard

Back when I was 6 I can remember my Mother throwing the car keys to my Dad. Her on shore him in the boat. Yep you saw it coming, in 8feet of dirty muddy Ohio River water never to be found. We were 110 miles from home. Remember Dad calling Uncle Bill to bring extra set from home.
Uncle Bill never let him forget it.
Old 26-07-2017, 20:47   #62

Boat: Catalina 387

Things lost overboard:

Ryobi 18v battery. Retrieved and worked for another year or so. Disassembly showed massive corrosion.

Friend dropped her keys. Mercedes electronic keyfob. Retrieved with a big magnet. Still works 2 years after the drop. Guess Mercedes makes good stuff.

A guest (20yo kid) dropped a 1 day old Iphone between the dock and the boat getting off. He was quite unhappy. I mentioned 1: Why was it in your hand rather than your pocket? 2: There's maybe a total of 6" of water between the boat and the dock. Oh, and why was it in your hand?

He asked if there was a diver that could look for it. I explained there were plenty - go out and look for the bottom cleaners and they could find the Iphone. I also explained that the Iphone would not likely work. Ahwell... There's an Iphone under my boat if anybody wants to go look for it.

Friend dropped the boarding ladder so often we now have a lanyard on it. He dove it a few times. Once it was in 40 -50 ft, but there was a dive boat nearby that got it back.

Screws a plenty. A tool or three. we've all dropped crap off the boat.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 23:20   #63

Some years ago I was running a fleet of tourist boats in the Whitsunday islands area of the Great Barrier Reef. We needed to establish a suitable facility on the outer reef to run our 300 passenger International catamaran to.

We needed about 400 yards of good coral for a 60Ft coral viewing vessel, at a site also suitable for walking on the reef at low tide. It also had to have a low current flow, as most tourists don't understand the dangers & can be swept away all too easily.

Two of us were diving along parts of the 10 mile passage between Hook & Hardy reefs, with another staff member following along above us in a 16 foot boat. I suddenly caught a flash of something going down a few yards away.

The water was clear enough to see something had stopped on the coral slope about 60 Ft down, but not what it was. Being curious I went to have a look, & found a scuba tank & weight belt. The other diver had dropped it while trying to hand it up to the boat.

That was one trophy Neptune did not get.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 08:42   #64

installing my main, putting in thumb screw in mast channel, watched it bounce off cabin roof, lost sight of it, could't find it anywhere figured it went overboard. made 1 hour return trip to store to get replacement, first time out sailing, found the thumb screw under my spinnaker pole. got so excited that i climbed over jib sheet to show the first mate and lost my multi tool out of my back pocket: banghead:
Old 27-07-2017, 09:16   #65

Boat: Pearson 10M

So a couple of weeks ago I was anchored in my local bay having a drink with my girl and grilling a delicious shrimp boil wrapped in foil. The rail mounted holder is tilted back to clear the bimini. So while checking dinners progress I opened the lid of my Magna grill, which I assume shifts the balance astern. So apparently despite my enthusiasm tightening the mounting screws the grill starts to invert. I would have grabbed it but I hesitated assuming it was hot. The grates disappeared, however the wrapped food ended up inside the lid waiting rescue. Not happy about having to buy new grates, but would be less happy telling my hungry girl I just fed dinner to the bunker. Could have been worse.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 09:45   #66

Boat: Island Packet 35

latest contribution was the fuel bowl off my 2.3 Honda outboard, became a pricey bit of maintenance.
If everyone responds to this who has lost something overboard I think it will be the longest thread to date!!
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:21   #67

Boat: Lots of boats.

It was already dark and we were anchoring in a storm that had come up. We had gotten there late because earlier my motor caught a crab trap and it had to be cut off before we could continue. Anyway, my wife (at the time) was on the bow with the anchor and I hear this bump/splash, followed by the sound of chain clicking as it followed the anchor over the side. Told her to pull it in as I was not ready to set just yet. Silence... She then said she couldn't pull in the anchor. Why? I figured it had caught on the bottom. Nope, there was nothing to pull in.

The boat was small and had no anchor locker so the rode was brought forward and connected when we anchored. Well, she had already put the anchor on deck and was just about to connect it to the rode when the rocking set the anchor in motion over the side. Worse yet, I did not have a spare anchor at the time. So there we were in a dark harbor, wind howling and no way to anchor for the night. I ended up beaching the boat and tying it to some nearby trees until morning and high tide.

Lessons learned? 1) Make sure the anchor is well connected to the boat before doing anything. 2) Doesn't hurt to have a spare anchor!
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:52   #68

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
They used to make a keychain gadget that burst open and self-inflated if dropped in water and would keep your stuff afloat. i used to have one, but I have not seen them in many years.
Still do. See (click on) Davis Key Buoy.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 13:07   #69

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Some years ago we were racing in the Bradenton YC "Kick-Off Regatta". About mid-way through the first race a meek lady's voice came over the VHF informing the Race Committee that they, one of the favored boats in the Spinnaker Division, were dropping out. The Committee Boat responded asking whether there was an injury aboard. The distressed sounding lady responded "Not yet, but I managed to drop both of our winch handles overboard and we can't continue without; so, could someone please check on me once we get back to the Long Dock?" (Evidently her "lesser half" was fit to be tied! She did survive their return but spent the rest of the Regatta sitting on the sea wall next to the Long Dock!)
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 14:25   #70

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Some years ago we were racing in the Bradenton YC "Kick-Off Regatta". About mid-way through the first race a meek lady's voice came over the VHF informing the Race Committee that they, one of the favored boats in the Spinnaker Division, were dropping out. The Committee Boat responded asking whether there was an injury aboard. The distressed sounding lady responded "Not yet, but I managed to drop both of our winch handles overboard and we can't continue without; so, could someone please check on me once we get back to the Long Dock?" (Evidently her "lesser half" was fit to be tied! She did survive their return but spent the rest of the Regatta sitting on the sea wall next to the Long Dock!)
A cute believable story.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 14:53   #71

Boat: 1975 Morgan OI 41 Ketch

We've all made contributions to Neptune of one shape or size....
Numerous nuts and bolts of various sizes and so on....
my mainsail outhaul clevis pin

When our daughter and her husband arrived for a visit in March they had a full bottle of Captain Morgan 100, which I told her was crap rum. While boarding, she tripped on the finger pier, caught herself on the neighboring boat but her full bottle of crap went sploosh....never to be recovered.
That night a thunderstorm blew through with straight line winds reaching almost 40. During the storm I told her that Neptune doesn't like CM either.
shotglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 15:05   #72

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

"Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
They used to make a keychain gadget that burst open and self-inflated if dropped in water and would keep your stuff afloat. i used to have one, but I have not seen them in many years."

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Still do. See (click on) Davis Key Buoy.
I clicked on the link, and while the product looks OK, it might be interesting if it deployed in your pocket.
Old 03-08-2017, 15:10   #73

Boat: J/42

Sometimes, if it's a warm day and I have room, I pick up other people's sacrifices, just cause I don't like the way they look on the bottom. So, the haul from last night's SUP session: a small fender (floating), a ball cap, a snorkel, couple of bud cans, and... a bottle of olive oil?
Is there some ceremony I don't know about that involves olive oil?
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 15:16   #74

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Sometimes, if it's a warm day and I have room, I pick up other people's sacrifices, just cause I don't like the way they look on the bottom. So, the haul from last night's SUP session: a small fender (floating), a ball cap, a snorkel, couple of bud cans, and... a bottle of olive oil?
Is there some ceremony I don't know about that involves olive oil?
We need more information than just, "a bottle of olive oil." On top of that, the question mark raises other possibilities. But the short answer is, perhaps. Do you know the secret sign or handshake?
Old 25-09-2017, 09:16   #75

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

Two weeks ago One of my favorite hats joined my wallet

Tags
overboard, rib