Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2015, 08:31   #151

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Container Ship and Saliboats

No he has teen girls that are starting to go out with boyz.
Old 25-06-2015, 09:12   #152
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

That's even worse
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 14:26   #153

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

I've got one of each but they aren't quite there yet.
Old 25-06-2015, 17:06   #154

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

[QUOTE=BigBoater917;1855324]
10 yards isn't nearly enough for any commercial vessel. I understand close quarters will occur in racing but there's absolutely no reason to get that close, at that distance you've already caused a lot of worry.
[QUOTE]
I agree that 10 yards is too close if it's off the bow or on a collision course from either of the forward quarters. But if you're going west and not towing, and I am going north or south, sailing up to within 10 yards of your stern isn't going to cause a problem, and shouldn't cause you any worry.

One day about 35 years ago I was sailing east under the Golden Gate Bridge. The breeze was light and I was going about 3 knots in a Catalina 22, just lolling around in the sun. I should have been watching my stern more carefully, but I wasn't. I was laying down in the cockpit and watching to the side and over the stern every few minutes, like 3. But my head was not high and it wasn't very far until my line of sight was very high off the water. About due north of Anita Rock I noticed a grey wall about 15 yards to my portand when I looked up I could see a few sailors looking down at me. As the ship got beam to beam with me it was only about 5 yards away. I braced for an expected prop wash, but there was none. No noise either, not even a horn. Since it was obvious that his crew saw me and I did not get 5 horn blasts I guess that the skipper of the freighter was sure that he would clear me.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 00:17   #155

Boat: Ker 33 IRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofsmit View Post
You can tell its a cruisers forum
i think you might find that most racers would make most cruisers look silly when it come to colregs, if you have ever attended a protest hearing you will find most decent helms are more like barrister when it comes to deciphering the rules.
Yep it maybe boys/ girls playing games in you eyes but I didn't see a collision and would suggest more cruisers hit stationary objects like a safe water mark in a 4 knot tidal stream! Than racers hitting a commercial vessel
I have seen more cruiser near misses who haven't a clue what to do when entering a port with limited space during a race.
Those that race in close quarters just look at these big boys as another fleet of racers on a starboard tack, the advantage is that they know they are going to stay on course and maintain there speed ( they have no option!) I would suggest they know the risk but push the boundary of the rules and know very well the consequences

Just balancing the discussion

Sent from my iPad.......i apologise for the auto corrects !!!
this is soooo true i've raced since i started sailing and yes we do take risks and pinch a bit more than we prolly should but the risks are calculated. when meeting a large vessel we know its not going to move and that it will carry on on the course it is already on and thats an advantage. i come across many cruisers that go through a race course and they see boats liek mine on both tacks and get confused and instead of keeping their course they change it to the opposite of whats coming at them. every cruiser should just hold its course going through a track cos once we recognise that then there won't be a problem.
ruby tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 00:22   #156

here's a really interesting problem for you all

the racetrack that we use most often has 6 passenger/vehicle transport ferries, numerous cargo vessels, Royal Navy warships, Royal Navy submarines and three windfarms in plus a tidal race that averages 9knots. Try getting safe when there's no wind and the tides running.

it's all good fun at least it was before they started putting windfarms everywhere and creating bucket loads of hazards. the northwest coast of england looks like a mess to be honest. the wind turbines also interfere with comms signals too.

the only real saving grace has been the compulsary introduction of AIS
Old 27-06-2015, 09:11   #157

Ruby
I think we are on the wrong forum !

Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 12:08   #158

i apologise for that slip but sometimes things just get to me

like what we have to contend with here - that last bit will be coming to a really beautiful anchorage near you soon
Old 27-06-2015, 12:28   #159

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby tuesday View Post
i apologise for that slip but sometimes things just get to me

like what we have to contend with here - that last bit will be coming to a really beautiful anchorage near you soon
Your on the right one. Less drift than most threads. I've heard that before that it is a nightmare. I guess sailors elsewhere can count their blessings.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 14:43   #160

What size craft is required to operate AIS ? ( I presume you are near the Dee or Mersey?)

Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 00:26   #161

I'm based in Holyhead cos of the depth of water at low tide and I race with Liverpool Yacht Club in Liverpool Bay and then at the end of racing I go back.

the windfarms are - liverpool bay = 2 of -- Dee Estuary = 1 of -- PLUS Prestatyn Sands = 1 proposed and Rhyl Sands = 1 proposed plus there's an application already submitted Bay windfarm that would take it further north and west of it current boundaries - even the ferry companies are getting pretty hacked off with it all

the AIS system - dont think that there's a limit on how big or small your boat has to be the boats that i race and cruise with are all 28ft and above and the majority are around 34ft.

the AIS system was brought in cos of the increased dangers that are now present - the Dee Estuary channel and the Mersey channel are extremely tight at low water especially with cargo ships around and then they built the windfarm and basically shoehorned everyone into the main channel no idea whose bright idea it was but hell - it's like the coastguard being run from northern ireland and yet covers liverpool bay so if there's an accident then the coastguard can't see it - again who thought that would be a good idea only the Lord knows