Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2015, 10:25   #46

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: Confessions of a Cockpit Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
Oh--sorry also for continuing the highjack but I hope people might think it OK. Thanks for your good words about our own rebuild and sailing. We love her, appreciated the opportunity to bring back a historic vessel like her, and loved the experience of doing the rebuild ourselves. We really appreciate some of what Tom, the owner with the big family on her, went through during his ownership. He wasn't long on money but yet he saved and bought a treasure-trove of good things to install on the boat. His intentions there were good both for his family and the boat and we can only imagine the situation that brought him to sell us the boat and hand over his treasure-trove of goodies to install on her.

We didn't initially think much of those storage lockers stuffed full of things until we realized that he'd literally bought most of the things that we though she needed. He had all the right ideas and planned to put the boat to rights himself. Time and again, I'd research a project and find the very parts I was about to spend money on were sitting, new, in a box in Tom's lockers gathering dust. We thought of Tom many times as we did a project and installed an important bit of kit. We also re-did many of his own repairs that we felt weren't quite in keeping with the pre-WWII vessel she is.

We hope that every one of the sailors here find a good way to balance the use of their own boat with the maintenance that must be done while using it. If one is maintaining a classic wood boat, as we do, we're even more empathetic to your situation and hope that things line up well for you to continue your efforts to keep a classic sailing, too. It must be enjoyable--or why go about doing these things, right? Fair winds.
They were a very nice family. We enjoyed knowing them, and their kids were good playmates for our daughter. They taught her the ins and outs of being a "boat kid." We saw them working on the boat a lot....including the kids. It seems like there was always a project going on, but the boat never moved away from the dock in all the time we were there. It's great for you that you were able to benefit from all of Tom's hopes and dreams. Mostly it's great for the Mahdee. I hope that he and his family are realizing new dreams now. And I hope that the Mahdee sails on for another 80 years.
Old 27-06-2015, 11:47   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I seek comfort, low risk, low cost, excellent weather, easy days and peaceful anchorages or marinas before sundown. Yes, we are "cockpit potatos" and we have been for 43 years and well over 100 thousand cruising miles on inexpensive boats without any distant destinations.

We're going to make about 30 miles tomorrow to some shrimp docks north of Charleston, South Carolina. I'd push for 50 miles, but there are afternoon thuderstoms predicted.

If we decide to anchor out instead; then, will run the generator and make some popcorn.

I respect all the varieties of cruisers, but let me confess, from Maine to the Bahamas,- we are cockpit potatos!

So, I keep reading of those that aspire for more and I am so satisfied with less. I'll be here for all you slackers that need a mentor for low stress cruising without a comittment to a destination. Send me the gunkholers and those that seek less!
More power to you, Hudson!

But there's a good measure of "cockpit potato" in every cruiser, methinks, even us "crash & bash" types. You can only "crash & bash" for so long, whereupon we revert to the natural state of cruisers, which is cockpit potatohood.

Together with all the joys you describe goes sailing slowly downwind, barely making steerage, in light wind, not in a hurry to get anywhere at all. Who but the most perverted racer doesn't love this?

Cockpit potatohood also exists offshore, however. We were sailing from Gotland to Estonia last month, which should have taken about 24 hours, arriving in the morning. Night watch was glorious -- dusk blending smoothly into dawn without any real darkness. But the wind was so light that we were nowhere near Estonia by morning. It was tempting to fire up the donk but -- why? In such calm weather (unlike bashing upwind), life on board is perfectly happy -- how much better would it be in port? So we made pancakes and pigged out in the sunshine, drank coffee, listened to music, lay around, slept, and arrived in the evening. Ah, cockpit potatohood!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 00:47   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Dockhead is right We once spent three days drifting in light winds from San Diego to Ensenada. Us and another couple, kicking back enjoying the sea life, whale watching and being cockpit potatoes. We've also spent a day here and a day there drifting at sea wondering when we'll have some wind to do something with. It's all good. Hudson Force demonstrates what many have yet to learn: where ever you go, there you are.
Old 28-06-2015, 01:19   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Went onboard this morning at 6 am. Did some 12-volt wire replacement and tightening. refitted a panel. It looks like it grew there now, the job is wonderful. Drank the coffee I made. Then it was 7:15 am. Laid on the settee/berth and looked out the hatch enjoying the comfort.

Then it was 9 am.

