Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 09:23   #1

Boat: Skookum 53'
Container Ship and Saliboats

Nightmare Navigation - Containership Outbound Through Pack of Sailboats - gCaptain

Just a little insight for people to understand what it looks like from the bridge of the ship, maybe shed some light as to the challenges aboard larger vessels when encountering small sailing vessels.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:47   #2

Boat: Shopping
Re: Container Ship and Saliboats

Wow.

Enlightening.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:53   #3

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Plus they are probably not well manned enough to keep a watch on the bow, just in case some one tries sailing in front of that crane.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:59   #4

Boat: Shopping

Probably wouldn't matter. I don't suppose those ships stop/turn very quickly.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:04   #5

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

I'm well aware that it is the responsibility of us little guys to stay out of the way of large vessels, but -- as an engineer -- it would seem to me in these days of "drive by wire" control systems to be a relatively simple matter to equip new ships with an alternate helm station in the bow specifically for entering and leaving harbors.

The cost would likely be offset by savings on litigation with the idiots who get themselves run down and survive to sue.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:06   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good to see.

It shocked me to see how many boats crossed so close. I can see why a pilot of a large vessel would lay on the horn.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Good to see.

It shocked me to see how many boats crossed so close. I can see why a pilot of a large vessel would lay on the horn.
I think I saw three sail boats cross the ship bow from port to starboard and one from starboard to port. Its hard to tell since the sails disappear behind the containers and bow. Even with the time lapse photography "speeding" up the video, those sail boats had nuts at the helm.

No way for that ship to stop even if they saw the boats stopped in their path.

If one of the port side boats had missed a tack, it would have been ugly...

When I was 3-4, I remember being on a power boat in the St. Johns river and seeing two other power boats swerve in front of a barge under tow. The tow and boats were running down river, but the boats came very close to the bow of the barge and there was no way for the tug captain to see those boats at that point. I guess it did not really mater since if the power boats had lost power there was nothing the tug captain could have done. I remember thinking the people on the power boats were stupid.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:22   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Kind of scary to watch the video however the pilot of the cargo vessel knew he would be going thru the race area he knew when it would start and when it was expected to end weekly events are listed in the annual ntm and specials are listed in the weekly lnm San Diego is part of district eleven I get them here for district 13. The vessel is required to have at a minimum an electronic copy on board
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:51   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Container Ship and Saliboats

Irrelevant.. if sailboat s are crossing a channel used by commercial shipping constrained by draught they are obliged to give way..
Or do you expect them to anchor offshore and wait for the kids to finish playing

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:59   #10

boatman's right. Here on SF Bay the local PICA instituted rules for ALL racing - don't get in the ey of the big guys. Ever.

What is so hard?

I know, I know, ya can't legislate stupid, but once one of those racing skippers got DNF'd the word got out.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 13:13   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Irrelevant.. if sailboat s are crossing a channel used by commercial shipping constrained by draught they are obliged to give way..
Or do you expect them to anchor offshore and wait for the kids to finish playing
That's not what I meant and you know it as a ticket carrier yourself I meant to point out they were aware of idiots in the area therefore should have and likely did have extra watchstanders on the bow area in radio contact with the bridge to minimise the likely hood of an unfortunate incident. But you are correct. DQ a few of the idiots and I'm sure the situation will improve for real sailors. Trying to make a living.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 13:16   #12

Boat: Mahogany Centerborder 30 foot, 1937

I live on the River Elbe close to Hamburg, Germanys biggest port. Commercial traffic here is hefty, on occasion there is a steady parade of huge vessels up to 360+ m long. Many of my Neighbours are or were commercial captains, so I asked them about the manouverability oft such ships. I've been told that they need up to 2nm to stop and will continue in their course up to 2 Minuten after laying rudder. Basically in the very narrow shipping channels here there is absolutely nothing they can do to avoid a collision with a small boat.
They may not have the right of way, but thay definitely have the "right of weight".

Sent from my Lenovo B8080-H using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
woodenboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 13:20   #13

While I agree that in places like that small boats need to just stay clear, My feelings are that bridge attendant cannot see well enough based on the cargo location or design.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 13:40   #14

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Just a little insight for people to understand what it looks like from the bridge of the ship, maybe shed some light as to the challenges aboard larger vessels when encountering small sailing vessels.
I spend a week on a freighter last summer. It was quite enlightening. At full see the skipper would look out for yachts, and if needed change course. But entering a narrow harbour he would stay on his track and rely on the small boats stay out of his way, as they are legally required to.
He would blow his horn, and announce his position on VHF at regular intervals as he was coming around the turns of the river up to Waterford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukeluthier View Post
I'm well aware that it is the responsibility of us little guys to stay out of the way of large vessels, but -- as an engineer -- it would seem to me in these days of "drive by wire" control systems to be a relatively simple matter to equip new ships with an alternate helm station in the bow specifically for entering and leaving harbors.

The cost would likely be offset by savings on litigation with the idiots who get themselves run down and survive to sue.
The only thing that would bring is that the skipper would know sooner if he ran over a yacht.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 14:52   #15

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

We came back into San Diego bay Saturday afternoon when a huge car carrier was headed out. They had a pilot tug out in front of ship keeping an eye on all the boats (it was the end of the day rush hour traffic as everyone came back in to dock).