Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2015, 14:35   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Confessions of a Cockpit Potato

"I appreciate those who are driven to make the big passages in record time, to test themselves and their boats against Nature, to visit all the wonderful places and people, and to sail around the world. To me, there is wonder and adventure everywhere. I have no need to go anywhere in particular.

I like being a cockpit potato "--Mike O'Reilly

This resounds with me, in both directions.

Having at first bought this boat for a bunch of different reasons, but one of which was that it should be "fast", we set off, full of determination to see "wot'll she do?"

A good tradewind passage, drove the boat pretty hard. Did noon to noon 200 mi. .......And then we we put a reef in and got comfortable! We haven't driven the boat that hard, since, and are unlikely to.

Ann
Old 03-06-2015, 14:40   #17
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Is a cockpit potato on a boat like a couch potato in a house?
Old 03-06-2015, 14:50   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
"I appreciate those who are driven to make the big passages in record time, to test themselves and their boats against Nature, to visit all the wonderful places and people, and to sail around the world. To me, there is wonder and adventure everywhere. I have no need to go anywhere in particular.

I like being a cockpit potato "--Mike O'Reilly

This resounds with me, in both directions.

Having at first bought this boat for a bunch of different reasons, but one of which was that it should be "fast", we set off, full of determination to see "wot'll she do?"

A good tradewind passage, drove the boat pretty hard. Did noon to noon 200 mi. .......And then we we put a reef in and got comfortable! We haven't driven the boat that hard, since, and are unlikely to.

Ann
Im currently using a Trimaran 28 footer. The strange thing is that its set up to go fast. 12 knots in 15 of wind, lots of room and I like it......... I think. Its a bit like a car set up for speed, harder suspension, noisier and precision gearing, good tyres and like Sh*t off a shovel.

Comfortable? kinda...... restful? I havent been on for long enough to answer that..... Long distance cruiser? I dont know.

Im trying desperately to think of a reason to get where Im going as fast as I am doing apart from the thrill of speed, which in fairness diminished the more I took it for granted.

When I get to where Im going, I tend to be jittery for a bit, like exiting a motorway.

I still like the real estate that comes with a Cat, 2 useable hulls and a saloon.

Trade off thinking coming up.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 18:11   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Im currently using a Trimaran 28 footer. The strange thing is that its set up to go fast. 12 knots in 15 of wind, lots of room and I like it......... I think. Its a bit like a car set up for speed, harder suspension, noisier and precision gearing, good tyres and like Sh*t off a shovel.

Comfortable? kinda...... restful? I havent been on for long enough to answer that..... Long distance cruiser? I dont know.

Im trying desperately to think of a reason to get where Im going as fast as I am doing apart from the thrill of speed, which in fairness diminished the more I took it for granted.

When I get to where Im going, I tend to be jittery for a bit, like exiting a motorway.

I still like the real estate that comes with a Cat, 2 useable hulls and a saloon.

Trade off thinking coming up.
weavis:http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ilies/wink.gif

A lot of the time, fast IS fun. But in terms of your trade off thinking, remember what you like to post: that it is really where and how you want to use a boat that would determine what you buy.

Or, try explaining to me just why it is that you've changed from from your catamaran desire.... 'twill clarify your thinking.

Is there some particular reason why you can't have both enjoyable speed and a comfortable pied al mar?

Ann
Old 04-06-2015, 00:31   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
weavis:http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ilies/wink.gif

A lot of the time, fast IS fun. But in terms of your trade off thinking, remember what you like to post: that it is really where and how you want to use a boat that would determine what you buy.

Or, try explaining to me just why it is that you've changed from from your catamaran desire.... 'twill clarify your thinking.

Is there some particular reason why you can't have both enjoyable speed and a comfortable pied al mar?

Ann
My dear Ann.

I have not changed my desire, it is eternal! A friend has gone overseas from the UK and left me in charge of his beloved steed. (It is a mono with 2 outriggers.) How he hates that description and whines to his wife bitterly over the mental picture i present. Lots of room below, heads, shower, double berth forward, large saloon, galley (ette), large cockpit........ 28 feet in length.

Today I woke knowing it will not do. It would have to be a Neel before the criteria is fulfilled. And that is not going to happen anytime soon.

So I will enjoy the sails on the steed, and be happy that another question has been answered and it was fun finding out.

This is a video from France of the wonderful Tony Smith designed Telstar 28, the same marque that Im minding. Yes the same Tony who designed the Gemini Catamaran. Its an amazing vessel. Both hulls pull in under the body of the Tri in seconds.
Attached Files
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 00:51   #21

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I've with you, Hudson. Nevertheless, I've suffered enough being exposed to the elements in a cockpit. Now happy in a pilothouse. My second son:

Old 04-06-2015, 01:54   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

I'm with redhead about slowing down -- we came out to the west coast to rebuild a boat and after we did the major work in San Diego we set about exploring the California coast and the Delta. Up and down we've been several trips enjoying ourselves very much. Last year we decided we'd sail up to Alaska to "see it before we leave the west coast" and after spending 4 months puttering around SE AK (can't call it gunkholing with the deep fjords and all...) we realized you could spend a lifetime anchoring, crabbing, prawning, and watching the bears & eagles in Alaska and never be bored. We sailed back down to some anchoring along the west side of Vancouver Island then briefly into Puget Sound to think about it and we only scratched the surface. So the month going north, 4 months in AK and month coming south changed our minds--we have to stay for a while longer to see more. We did make a quick sail back down to the California Delta for the fall and then spent the winter in California as well.

Now--we have no plans to leave the west coast for at least a couple years and at least a couple more trips up to Alaska and down to SoCal's channel islands and of course we've got to find time to visit BC between AK and WA since we sailed up outside Vancouver Island and pretty much skipped most of BC and WA both ways. There's so much to see -- so many anchorages and so much good sailing on this coast. We're amazed that more sailors don't just stick around and do as we're doing --wander up and down the coast enjoying it all.

We're also with Mark about the pilothouse. We have a charthouse -- that's a low pilothouse -- so we can sail through pretty much anything and that makes for a much more sane and relaxing trip. Big winds, big seas and cold? no problem when you're warm inside drinking your tea and petting the cat. Trip pics here.

David and the cat relaxing in the charhouse on a rainy day

Great scenes everywhere

Old 04-06-2015, 08:43   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We've docked at McClellanville, South Carolina for a couple days. Most of the creek here is filled with shrimp boats.

This is the walk to the local restaurant....

We'll be northbound again tomorrow for about 25 miles. This is "cockpit potato" cruising for us.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:25   #24

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Very good thread. Sure we went bashing and thrashing across the Pacific and would do it again in a heartbeat, and will if the stars align. But before we went the first time, we had several stupendous years just dinking around the San Juans, around Vancouver Island, south to south Puget Sound, etc. etc. Great times with many adventures, all close to home.

And we always knew how much we liked those days. So for the new boat, we intend to do it all over again. We look forward to dinking around locally, may be up to Alaska this time, and all places in between. Having a sailboat for us is a lifestyle (we both wish we could do it full time but can't quite yet) with just as much fun in the Inside Passage as offshore.

They are different but equal in our minds. Hudson - totally understand your unabashed enjoyment of your cruising as you described it! We would both die happy if that is "all" we ever got to do from now on.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:01   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

If it weren't for the water turning hard for 6-months of the year, we would never leave Lake Superior. There's many lifetime's worth of exploration to be had up here.

As we were sailing south through the lower Great Lakes last season, and increasingly ran into more and more urban bleck, my partner and I continually kept asking each other; "Remind me. Why are we leaving Lake Superior?"

Pics: Beautiful anchorages (#1, #2). What we do when fog-bound (#3). Me having a typical tough day (#4). Gotta love iPad books!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchorage.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	103202   Click image for larger version

Name:	beach.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	103203  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fog day.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	103204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tough day.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	103205  

Old 04-06-2015, 15:42   #26

Mike, you're leaving Lake Superior soon because there's a whole world of wonderful places and beauty out there....and LS will still be there when you're ready to return.

Nice pics.

Ann
Old 04-06-2015, 17:17   #27

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Mike, you're leaving Lake Superior soon because there's a whole world of wonderful places and beauty out there....and LS will still be there when you're ready to return.
Thanks Ann. Yes ... I suppose you're right. There is beauty and wonder out there. Besides, Lake Superior's waters turn rock hard for half the year. It's a bit tough to sail through ice. THAT's the real reason we're leaving; and a darn good one I'd say .
Old 04-06-2015, 18:17   #28

Boat: TBD

I'm bookmarking this as my favorite thread EVER. No whining or complaining. No boat-brand bashing. And the bonus is that I get some validation! I was beginning to think my plans, which mirror your life at the moment, were somehow less than adequate since I have no desire to be a blue water super duper adventurer. Give me a nice breeze, a decent view and a working ice maker - I'll be happy. Thanks for this thread.

Old 04-06-2015, 19:06   #29

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
I'm with redhead about slowing down -- we came out to the west coast to rebuild a boat and after we did the major work in San Diego we set about exploring the California coast and the Delta. Up and down we've been several trips enjoying ourselves very much. Last year we decided we'd sail up to Alaska to "see it before we leave the west coast" and after spending 4 months puttering around SE AK (can't call it gunkholing with the deep fjords and all...) we realized you could spend a lifetime anchoring, crabbing, prawning, and watching the bears & eagles in Alaska and never be bored. We sailed back down to some anchoring along the west side of Vancouver Island then briefly into Puget Sound to think about it and we only scratched the surface. So the month going north, 4 months in AK and month coming south changed our minds--we have to stay for a while longer to see more. We did make a quick sail back down to the California Delta for the fall and then spent the winter in California as well.

Now--we have no plans to leave the west coast for at least a couple years and at least a couple more trips up to Alaska and down to SoCal's channel islands and of course we've got to find time to visit BC between AK and WA since we sailed up outside Vancouver Island and pretty much skipped most of BC and WA both ways. There's so much to see -- so many anchorages and so much good sailing on this coast. We're amazed that more sailors don't just stick around and do as we're doing --wander up and down the coast enjoying it all.

We're also with Mark about the pilothouse. We have a charthouse -- that's a low pilothouse -- so we can sail through pretty much anything and that makes for a much more sane and relaxing trip. Big winds, big seas and cold? no problem when you're warm inside drinking your tea and petting the cat. Trip pics here.

David and the cat relaxing in the charhouse on a rainy day

Great scenes everywhere

Are you on the Schooner Mahdee??
Old 04-06-2015, 19:07   #30

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcStAug View Post
I'm bookmarking this as my favorite thread EVER. No whining or complaining. No boat-brand bashing. And the bonus is that I get some validation! I was beginning to think my plans, which mirror your life at the moment, were somehow less than adequate since I have no desire to be a blue water super duper adventurer. Give me a nice breeze, a decent view and a working ice maker - I'll be happy. Thanks for this thread.

I agree 1000%

Tags
cockpit