Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 19:18   #31
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Confessions of a Cockpit Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
@ Hudson,

You lift your lamp beside the golden door.

The important part is bringing your happiness with you.

Ann

Well said!

I really agree that there can be many variations on cruising styles and goals, with some that may be under appreciated by some sailors. There are many types of boats, because there are many types of sailors. Vive la difference!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 21:30   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Are you on the Schooner Mahdee??
Yup. Do we know you?
Old 05-06-2015, 08:33   #33

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
Yup. Do we know you?
I have written to you before some time back. In 1985 we lived aboard a boat at the Naval Amphibious Base Marina in San Diego. the Mahdee was our neighbor. We called the owners Mahdee and Pahdee and my daughter played with their (many) children. They were an interesting family. When I saw that you had bought and refit the Mahdee I was thrilled. She is a boat that deserved the meticulous care and new life you have given her and I love seeing the pictures of her out doing what she was meant to be doing. You have done an amazing job with the refit. When we knew her she only sat at the dock and served as a floating dorm.

Sorry for highjacking the thread.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:03   #34

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
I have written to you before some time back. In 1985 we lived aboard a boat at the Naval Amphibious Base Marina in San Diego. the Mahdee was our neighbor. We called the owners Mahdee and Pahdee and my daughter played with their (many) children. They were an interesting family. When I saw that you had bought and refit the Mahdee I was thrilled. She is a boat that deserved the meticulous care and new life you have given her and I love seeing the pictures of her out doing what she was meant to be doing. You have done an amazing job with the refit. When we knew her she only sat at the dock and served as a floating dorm.

Actually, I find that to be a rather interesting "cockpit potato" story.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:52   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We were up the headwaters of the blackwater cypress swamp of the Waccamaw anchored in an oxbow off the ICW route before finding free wifi access to post. Dark swamps are a gunkholer's paradise,- owls hooting as you fall to sleep and, during this season, the bull gators bellowing in the pre-dawn.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:25   #36

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I have heard the bull gators while at anchor on the Caloosahachee River under a full moon. Very surreal.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-06-2015, 12:44   #37

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

This really is the best thread I've ever seen around here. Simply wonderful!

When I was knee-high to the navel of a mole, I really was a "go fast" person. But who isn't in their teens and 20s. I raced 470s and even raced a Santana 21 with my hubby. Now, at this stage in life, I have wised up and realized there is so much more to see when the pace is a bit slower (and more comfy).

We pretty much drift around on our IP32 and really enjoy the different scenery and meeting interesting folks. I'm definitely a cockpit potato.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 18:20   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
If it weren't for the water turning hard for 6-months of the year, we would never leave Lake Superior. There's many lifetime's worth of exploration to be had up here.

As we were sailing south through the lower Great Lakes last season, and increasingly ran into more and more urban bleck, my partner and I continually kept asking each other; "Remind me. Why are we leaving Lake Superior?"

Pics: Beautiful anchorages (#1, #2). What we do when fog-bound (#3). Me having a typical tough day (#4). Gotta love iPad books!
Started sailing many years ago on Lake of the Woods and it is a vast area that would take for ever to explore but you can only sail about 20 weekends/weeks a year. Swimming is good for maybe 2-3 months a year but I have the fondest memories of that place, there is something very nice about fresh water sailing (stuff doesn't rust) so I know where you are coming from but I suspect if you do get out the back door it will be hard to get you back. It is a very cool world we live in and if one has the time and money to explore on a larger scale it really is infectious. That pretty boat of years would be perfect for a getaway.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 18:42   #39

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
@ Hudson,

You lift your lamp beside the golden door.

The important part is bringing your happiness with you.

Ann
I don't think Confucius ever said that but he probably wishes he did.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 18:49   #40

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Started sailing many years ago on Lake of the Woods and it is a vast area that would take for ever to explore but you can only sail about 20 weekends/weeks a year. Swimming is good for maybe 2-3 months a year but I have the fondest memories of that place, there is something very nice about fresh water sailing (stuff doesn't rust) so I know where you are coming from but I suspect if you do get out the back door it will be hard to get you back. It is a very cool world we live in and if one has the time and money to explore on a larger scale it really is infectious. That pretty boat of years would be perfect for a getaway.
Thanks Robert. The mighty Lakes (of which Lake of the Woods can be considered one) are amazing. But my spouse and I are going away from them; slowly, but we are going. It was odd leaving Lake Superior last season. We both knew/know that we may never come back ... but who knows where life will lead.

There is a world of wonder, and things to learn and explore everywhere. I look forward to seeing what's around the next bend.
Old 11-06-2015, 19:26   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
It's far more important to be able to enjoy where you are, than hope to enjoy your future!
I am about to buy my first boat. In reading and researching, I have come to that same conclusion, no matter where I go, someone wants to go where I came from.

Exotic simply means someplace I want to go, but I haven't been yet.

I lived in Puebla Mexico for 5 years and, while Puebla itself was exotic at first, after awhile we traveled to some other "exotic" location once a month. Oaxaca, Jalapa, Veracruz, Cuernavaca, Puerto Angel, Taxco, and a hundred other locations near and far.

The point really was simply to experience the beautiful churches, pyramids, and xocalos. Eat chocolate in Oaxaca or baked grasshoppers (chocolate covered anyone?), sopa de tortilla in the ristorantes lining the xocalo. Visit the artisinias making tapestries, black clay pottery or alebrijes - carved and colorfully painted animal figures. Silver from Taxco. Gold filigree plates from Michoacan. Visit the southern end of the monarch butterfly migration. Pay mordida to la polizia in Guadalajara because of some supposed infraction.

We decorated our home with local art, worth nothing to a museum but priceless as memories of the wonders to be seen in the world. And of course to meet the warm and wonderful people.

And so, with my boat, I expect to have new opportunities to experience exotic places I have never been, and meet warm and wonderful people in new (to me) places.

To me, a boat is an home I can sail to a new exotic location whenever I so desire, to stay as long as I wish, and move on whenever I am ready.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:57   #42

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Good patience and planning Hud.
We are wannabe cockpit potato sailors. Love the marina life and people but;
In the short time we've pretended to be sailors we've been somehow caught up in two transTasman crossings, 1st in our own boat missed the best weather and got force 9 winds and second in someones elses was impulse and we ended up in a force 10 blow!
Great experiences but we are still all in favour of force 3 & 4.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 13:11   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

We left Oriental, North Carolina this morning at dawn.....

There's much good to be said for a little port like Oriental . We noticed this dog laying in the middle of the main road at the docks without being disturbed.

I like a town where you can rest in the road without risk,- 'sort of like cockpit potato cruising!
Old 26-06-2015, 23:01   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:

Oh--sorry also for continuing the highjack but I hope people might think it OK. Thanks for your good words about our own rebuild and sailing. We love her, appreciated the opportunity to bring back a historic vessel like her, and loved the experience of doing the rebuild ourselves. We really appreciate some of what Tom, the owner with the big family on her, went through during his ownership. He wasn't long on money but yet he saved and bought a treasure-trove of good things to install on the boat. His intentions there were good both for his family and the boat and we can only imagine the situation that brought him to sell us the boat and hand over his treasure-trove of goodies to install on her.

We didn't initially think much of those storage lockers stuffed full of things until we realized that he'd literally bought most of the things that we though she needed. He had all the right ideas and planned to put the boat to rights himself. Time and again, I'd research a project and find the very parts I was about to spend money on were sitting, new, in a box in Tom's lockers gathering dust. We thought of Tom many times as we did a project and installed an important bit of kit. We also re-did many of his own repairs that we felt weren't quite in keeping with the pre-WWII vessel she is.

We hope that every one of the sailors here find a good way to balance the use of their own boat with the maintenance that must be done while using it. If one is maintaining a classic wood boat, as we do, we're even more empathetic to your situation and hope that things line up well for you to continue your efforts to keep a classic sailing, too. It must be enjoyable--or why go about doing these things, right? Fair winds.
Old 27-06-2015, 04:41   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
Oh--sorry also for continuing the highjack but I hope people might think it OK. ............
................ Fair winds.
Personally, I like an occasional diversion in a conversation and never think of insertions such as this as "hijacking".

Tags
cockpit