Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2017, 12:03   #31

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'
Re: Contributions to King Neptune things going overboard

I have lost one pair of sunglasses. It was especially annoying since I had the croakies on the glasses. I didn't however have them around my neck since I just needed them for only a minute. Ooops.

I have had a few things dropped by others. Most worrying were the grates for my Magna grill during a 4th of July party. The fireworks were right in front of the marina and I had some fifty guests at my slip. Someone was cooking on the grill and pushed too hard on the grill. It tipped and in they went. So naturally, in I went looking for them. It was low tide on the Hudson and I found them with my feet after some fifteen minutes of searching. One can't see more than a foot in the Hudson due to the silt. The end result was that I found them, the party was a success, I hosed the fine brackish Hudson water off of me, and others had fun filming my misfortune!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 12:29   #32

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Once, at a mooring ball at Thwartway Island (just one of the 1000 islands), a couple kids from another boat were diving with fins and masks, looking for treasure. I called them over hoping they could retrieve my sunglasses, which had gone over the side earlier that day. With their masks and fins they had my sunglasses in no time flat. To thank them, I tossed a couple old canadian silver dollars (early 60's, one full ounce of silver) over the side for them to have. But coins go into the muck, whereas the sunglasses sat on top of the muck and weeds. They never found the coins. After, I went over the side to try to find them myself...I knew exactly where they should be...but gave up after an hour. It was only about 7 feet deep, and clear sweet water. Lesson learned.

BTW, if you are at Thwartway Island, you are welcome to search for those coins...they are worth about $20 each now.
Now they have a story about the guy who chucked their payment overboard. A metal detector might help though silver may not get picked up. Depends on the detector and the settings I think.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 13:42   #33

Boat: Gulf 32

A winch collett for jib sheet winches... and not when I was anywhere close to a chandlery.

I now use the "box around the winch" trick when servicing / repairing:
Old 19-07-2017, 13:56   #34

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
A winch collett for jib sheet winches... and not when I was anywhere close to a chandlery.

I now use the "box around the winch" trick when servicing / repairing:
GREAT idea !

Genius.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 14:17   #35

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
GREAT idea !

Genius.
Full disclosure, not my idea, just something I came across... after losing parts...
Old 19-07-2017, 14:27   #36

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
GREAT idea !

Genius.
Ditto
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 14:39   #37

Boat: Passport 40

I was on a charter in the Seychelles and we came around an Island to be hit with 35 knots of breeze on the nose and confused seas. With engine on we were making our way to a safe haven when we heard a bang and then a splash to see the antenna sink into the great blue behind us. The charter company asked why we didn't go after it :/
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 14:39   #38

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

In 2015, I had purchased a fifth of Meyer's Rum as a gift to the folks on an island we were visiting. I put the bottle in my waist pack, but forgot to zip it up. As I transited to the inflatable, I heard a "ploop" and watched the bottle lazily spin to the bottom. I decided that the sea gods needed a sacrifice, so just went with my lazy inclination to let it lie and not mention it.

I hate pockets as a general rule and just don't use them; I tie my glasses securely to my head with good-quality retainers before leaving the house, as I'm effectively blind without them. Funny how total dependency creates compulsive behaviour...
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 14:58   #39

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
They used to make a keychain gadget that burst open and self-inflated if dropped in water and would keep your stuff afloat. i used to have one, but I have not seen them in many years.
They have em in the West Marine near my boat.

I've had good success with the floatie fobs, just limit how many keys.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 15:04   #40

Getting my favorite spatula back from Neptune cost me six weeks of no diving on our last Bahamas trip.

We were anchored, and I was at the back pulpit grilling up some lobster and zucchini squash. I was using my favorite spatula, the one I have had for ten years, when I slipped and it went overboard.

I watched it spiral it's way to the bottom and then looked at it lying there. Then I looked at the depth finder. Twenty two feet. Then I looked at the spatula, still lying there. Then I said, what the hell, dove in, went straight down, picked it up, and blew out my ear drums.

Aw, darn. But, I still have that spatula!
Old 19-07-2017, 15:28   #41

That's called "Thinking inside the Box "
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 15:48   #42

Contributions to King Neptune things going overboard

Sunset. Mooring ball just outside the bight of Norman Island. Tying up the dink when the sound of a splash let me know the Mauis were heading for the bottom. Feet first dive and grabbed them blindly back into my hands. The rest of my drops have ended differently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4392.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	152246
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 17:12   #43

Boat: adams 35

Somewhere about the middle of Cherbourg harbour there's a case of gin. Should be in fine fettle by now, I think it was 1968 or thereabouts. Haven't had the heart to go back.......
qwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 17:18   #44

Boat: Valiant 42

I don't buy liquor anymore. I just dive around slips retrieving lost glasses, rings, etc. A pair of Maui Jims will get me a liter of Crown Royal or a nice rum. This year has been pretty quiet though. Someone needs to lose something over the side soon as my liquor stock is running low.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 17:29   #45

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I don't buy liquor anymore. I just dive around slips retrieving lost glasses, rings, etc. A pair of Maui Jims will get me a liter of Crown Royal or a nice rum. This year has been pretty quiet though. Someone needs to lose something over the side soon as my liquor stock is running low.
There's a nice bottle of Meyer's Rum at the bottom of Shomushon Bay; just sayin'...
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overboard, rib