Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 14:58   #1

Communication problems on new build

I am hoping to get feedback from others who have ordered a new build. Has the communication from the manufacturer been clear and reliable regarding standard specifications, customization costs, schedule, and delivery dates?

I ask because we are awaiting delivery of a new boat and the manufacturer has been very slow and unreliable about providing information. The process of finalizing the order list was somewhat painful (post initial agreement). Most recently the delivery date has been shifted twice with little notice. This is our first new boat. I am curious if this is a pervasive problem across the industry for boats that have some customization or if our experience is the exception.

Thank you for helping to put our experience in a larger context.
mgallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 18:09   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Communication problems on new build

Hello, mgallin, and welcome aboard CF.

Noelex & Seaworthy Lass are having a Bestevaer 49 built for them in Holland. I'm sure one of them would answer a PM about their communications with the builder. Or, go take a look at the thread Do a CF Google Custom Search, under the Search menu]. So far, they seem very pleased.

Ann
Old 06-07-2017, 18:29   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgallin View Post
I am curious if this is a pervasive problem across the industry for boats that have some customization or if our experience is the exception.
It depends on what you ordered. A pretty dead stock 25' power boat will usually be delivered time and budget. Anything bigger or more custom than that and yes, it is unfortunately a pervasive problem. 30% over budget and 3 months behind schedule is unfortunately considered good going in the semi custom segment.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 19:04   #4

I guess I should consider myself lucky then. Being told of a 23 day delay 15 days before delivery is frustrating but not nearly as painful as a 30% overage. Thanks for the perspective. And thanks for sharing info on S/V Halk. Helped to build confidence in an Aluminum hull.
Old 07-07-2017, 19:14   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It depends on the builder, there's one I know of in Aus who was over 2 yrs. late on one, and is now currently 19 months overdue on another. Sorry, don't know about their communications.

Ann
Old 07-07-2017, 19:16   #6

Late delivery is very common. I would visit or at least get pictures. Often things don't progress as well as they say. Are you doing progress payments? Another option is that with a surveyor to approve payment.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:20   #7

We are doing progress payments so that is not an issue.
I can't believe a manufacture could stay in business with a two year delay. They would have no cash flow unless they had a ponzi scheme going. Thanks for helping us realize our situation is really not too bad - getting perspective and realistic expectations helps.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:34   #8

We just took delivery of a new American Tug 395 that we ordered 1 year ago. The builder was on time and on budget. As a matter of fact, before we even had a deposit on the boat we were told that the likely production date would be "late March to early April" we took delivery on April 1 of this year.
Our previous boat was a production sailboat that was also delivered on time.
Each of our boats were "production" boats with as much customization as we could wrangle from the companies. Both were on time.
Not sure if this helps...
Bruce
Bruce Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:40   #9

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

Its interesting to hear about this. We may be buying a new boat next year, and will be asking for a couple of very minor custom things like a back up motor mount instead of a swim ladder, and more and beefier deck cleats with larger backing.

We never bought a new boat before that wasn't right off the dealer's lot.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:11   #10

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36

Our experience with Lightwave Yachts based at Coomera QLD could not be better. Semi custom cat. There were a couple of meetings before ordering
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:19   #11

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36

Sorry hit the wrong button. Prior to signing contract to get general spec. Then a fixed price with detailed inventory at signing. A couple of items hsd provisional sums until we finalised the detail. We get a monthly progress report with photos. The payment schedule is monthly but also aligned with expected progress in the contract. We are lucky to live within an hour so have had a couple of site visits to firm up layouts. However emails and phone calls are always promptly responded to. Sea trials are due mid october with handover to us early november, including 3 full days handover.

Couldnt happier with the engagement , process and quality. Roll on November !!
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote