Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-07-2013, 20:51   #16

Boat: grampian 26
Re: Contemporary Taste Meets Classical Design

If shes got the money she can have any boat she damn well pleases.

Old 05-07-2013, 21:02   #17
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Contemporary Taste Meets Classical Design

Would not touch an Oyster with a barge pole...
But then... would an owner trust me with one.....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 21:08   #18

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Cutter rigs are sweet, as long as they have a mizzen to go with the staysail!! We have a 110 genny , high cut, and a self tending staysail. Never have any problem tacking! Mostly just the normal genny stuff and sometimes a small trim to main and mizzen and sometimes we just run the old jib and jigger when shes blowin, makes for lots of miles a day and real soft sailin in winds of 20 25 MPH Auto-pilot hardly has to work !! Ya just cant beat lots of different sail combos. If nothing else it gives ya something to do on those slow wind days !!LOL Just our 2 cents
Old 05-07-2013, 21:26   #19

Boat: Cal 29

Mark, I won't tell anyone but I heard you have no soul. True?
Old 05-07-2013, 21:34   #20

Boat: csy 44 tall rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
Has anyone here found themselves struggling with visual attraction vs practical application when searching for a boat?

Back in the '70s, when I first imagined myself sailing the ocean, the boats that I fell in love with were the IOR racers. The sleek design, flush deck, multi-spreader tall rigs made my heart skip a beat. And when below you found beautiful joinery, I melted. Swan became my dream boat.

We are now searching for a boat. Our search started with well-built older boats that were of a more contemporary design. Much of the ideals that girl long ago dreamed of have been replaced with more common sense ideals. But I still want a double spreader rig. Maybe that's just a feeble attempt to hold on to my youth.

Our broker recently suggested we look at a Cabo Rico 38. We had been looking at Tartan, Sabre and Ericson. The Cabo certainly fulfills the beautiful woodwork element. But both of us kinda struggle with typical Cabo features like the wheel at the helm. It reminds us of pirate ships. We have on intentions of flying the Jolly Roger.

On the more practical side of things, we wonder about the cutter rig with its staysail and how that would work tacking with the genny up. Do you need to furl the sail in, tack, then unfurl it again? That would be a pain when out for a daysail. But there's an awful lot we like about the Cabo too.

There are other things we're on the fence about. I've heard many times, "When you walk away from your boat and look back on it, you have to love what you see." I'm just not sure I could fall in love with a classical design.
You know, my point, practical and visual attraction can come together, there is thousands of old designs out there as well new boats, if you fall in love with the old designs , well, you are done, welcome to the club, there is no way back hahaha, the cabo 38 is a well nice boat, staysails work well in upwind conditions in heavy winds, if you check well the cabo , he sport wide spreaders making tough to set the jib tight down and work well close to the wind, is not build for that, the staysail is like a small hero, to tack in light winds is not a problem , and you dont need to furl the jib, keep the leeward sheet in tension at the tack and release it when the sail clear the staysail, thats it, in strong breezes is up to you, furl or not, practique...

The cutter rig is a bonus in strong winds, 1 or 2 reef in the main and the staysail , well balanced, easy steering, perfect for me...

When you found your girl, be sure to get a good surveyor...
My father say to me long time agoo, take care of the boat and the boat take care of yourself , yeahh im a emotional romantic with boats , not just with my boat, any boat, at the age of 18 i be the captain of a 62 ft steel cutter named Angantyr, the owner offer me the position i guess because i feel in love with that boat.... who know? Good luck with the search , enjoy whatever you buy it .....
Old 05-07-2013, 22:29   #21
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
Has anyone here found themselves struggling with visual attraction vs practical application when searching for a boat?
Never thought of it as a struggle of ‘form following function’ but a personification of what my ideal yacht should look like

In the end, the choice is always a compromise based on the details you discover when you take a closer look.
Old 05-07-2013, 22:45   #22

In a much smaller way, I'm up against this issue. I'm hot at the moment for the C&C Redwing, or the Columbia 29 S&S Mk II. My pals think I should bite the bullet and get a Cat 30. Roomy! and modern and diesel. I never wanted a Miss Clorox but ...

My fall back is a Cape Dory 28. I don't take that many showers anyway.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:24   #23

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, Julie. Here's a very cared for Mason 53 available in a nice little safe haven down in the South Pacific. She always the most beautiful boat in the bay ;-) Send me a PM if you want to discuss further. All the best. Cheers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ariel.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	63658
Old 06-07-2013, 05:50   #24

Boat: Tartan 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
In a much smaller way, I'm up against this issue. I'm hot at the moment for the C&C Redwing, or the Columbia 29 S&S Mk II. My pals think I should bite the bullet and get a Cat 30. Roomy! and modern and diesel. I never wanted a Miss Clorox but ...

My fall back is a Cape Dory 28. I don't take that many showers anyway.
Resist the temptation of clorox.... There is nothing as pretty as a well cared for S&S design, except maybe a Crealock design. They may not sail as fast as a new boat, but then again they are sailboats.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael ---- NEW website! www.USCGMaster.com
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:02   #25

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
One word: ketch!
Old 06-07-2013, 06:31   #26

Boat: 2004 Lagoon 410S2

I know exactly what your talking about perchance . When we were looking at upgrading I had it in my mind the type of boat that fitted our budget but all the boats we looked at were poorly maintained or the seller was wearing rose coloured glasses and thought they were selling a new boat and not a twenty plus year old boat.
We were looking at an old Westerly Centre Cockpit one day which looked very good from a distance and as we got closer you could just see it had not been maintained and needed a substantial make over.
We only staying on the boat to be polite when the wife noticed the yacht on the mooring directly behind the Westerly for sale. It was a Cheiftain 38. Initially I was not taken with the design but my wife was really over the moon with the exterior look of the boat. The interior was spotless and well maintained. The boat was well within our budget but we went in with eyes wide open knowing there was work to bring her up to spec. Now nearly 6 years later she is the pride of my life (other than the family ) I have come to love the look of our boat and we even commissioned a painting of her racing which sits above the computer in the study. For a 30 year old boat, she comfortable, no slouch and we own her and she loves a rough see and a good windy day.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:47   #27
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Mark, I won't tell anyone but I heard you have no soul. True?

Absolutely true. But then I have sailed much further, and cruised for much longer than the rest of you on this thread combined.... OK lets take Boatman out of that equation... oh, and Barni too... Bob and Connie are just children ... and Pelagic has done a bit.... but apart from them....

I think 'soul' is a total rip off and one should go for comfort below, simplicity above and modernity in all.

And I will PM the OP with my unfetted thoughts on a certain boat type she is looking at!

Now wheres my rubber dukkie? Its the only non-plastic thing on my boat.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:56   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
... I think 'soul' is a total rip off and one should go for comfort below, simplicity above and modernity in all. Mark
Yes, but this Catalina 30:

Or this Redwing:

Old 06-07-2013, 10:24   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Yookie, uncomfortable, varnished wood cockpit coamings .....

To me no wood on the outside PLS! If any, then at least PLS keep it bare! Varnished wood outside is so corny.

OK, our grabrails, deck center plank and rubbing planks are wood, varnished ....

;-)))

b.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:48   #30

I hear ya b. I really have already hada lifetime of varnishing. Plus the Redwing is older and smaller in every other way. A4, the works.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: