Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-06-2014, 09:38   #61

Boat: Gemini 3200
Re: Coastal Sailing vs. Blue Water Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Are you really using an anecdote about a Hunter 25 losing it's rudder to bash full keel boats?

lol
No, I'm not bashing full keel boats, merely illustrating thomm225's implication that you can't sail a fin keel/spade rudder boat without the rudder is incorrect.

Fabbian

Old 09-06-2014, 10:06   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
No, I'm not bashing full keel boats, merely illustrating thomm225's implication that you can't sail a fin keel/spade rudder boat without the rudder is incorrect.

Fabbian
Then make THAT your argument.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:09   #63

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: Coastal Sailing vs. Blue Water Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Are you really using an anecdote about a Hunter 25 losing it's rudder to bash full keel boats? ... lol
Doggone if ya can't read some crazy stuff on here. Just when you think you've heard most of it or at least read about it.... along comes someone to lecture us dummies on wot is really wot.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:53   #64

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post

Fabbian
The reason I say that is because a guy that had quite a lot of experience on his rather large Beneteau with fin keel and spade rudder could not make it in using just the sails when is rudder became disabled (or lost) north of the Bahamas.

Since he was there and I wasn't I decided it best not to argue with him especially since he and his crew were in that condition for days in rather heavy seas.

I've also heard others say the same thing about fin keel/spade rudder boats.

Plus, I believe Colgate also said that a full keel boat is much easier to steer using just the sails than a fin keel boat.
Old 17-06-2014, 07:41   #65

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27

Coastal Sailing:

I sailed South from Onancock, VA to Kiptopeke on Saturday in front of a pretty strong NW Wind of 20-25 knots. I was the only boat to leave the safe harbor of Onancock that morning because I wanted to get out of the creek before the winds really picked up from the passing front to catch a ride 50 miles South.

To get out of the creek safely, I had to use my mainsail because I had to sail quite close to the wind in the channel at times to get out and due to the waves I knew the engine would need help.

Once out it was so rough I didn't want to go forward to lower the main for my downwind/broad reaching run so I had to fight the tiller all day.............for 6 hours none stop while the boat continually wanted to round up. But at times I had to head up some to avoid running aground. You don't have that problem in blue water I don't guess.

Every time a wave broke from behind I just headed low quickly. It was a hell of a workout, and the first time I ever saw my bow pulpit railing below the waves forward.

So I wanted to see how a boat similar to mine with the proper sails up (head sails only) would perform in similar conditions. This guy is dealing with larger seas than I had to deal with but the waves in the bay were much closer together. Plus the autopilot would not handle the conditions. Also the Twister is maybe 3,000 heavier than my Bristol.

This then is a Twister 28 (Full Keel) on a fast downwind run.

TWISTER 28 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Tags
blue water sailing, sailing, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: