Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2016, 14:16   #46
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: St Pete FL
Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Posts: 783
Re: Comparing diesel vrs electric propulsion(DIY/Production) in terms of resell value

Interesting how everyone on here against electric has yet to even go for a sail on a electric boat yet. Not to mention hope everyone on here without electric knows what the costs are without any experience using one.
Now I know how the wright Bros felt at kitty hawk.Great company I'm in.

By the way 10 to 20 miles or less by motor is NOT Sailing it is motor sailing.
__________________

__________________
Auto pilot is saying get up here and grab the tiller.
w1651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 14:26   #47
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,455
Images: 69
Re: Comparing diesel vrs electric propulsion(DIY/Production) in terms of resell value

I've been for a sail on a diesel/electric boat. Sailed just like any other boat. Motoring wasn't as quiet as some here suggest - The electric motors that boat was fitted with emitted a distinctive whine. And once the diesel genset started, it was no quieter than a diesel engine.


And for the cost, the thrust was just adequate. You'd certainly get a LOT more push per dollar from ICEs.
__________________

__________________
"You CANNOT be serious!"


John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 14:36   #48
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,461
Re: Comparing diesel vrs electric propulsion(DIY/Production) in terms of resell value

Quote:
Interesting how everyone on here against electric has yet to even go for a sail on a electric boat ye
Some folks can look at physics, do some mild calculations and reach valid conclusions on such subjects. And in a more general sense, I can determine that I don't want to try a wing suit without ever putting one on and jumping off of a cliff.

I can understand your enthusiasm for something that you like and feel comfortable with. Many of us with considerable cruising experience know that pure electric drive simply fails to supply what we need in the way of auxiliary power. We can also see that the hybrid alternative adds both cost and complexity to equal pure diesel power.

Snide remarks about real sailors not needing engines except for entering and leaving marinas fail to consider that many of us almost never go into marinas, almost never have access to shore power, and sometimes are forced to motor considerable distances. Purist ideals of anchoring and waiting for wind, or short tacking along narrow channels, often with heavy opposing traffic reflect lack of cruising experience. And before someone pipes up about the Pardeys not needing an engine, etc, they were in rather small vessels, more suited to maneuvering under sail in tight places than typical cruising boats, and they did indeed often accept tows from folks with engines.

Electric propulsion may be the wave of the future, but that wave has yet to reach shore and become useful to surfers!

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 15:01   #49
Registered User
 
Terra Nova's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, California
Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Posts: 3,651
Re: Comparing diesel vrs electric propulsion(DIY/Production) in terms of resell value

Jim--good post.
__________________
1st rule of yachting: When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
"whatever spare parts you bring, you'll never need"--goboatingnow
"Id rather drown than have computers take over my life."--d design
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 15:08   #50
Registered User
 
DumnMad's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nelson NZ; boat in Brisbane
Boat: 45ft Ketch
Posts: 1,247
Re: Comparing diesel vrs electric propulsion(DIY/Production) in terms of resell value

Electric is feasible for cruising on the OP's 27ft Bristol:
As long as the sailor has plenty of solar panels that can be stored away when the wind is blowing.(to clear the decks.)
The sailor is very knowledgeable about battery-electrics.
The sailor is excellent at weather forcasting.
The sailor is happy with long periods of drifting with no wind.
They are excellent at water and food rationing and managing their health under both stormy and becalmed conditions.
The boat is not required to enter restricted waters against the tide or wind.
Sees their voyages as scientific challenges rather than a leisurely pastime.

Somethwhat insane for a heavier vessel.
__________________
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 15:10   #51
Registered User
 
Jesse's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Oro Bay Puget Sound
Boat: Irwin sloop
Posts: 374
Re: Comparing diesel vrs electric propulsion(DIY/Production) in terms of resell value

I find electric propulsion interesting and pleased that some sailors enjoy advancing the tech and having fun with it at the same time. I actually enjoy the sound of diesels, and the associated smells aren't offensive to me at all. Current fuel prices and availability of parts and services plus range and resale pretty much seal the deal for me.
__________________
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 15:22   #52
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,382
Re: Comparing diesel vrs electric propulsion(DIY/Production) in terms of resell value

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Interesting how everyone on here against electric has yet to even go for a sail on a electric boat yet.
As said, an electric boat isn't going to sail any differently than the same boat with an ICE and I doubt the handling around the doc would be much different either.


Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Not to mention hope everyone on here without electric knows what the costs are without any experience using one.
Sorry but this statement is borderline silly. All it takes to know the costs is an understanding of basic math. Anyone can look at price sheets and add up exactly what it costs to buy a motor, controller, batteries and all the little bits and pieces you need to install electric in a boat. For comparison, the costs to buy, install, use and maintain an ICE are also well known.


Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Now I know how the wright Bros felt at kitty hawk.Great company I'm in.
You are quite correct. You are in great company. Lots of the forum members (and I am not referring to myself) have many years experience and many thousands of miles on the water... sailing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
By the way 10 to 20 miles or less by motor is NOT Sailing it is motor sailing.
Wrong. Motorsailing is using the engine while simultaneously using the sails. Using power alone, whether it's a half mile to the dock or 100 miles across the ocean is motoring.

Really don't understand why you have to be so defensive about the subject. It has been acknowledged by almost everyone on this thread that electric is an excellent option for certain applications. For other applications not so much. It's a matter of using the right tool for the job.

If you're day sailing and just need to get from dock to channel then electric can be a great option. If you're cruising long distances in varying conditions, remote locations, tricky channels or any of 100 other potentially difficult circumstances then it seems that 99% of the sailors agree that electric is not as good a tool as an ICE.

One last comment, just because one has a motor and the ability to use it to motor a long distance doesn't mean it has to be used every time the wind goes light. I've personally spent days at sea in calm to light airs working what wind I could find for every knot I could squeeze out. I've also cranked the engine on a boat and motored out of a calm that would have kept me another week on a passage and am not in the least ashamed that I did.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 15:43   #53
Registered User
 
goat's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Everywhere (Sea of Cortez right now)
Boat: PSC Orion 27
Posts: 1,098
Re: Comparing diesel vrs electric propulsion(DIY/Production) in terms of resell value

One thing that kind of bugs me about the "real sailors don't use engines" argument is the way the electrical regeneration works. In effect, you leave the transmission in gear at a set speed and the dragging or the prop through the water charges the batteries. Once you slow down to the set speed, the electric takes over and propels the boat until the wind picks up, or you run out of juice. That actually sounds more like motor sailing to me.

Someday, someone will build a sailboat specifically for electrical propulsion, with the batteries replacing lead as ballast and the sails acting as solar panels. That will be an interesting concept.

For the OP on a small boat (like mine) the conversion may work if he backs it up with a sculling oar and realizes the limitations up front and, as others have pointed out, there are many.

Your boat, your decision. Personally, I'm waiting for battery technology to catch up first.

goat
__________________
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 20:20   #54
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,881
Re: Comparing diesel vrs electric propulsion(DIY/Production) in terms of resell value

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Interesting how everyone on here against electric has yet to even go for a sail on a electric boat yet. Who's against electric? I would love a viable electric boat with similar capabilities and cost to an IC engine. I haven't heard anyone else suggest otherwise.Not to mention hope everyone on here without electric knows what the costs are without any experience using one. So when you walk into a car dealership, you just trust the salesman because you can't check what comparable prices and performance are without buying first? The facts are all out there for electric drivetrains. If we've made a mistake, please share where the mistake is.
Now I know how the wright Bros felt at kitty hawk.Great company I'm in.

By the way 10 to 20 miles or less by motor is NOT Sailing it is motor sailing.
If you want to play the purist, I suggest a sculling oar as the boat will sail better without any prop in the water creating drag.

Reality if you get the owners of all the 30-50' production cruising boats and check sailing vs motoring, I would be shocked if the average is less 70% of miles with the motor running. So for the typical cruising boat, people expect to be able to motor reliably significant distances on demand. Knock them out of the potential buyers and the law of supply and demand says it's going to knock down the sales price. Since they are pretty much all after market DIY, that will knock the sales price down even more.

I anxiously await the day electric becomes cost competitive but I'm going to go cruising in the mean time.
__________________
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 14:33   #55
Registered User
 
grjfield's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Boat: X Yacht, 1 ton, 40'
Posts: 65
Send a message via Skype™ to grjfield
Re: Comparing diesel vrs electric propulsion(DIY/Production) in terms of resell value

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSon View Post
Please tell us more about your conversion. Why, cost, upside, downside. All others have opinions, but you have experience. it seems like you have all of the power backup options in place ...
Happy to!
Why... lots of reasons..quieter, safer, more reliable, less maintenance, less smelly, no more diesel engine, gas tank, gas cans, oil, oily bilge.

Cost... If I was concerned with cost, I wouldnt have bought a boat! lol
Seriously .. cost of the saildrive + system was reasonable for the functionality provided. I bought 8-6v deep cycle lead acid batteries (235 AmH) which should give me about 30-40 miles which will meet my day sailing needs. I'll upgrade to Lithiums once these go in 5-7 years. By then I expect Lithiums to be better value(or whatever the latest is). I usually only plan to go out sailing when I know there's wind so unless racing, I will use regen. If there's no wind...I'll enjoy the view until its time to go home. If I had to meet deadlines and arrival times I guess i would have bought a power boat! (No offense to the power boaters...I'm just not in a hurry at this point.)

Upside...(see above) plus I think as battery technology progresses it will even make more sense. I've reserved a Tesla Powerwall which I hope to adapt to the marine environment as a range extender. If it doesnt work..I'll use in my home.
No more sourcing parts for the diesel. 1 less thru hull.

Downside...I will have to carry a small gas generator if I ever expect to cruise outside my range limit (assumes no wind or sun so my regen and solars will need an assist.) About the only other downside with my current configuration is that any appreciable water into the cabin with likely find the electric motor as it sits at the lowest point.... The Oceanvolt unit is enclosed so would not have this problem. While this is a remote possibility, I intend to build an waterproof enclosure around the motor (with a small pump) so that the water depth would have to get to about 1' in the cabin before its an issue. If It gets more than that, I expect I'll have bigger issues (like patching the hole in the hull!!).


... bit of history..
I bought the boat knowing the existing Sillette Sonic saildrive was not 100%. I JB-welded it in the hopes I might get a year out of it. 5 years later it finally decided it had lived a good life and let me know! I had spent the last year or 2 looking at electric options. Whisperdrive, Oceanvolt, Electric Yacht, 2- Cruise R4 Torqeedo (2*8 hp).
While I initially thought Torqeedo was the most convenient solution as I could remove the saildrive at my leisure, I was not impressed with the Torqeedo organization in the NW. You would think they would at least return phone calls to a prospect. Having said that, I later had an issue with my Torqeedo 1003 dinghy motor and their rep in Seattle looked after it without drama under warranty. Its a great dinghy motor by the way! Love it!
I then considered Oceanvolt and it looked like a premium product. However they were relatively new to North America and while the eastern USA rep was engaged, I worried about the timing getting parts from Europe if needed. Oceanvolt came with its own saildrive so I knew the full system would likely be great. One negative at the time was that Oceanvolt was changing their product so I wasnt sure I wanted to be a test case for a new product.
Whisperdrive was quickly discounted.
Finally I was able to source a great Sillette Sonic electric saildrive in the US. With this acquired, Electric Yacht's product seemed to be worth considering. They now also supply saildrives. At the time they were only supplying them to boat manufacturers. I checked out their products and customers and their current customers were very happy with the products and even more so with the support provided. ( I have found the same.) They were price competitive with Oceanvolt. Probably the clincher was that they agreed to build a rig so their motor meshed perfectly with the saildrive. 4 bolts and their system just 'worked'.

regards
Gerard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aug 20 2011 040.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	118460  
__________________
grjfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 15:17   #56
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,055
Re: Comparing diesel vrs electric propulsion(DIY/Production) in terms of resell value

"Does electric production based systems increase the boat value more so than diesel? What about DIY ones? "

Anything "oddball" including DIY is going to make 90% of the market walk away from whatever you've got. So yeah, that should pretty much low the resale value to hell and back again, when 90% of the prospective buyers simply won't look at your boat.
Or, they'll subtract $15-25 grand from your price, to account for the yard removing your kludge and installing the original style equipment again.