Going to the cafe across the dock. I believe in supporting local business.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 01:58   #50

Boat: Ker 33 IRC

this is the dream just take off explore - who cares where you go and how long you've been gone -- time is irrelevant.

you're all painting such beautiful pictures and yup i've had dreams of long lazy days where "who cares" reigns supreme and then i get a reality check in the form of having to go back to work

i think that i'd be after changing my boat for a start - not that i dont like Ruby Tuesday (she's got a red hull and was bought in an "inspired" moment on a tuesday). think that i would want at least some mods cons like a sprayhood, dodgers and a washing machine !!!! forget the tv not had one since i left home 20 odd years ago - and an invertor would be nice

dunno if i could do it knowing that if anything breaks thats it game over. i do "short" passages of around a week and i like the fact she goes hell for leather everywhere but its gets boring after a bit and the amount effort required just gets too much and i'd be wanting to sit back on the rail and chill out whilst the auto pilot takes the strain. maybe go somewhere where there's enough water at low tide to justify slinging a hook -- which is my other problem a lot of places i can't go near cos of draft problems at low tide - when you need 9ft of water just so she doesn't scrape bottom then choices of places to go become limited and i've passed a lot of anchorages and just carried on cos of this problem.

for me though sailing / boating whatever you want to call it - its not about getting somewhere - it's about enjoying where you are
ruby tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 03:42   #51

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Really enjoy this thread. We too are right at home here, as this describes our mindset totally. Now full timers for the last six months and slowly inching south and east along the north coast of the Gulf of Mexico.

Many have asked where are you headed and how long will it take? We just respond by saying we have no hard fast plan and no schedule what so ever.

Thank you Hudson. We usually jump around from thread to thread but have read yours cover to cover and come back each day for more.
LEOCAT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 04:18   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It rained hard this morning.
Think I might just make another coffee and watch a video from a friend in Spain....
Or I might drive to a Pub I know for lunch in an hour or two..... Just being on the boat is relaxing......
Old 28-06-2015, 04:33   #53

Would the fact that I left the main 2nd reef in for three weeks make me a cockpit potato.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 04:34   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Would the fact that I left the main 2nd reef in for three weeks make me a cockpit potato.
Getting there... your at "French Fry" level...........
Old 28-06-2015, 05:01   #55

last nite the main never came out of the bag cos i just couldnt be fussed it was a scooper up and that was it and she sailed pretty damn good considering too

dog actually prefered it that way prolly cos there was even less clutter with the mainsheet track taken out and the mainsheet clipped to the rail.

thinking that there's far more to this cruising lifestyle than i originally thought
Old 28-06-2015, 05:26   #56
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
depends, if the wind was blowing that hard that you were reefed for 3 weeks and you were still sailing I think in means you are something else, but definitely not a cockpit potato
Old 28-06-2015, 05:35   #57

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
Dockhead is right We once spent three days drifting in light winds from San Diego to Ensenada. Us and another couple, kicking back enjoying the sea life, whale watching and being cockpit potatoes. We've also spent a day here and a day there drifting at sea wondering when we'll have some wind to do something with. It's all good. Hudson Force demonstrates what many have yet to learn: where ever you go, there you are.
Well I dunno. I went there yesterday but when I woke up this morning I found myself here.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 07:44   #58

i didnt really go anywhere tbph about 1/2 mile in total

and then came back and came home - wishing that i'd stayed put --- one day i will and that will be it for me

i've already started making enquiries into a slightly bigger and better fitout boat - maybe Ruby Tuesday will get part ex'd and then i can become at one with the sea properly

i also find that i see and hear far more when i'm swinging on a hook than i ever did in a marina - maybe too much external noise in the marina. the sunsets and sunrises get blocked by other peoples boats and the skies true intentions can be totally blocked out sometimes.

also to get proper true fresh salty air through your gills you gotta swing on a hook - in a remote and quiet spot then just sit back and watch nature come to you like the sealions in the Dee Estuary that like to haul themselves out into the cockpit and then refuse to move when you tell them - so you find yourself talking to them

I must be going nuts
Old 28-06-2015, 09:10   #59

We are coming out of the closet! We are cockpit potatoes, too!

We are about to head down to the Bahamas again (from Mississippi) in a couple of months. People constantly ask, "How long will it take you to get there?"

My answer is always, "Well, last time, we left here in August and got there in November."

And, then they ask, "How far away are the Bahamas? You can't make it there quicker than that?"

And, I always say, "Oh, yeah. We can make it in about five days if we want to take all of the fun out of it."
Old 28-06-2015, 09:22   #60

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
...And, then they ask, "How far away are the Bahamas? You can't make it there quicker than that?"

And, I always say, "Oh, yeah. We can make it in about five days if we want to take all of the fun out of it."
Why go fast, when you can go slow.

Tags
cockpit