Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 07:15   #1

Boat: Mason 43
Conditions at Sandy Hook & NY Harbor

Does anyone know what the current condition is for Atlantic Highlands Muni Marina or other marinas in the NY area? The info on the net is very vague. I need to be up there from May through August and was wondering if they have recovered from Sandy, if there will be a shortage of mooring or dock space or maybe they lost so many boats that haven't been repaired or replaced yet that there won't be any problem. Currently live aboard in FL but need to be in NY for 3 months and prefer to take my home with me.
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:21   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Conditions at Sandy Hook & NY Harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackay View Post
Does anyone know what the current condition is for Atlantic Highlands Muni Marina or other marinas in the NY area? The info on the net is very vague. I need to be up there from May through August and was wondering if they have recovered from Sandy, if there will be a shortage of mooring or dock space or maybe they lost so many boats that haven't been repaired or replaced yet that there won't be any problem. Currently live aboard in FL but need to be in NY for 3 months and prefer to take my home with me.
Cape May NJ didnt take a big hit ,might be something there...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:37   #3

Thanks but I need to be up in Northern NJ, Atlantic Highlands says they will be ready by April but they haven't handed out any contracts yet. Seems awfully optimistic to me.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:48   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Liberty Landing seems to be in near full operation.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:19   #5

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

PM sent with pre Sandy phone #'s
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 13:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackay View Post
Funny you should ask as my buddy got the contract to rebuild the marina! That kind of explains why I don't post here...too busy working putting the marina back together!

Oh, back to your question...we had aspirations of it being ready for Spring, but there is this next storm coming tomorrow afternoon and Thursday. We'll see what damage it does and go from there. We've gotten the majority of it cleared out. Redredge job inside where all the floating docks were, then new dockage. Hope I get a day off. PM me and we'll meet up when you get up this way.
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 14:18   #7

Oh, and when I say 'dredge' it's for flotsam and jetsom that washed in from the Hook and off the land! LOTS of junk went into the drink and some is partially buried still. Did get all of the floating docks out last week. Lots of work to be done to be ready for Spring (!?!).

Before Sandy I pointed out the 'wreckage to ensue' to a friend I was helping get his 38fter sealed up. I noted to him that the place was going to get 'wash machined' and sure as heck it did! Most of the boats on the hard did not have their jackstands chained. I had my friend double his and even though all the boats around him fell, including one into his cockpit (!?!) his did not. The place looked like a giant dominoes game the day after Sandy. It took literally weeks to get the crane to re jackstand all of the boats that were in the yard. The unlucky ones that did not haul went Davey Jones in the marina. There was a nice 45ft powerboat standing on it's transom for a few weeks (at the end of the (ferry) dock past the bait shop.

PM me I might get a line on a slip for you nearby. Need to know size, beam, draft.
Old 05-03-2013, 14:32   #8

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Where exactly do you need to be near? Sandy Hook is not that close to NYC, $40 one way commute. My favorites in NYC are the World"s Fair Marina in Queens and the 79th St Marina, both run by the City. Good transportation from either. Will you have a car or cycle? Or do you need public trans?
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 15:28   #9

I have a 3 month project in NW NJ so Atlantic Highlands would be about an hour away. I have stayed there before. I am on a 43' sailboat with a 12' beam and 6'6" draft which sets some limitations in that area. With the tidal swings fixed docks can be difficult, I need a finger pier because the windvane blocks the stern. I have been spoiled with floating docks in FL. I will probably end up on a mooring.
Old 05-03-2013, 16:23   #10

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Might want to check out the Raritan River, lots of industrial shipping goes up there. You might find a cozy hole to tie to. Can't beat 79th St for access to NYC. If you can avoid driving two hours a day in Jersey, do it.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 16:34   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

Bakers Marina on the Bay
1 Marina Bay Ct.
Highlands, NJ 07732
Phone: 732-872-9300
Marina Manager's Phone: 732-291-0012

40 24' 24.00"N / 73 59' 19.00"W

This marina rec'd little damage during Sandy and is taking reservations for the summer. He has a "premium" side moored slip available for $145/ft. Call and leave message on the 732-872-9300 number. I winter my boat in that yard, nice people to deal with. PM if any questions or if you need pictures of the approach. Walk to high speed ferry to NYC from yard.
Chris
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 15:28   #12

I agree, driving/commuting North/South on the Garden State Pkwy (GSPWY) SUCKS in NJ! Unless you commute by 'car service' then it's doable because you're not the one driving. Taking the train NJ Transit North depends on how far 'North', because you'll have to change trains, which means tighter schedules.

Raritan Bay got HAMMERED and has tons of debris in there. I'd avoid boating there if possible this season.

Figure we're driving 1 piling per hour x hundreds, plus other work. Commercial dock gets the work first, then the Head Boats (fishing/daily/overnight)....THEN the 'retail docks' will be getting done. Floaters are being trucked up from Florida! That is AFTER they have been built down there....looking like June right now....

Overheard a few guys in the cockpit of their 45+ offshore fishing yacht swapping beers Saturday..."you guys hear that now they are telling us they (marina) are not giving any refunds on contracts for 2013?!!!(not family language!). " Well, what the heck do they expect us to do sit in the parking lot in our boats all Summer?!!" Another guy said. I yelled up to them, "How the heck do you expect them to even move the travel lift when they are 300 pilings at the launch?" You guys are high and dry until at least June" One of the guys says, "guess it's time to go buy a smaller boat and find an open launch ramp". I agree it's what it's going to come to for most this season I'm afraid.

Chris are you across from 'The Pickle'? The rack job place down the road from 'Windnsea'? I'm 07716, PM me if you need help unwinterizeing your boat. I thought maybe I could get him into the 'canal' down off 'Cheerful Lane', but his draft is too much for that place.
Old 12-03-2013, 17:38   #13

I need to make a trip up there the first week of April, I'll check things out then. If Raritan Bay is that bad and I am going to have that much trouble finding a place to keep the boat I might be better off leaving it in FL.
Old 12-03-2013, 18:54   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

I don't think the waters will be as bad as predicted. The state is currently cleaning the waters of debris, removing derelict piles/floats/downed tree branches, etc from the river and bay waters. The crews will be here for several months.

jmackay: Touch base during your April trip, I can introduce you to several yards who are open for business.

Clamdigger: Thanks for offer. I'm in good shape at the Marina on the Bay yard. Trying to get my standing rigging replaced and get boat back in water by June. I keep my boat at my dock in Highlands
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 02:31   #15

Boat: Catalina 30

Active Captain has up to date information.