Just one man's opinion. You might find some creative thinker who'll gladly pay whatever you ask for that unique ecological electric engine.
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 22:24   #57
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Posts: 3,940
Re: Comparing diesel vrs electric propulsion(DIY/Production) in terms of resell value

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Interesting how everyone on here against electric has yet to even go for a sail on a electric boat yet. Not to mention hope everyone on here without electric knows what the costs are without any experience using one.
Now I know how the wright Bros felt at kitty hawk.Great company I'm in.

By the way 10 to 20 miles or less by motor is NOT Sailing it is motor sailing.
What I find so interesting is that you pigeon hole people without knowing their history. Since I am a vocal critic of electrical propulsion I assume I fall in your group.

However not only have I sailed on an electric boat I have owned one. For a limited use boat, where the tradeoffs are worth it electric is a very reasonable option, but it has severe limitations that must be taken into account. In my case I needed to move a 30' 3600lbs race boat in and out of the harbor, about 300 yards, then could plug it in at the end of the day. Electric worked great.

But I also had an outboard we schlept on when we were doing deliveries.
__________________
Greg

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:29   #58
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 229
Re: Comparing diesel vrs electric propulsion(DIY/Production) in terms of resell value

Quote:
Originally Posted by grjfield View Post
Happy to!
Why... lots of reasons..quieter, safer, more reliable, less maintenance, less smelly, no more diesel engine, gas tank, gas cans, oil, oily bilge.

Cost... If I was concerned with cost, I wouldnt have bought a boat! lol
Seriously .. cost of the saildrive + system was reasonable for the functionality provided. I bought 8-6v deep cycle lead acid batteries (235 AmH) which should give me about 30-40 miles which will meet my day sailing needs. I'll upgrade to Lithiums once these go in 5-7 years. By then I expect Lithiums to be better value(or whatever the latest is). I usually only plan to go out sailing when I know there's wind so unless racing, I will use regen. If there's no wind...I'll enjoy the view until its time to go home. If I had to meet deadlines and arrival times I guess i would have bought a power boat! (No offense to the power boaters...I'm just not in a hurry at this point.)

Upside...(see above) plus I think as battery technology progresses it will even make more sense. I've reserved a Tesla Powerwall which I hope to adapt to the marine environment as a range extender. If it doesnt work..I'll use in my home.
No more sourcing parts for the diesel. 1 less thru hull.

Downside...I will have to carry a small gas generator if I ever expect to cruise outside my range limit (assumes no wind or sun so my regen and solars will need an assist.) About the only other downside with my current configuration is that any appreciable water into the cabin with likely find the electric motor as it sits at the lowest point.... The Oceanvolt unit is enclosed so would not have this problem. While this is a remote possibility, I intend to build an waterproof enclosure around the motor (with a small pump) so that the water depth would have to get to about 1' in the cabin before its an issue. If It gets more than that, I expect I'll have bigger issues (like patching the hole in the hull!!).


... bit of history..
I bought the boat knowing the existing Sillette Sonic saildrive was not 100%. I JB-welded it in the hopes I might get a year out of it. 5 years later it finally decided it had lived a good life and let me know! I had spent the last year or 2 looking at electric options. Whisperdrive, Oceanvolt, Electric Yacht, 2- Cruise R4 Torqeedo (2*8 hp).
While I initially thought Torqeedo was the most convenient solution as I could remove the saildrive at my leisure, I was not impressed with the Torqeedo organization in the NW. You would think they would at least return phone calls to a prospect. Having said that, I later had an issue with my Torqeedo 1003 dinghy motor and their rep in Seattle looked after it without drama under warranty. Its a great dinghy motor by the way! Love it!
I then considered Oceanvolt and it looked like a premium product. However they were relatively new to North America and while the eastern USA rep was engaged, I worried about the timing getting parts from Europe if needed. Oceanvolt came with its own saildrive so I knew the full system would likely be great. One negative at the time was that Oceanvolt was changing their product so I wasnt sure I wanted to be a test case for a new product.
Whisperdrive was quickly discounted.
Finally I was able to source a great Sillette Sonic electric saildrive in the US. With this acquired, Electric Yacht's product seemed to be worth considering. They now also supply saildrives. At the time they were only supplying them to boat manufacturers. I checked out their products and customers and their current customers were very happy with the products and even more so with the support provided. ( I have found the same.) They were price competitive with Oceanvolt. Probably the clincher was that they agreed to build a rig so their motor meshed perfectly with the saildrive. 4 bolts and their system just 'worked'.

regards
Gerard
Awesome Gerard, thank you. 2 last questions, what size boat do you have and what was your all in cost with batteries and install (approximate - just to give me a idea)? I wouldn't expect it to be cheaper than a small diesel, but money isn't always the #1 consideration. Sometimes it's the coolness factor.

Thanks, John
__________________
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:53   #59
Registered User
 
grjfield's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Boat: X Yacht, 1 ton, 40'
Posts: 65
Send a message via Skype™ to grjfield
Re: Comparing diesel vrs electric propulsion(DIY/Production) in terms of resell value

I should say I dont think electric is for everyone...I could have saved $$$ just replacing the saildrive as my diesel always started and ran great. However I guess for the same reason some guys plunk down $$$ for Tesla, I felt the need to try electric. I think it will work for me. If it doesnt, I'll be the first to let you know. For now...it does seem cool!
For the record...I'm probably an 'electric junkie'.



Vessel- 40' X Yacht (1 ton).. stripped out for racing. Its about 12000lbs.

$ in Cdn...

Batteries: Crown 8- 6 volt deep cycle ~$150 Cdn *8 = $1200
Saildrive ~$2000
Electric Yacht system (motor, controller, throttle, monitor, fuse, switch, relay)
$7000
Probably spent another $800 on cabling, chargers, etc

Yard charges for haul out, land time, supplies for saildrive install. ( I did the removal/install of the saildrive but had the yard do the final glassing in of the saildrive. ~ $1000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150911_181228.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	118538  
__________________
grjfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:44   #60
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 229
Re: Comparing diesel vrs electric propulsion(DIY/Production) in terms of resell value

Quote:
Originally Posted by grjfield View Post
I should say I dont think electric is for everyone...I could have saved $$$ just replacing the saildrive as my diesel always started and ran great. However I guess for the same reason some guys plunk down $$$ for Tesla, I felt the need to try electric. I think it will work for me. If it doesnt, I'll be the first to let you know. For now...it does seem cool!
For the record...I'm probably an 'electric junkie'.



Vessel- 40' X Yacht (1 ton).. stripped out for racing. Its about 12000lbs.

$ in Cdn...

Batteries: Crown 8- 6 volt deep cycle ~$150 Cdn *8 = $1200
Saildrive ~$2000
Electric Yacht system (motor, controller, throttle, monitor, fuse, switch, relay)
$7000
Probably spent another $800 on cabling, chargers, etc

Yard charges for haul out, land time, supplies for saildrive install. ( I did the removal/install of the saildrive but had the yard do the final glassing in of the saildrive. ~ $1000
Thanks! Best part of this thread! Very educational.
__________________

__________________
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel, electric, propulsion

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diesel Electric Propulsion Julie Mor Engines and Propulsion Systems 194 22-03-2015 10:17
Electrical Propulsion vs Diesel Propulsion niel12 Multihull Sailboats 232 14-11-2014 17:51
Diesel-Electric Propulsion System kmbh69 Engines and Propulsion Systems 17 14-03-2012 23:50
For Sale: Glacier Bay Diesel-Electric Propulsion System $3,000 rkupsaw Classifieds Archive 25 03-04-2011 18:02



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:47.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.