Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2013, 21:50   #16

Re: Contessa 32 question

Rangers were great beer can racers, you can still win with them.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 23:12   #17
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Rangers were great beer can racers, you can still win with them.
A few have been cruised quite successfully as well. I met one guy who did something like 14,000 miles around the Pacific in a Ranger 33 and he told me he regretted selling the boat. My Ranger had been cruised in Mexico for about 4 years by a young family.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 05:11   #18

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Well there you go. Mine had a tiller and I think most of the Brit boats were tillers as well but I just learned something, thanks.
I don't think a wheel was even an option for Jeremy Rogers boats (by the way, they still build new CO32s if you want to buy one.) But the North American market demands a wheel. I'm married to a small segment of this market, so I know.
Old 23-03-2013, 06:18   #19

Boat: contessa 32

Hi All I have the Brit. Contessa w tiller, my preference (see other Threads for opinions on this).Ziggy here has the Canadian one w wheel and I can tell by his posts he is quite knowledgeable .My boat is here in New York but like Ziggy I cruise New England waters.
Have heard recently that there is a 32 for sale some where near the Chesapeake region.
These boats are legendary for their seakeeping and sailing abilities,but as a full time live aboard for more than one I would want something more spacious. There are many (always favorable) reviews on the internet ,even wikpedia,and this boat is still in production by Jeremy Rogers Ltd in England with an active assn. and good websites for both. I just received some replacement parts from the builder so you can get most anything that you need shipped direct.
Gigi was the smallest boat to sail west about around Cape Horn and another 32 was recently sailed solo across the Atlantic by the youngest ever to do so (15 yo).
British waters offer quite spirited sailing with strong winds over rugged tidal streams and in these conditions my Contessa excels; Ziggy tells me that his Canadian Contessa has a 3 foot taller mast which I could easily envy in the light airs here on the Hudson River.
There are always a handful available in Europe and the return trip via the Canaries thru the West Indies would be memorable.

I really should get some photos up on this forum.Best of luck.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 19:02   #20

Boat: Contessa 32

The question has already been answered by others, but I will chime in and say that there are a *lot* more CO32's on the E Coast of Canada than there are out here in BC. They are rare on the W Coast -- there are a few 26's, one pops up every now and then f/s, but 32's are hen's teeth.

I lucked out this Spring and found an old beater from 1981 f/s in the Vancouver area; rarity set her price higher than other boats that would seem comparable, but I was willing to pay the premium. I do mean "beater" -- sails are tired, hull shows honourable scars from trips to S Pacific, gelcoat shows many stress fractures, Bukh DV20 still running OK but starter motor on its way out, all-chain rode rusted to the point of no return, engine controls corroded solid, ancient kerosene appliances are a PITA, etc.

So I'm throwing quite a few bucks at refit already, but... it seems worthwhile. The hullform is pleasing and the handling is sedate and manageable; I think she's the boat for all of my remaining sailing years. A nice compromise between performance (I am too old and too small to singlehand a J boat in a good breeze) and safety/comfort.

Yes she is small and pokey inside (I used to own a 40-footer and am feeling a bit compressed). A hobbit-hole in the water for sure. But the quality of the GRP layup is reassuring, and she sails very nicely: "well mannered" is the phrase that comes to mind. Never does anything unexpected, always willing. Yes, a J will kick my posterior in light air, but I think I might return the favour beating into head seas :-) well, with newer sails anyway.

Mine is a Taylor (I think number 25, still trying to determine provenance) but has tiller steering.

I would call the CO32 the perfect size for singlehanded serious sailing -- all conditions, anywhere in the world. She is a little small for doublehanding over long periods unless you get along *very* well with your partner :-) And as a family cruiser -- nah. I think her PHRF is 170-something.

Anyway, she's a Nice Little Boat.
Old 29-05-2013, 18:24   #21

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootlessAgraria View Post
I would call the CO32 the perfect size for singlehanded serious sailing -- all conditions, anywhere in the world.
Agree
Quote:
She is a little small for doublehanding over long periods unless you get along *very* well with your partner :-)
If you don't get along with your partner very well, any boat will be your private little floating hell on a long voyage.
Quote:
And as a family cruiser -- nah.
Actually, we have taken a few two week cruises with my wife, my son, and my mother in law, and we all survived and were willing to repeat the experience!

Quote:
Anyway, she's a Nice Little Boat.
Absolutely!