Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2012, 02:28   #1

Boat: Hanse 385
Coastal Jackets vs Ocean

Hello all,

Just been checking out a few jackets in the store near us. Tried on a few HH / Henry Lloyd, etc, Coastal and Ocean jackets.

Apart from being "more waterproof" and way more expensive I was wondering what people here think to the differences between them?

If you're sailing the world, hopefully avoiding as much bad weather as you can, do you need a jacket rated "Ocean"? Or are these designed for Mid winter passages over a freezing Atlantic Ocean during a bad storm?

The price is almost double, just looking for some advice regarding Wet Weather Gear.

Regards,
Simon
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 04:03   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1977 Pearson 30
Re: Coastal Jackets vs Ocean

We purchased the Gill OS2 jackets, which are being phased out.

They are pretty cheap here: Gill OS2 Men's Jacket

Any weather that requires more protection than this jacket provides is weather that I want nothing to do with.
Anonymous7500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 04:31   #3

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

We use nothing.

If I can't go up on the foredeck and do it all when naked, then that means my navigation really sucks and we are obviously too far from the equator.

Our foul weather gear consists of the following:

1. Umbrella (for rain when in port)
2. Ponchos (for rain when in port with groceries in the backpack)
3. Towell (for drying myself in the cockpit after doing something on deck in bad weather)

If you buy anything more than that within 30 degrees of the equator, you have been scammed. But - hey Nike - you deserve it!

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 04:53   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I disagree with Jimbo regarding gear. I do night passages quite often in the Caribbean (16 degrees north) and with a 15 knot breeze I get quite chilled on deck and I'm not particularly sensitive to cold; I end up using a sweater much of the time. If it rains at night in addition to the wind then one can get really chilled even in the tropics. I used a cheap plastic raincoat until recently, when I got the Gill light rain gear and am very happy with it. The full offshore gear is too much of a good thing, since it is too warm during the day and rarely do cruisers need to be out and about in heavy weather for days on end as the racers do.

OTOH, I've spoken with delivery captains who have (and use) the full offshore Gill, Musto and similar sets and are very happy with them. I agree that all it takes is one long storm at sea in insufficient gear to make that purchase price worthwhile; but I'm going to avoid those storms for as long as possible.
Old 28-12-2012, 05:06   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Coastal Jackets vs Ocean

If its warm enough... and the crew can stand it... skin..
If colder a shortie wet suit and wind proof... with a flask of warm water to pour down the neck to pre-heat...
But usually I heave to and stay in the dry..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 05:15   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Hi Simon,

On my circumnavigation I never wore my heavy kit but once when anchored in a Cyclone.
The stuff worn most is the light coastal stuff. In fact the jacket I wear is not even a boat jacket it's an old trendy looking spray jacket and I wear it because I like the logo.

I would save the $600 per piece on HPX offshore and get nice coastal stuff for a fraction of the price. Even look at outdoor shops, mountaineering shops and see if there's anything on sale.
It can be a good idea to get a couple of cheaper jackets because the "breathable" stuff is just rubbish. After a while you are wet through so its much nicer to be able to have a dry jacket and leave the wet one hanging up till its properly dry.

If one sails in the right season it's unlikely in the tropics to have a day of rain, you will, however get little squalls five times per day that last ten minutes each, so a quick light jacket pulled on is best. By the time you have got your heavy pants on then the big jacket the squall has gone! And you are just hot and sticky.

To spend $1,000 for each person on the boat is a WOTAM. But look at it this way, if you do decide you need heavy kit you can buy it along the way. The coldest parts of a circumnavigation is from your home port for the first week heading to the sun. A costal jacket is fine for that.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 05:27   #7

If it takes you more than 10 minutes to do what you gotta do on deck in the rain, then you better practice more when it is blowing less than 10 knots. And if you can't hack 10 minutes of cold rain during a squall with a dry towel afterwards, then you are a marina pussy.

That said, you sometimes have to do more bad weather time when at anchor and the faeces is hitting the ventilator (time associated with dinghy, second anchor, fending off neighbours, etc). Bad luck, spend another boat unit or suck up the character-building experience once or twice a year. Work it out in terms of $/hour before you spend it!

Old 28-12-2012, 05:35   #8

Jimbo - thanks for calling me a pussy without knowing what I have, and have not, done.

I'll remember your comments next time I'm in squally weather at night on an 8 hour watch and have the wind and rain from the beam; instead of heeding your comments I'll stay warm and comfortable in my rain gear.
Old 28-12-2012, 05:45   #9

Zanshin, I don't believe I called you a pussy. If so, of course I take it back immediately!

However, I still maintain that we all should be able to hack 10 minutes of cold rain within 30 degrees of the equator with a dry towel afterwards.

Old 28-12-2012, 05:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
If it takes you more than 10 minutes to do what you gotta do on deck in the rain... then you are a marina pussy.
It takes me longer than 10 minutes in the rain, so I felt that you were talking to me. But I'll accept that you were generalizing in your statement. Thanks.

Steering a boat, even with dodger and Bimini, must sometimes be done in the rain. Rain coming out of a squall line is cold, I've even been hit by ice pellets in the BVI driven out of a CuNim cloud (I know I posted some pictures of the pellets, but can't find them now). For times like that rain gear, be it cheap plastic or expensive offshore plastic, is far better than a towel (which we all know that we need to have with us at all times along with the updated HHGTTG book).

Mark, whom I know, has the distinctions of having quite a bit of offshore experience plus he can hold his liquor; so I'll heed his comments (despite his coming from Oz).
Old 28-12-2012, 05:54   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
squally weather at night on an 8 hour watch and have the wind and rain from the beam; .
Oh, I stay below in that crap ...... and every 15 minutes put a saucepan on my head and look out the hatch.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 05:58   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Coastal Jackets vs Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Oh, I stay below in that crap ...... and every 15 minutes put a saucepan on my head and look out the hatch.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 06:02   #13

Mark - I remember a downwind trip from St. Martin to the BVI in a Jeanneau 43 in squally weather, rain coming from behind and the autopilot not up to the swells [I know, I should have looked at the weather report] and it took me while to recognize that I had become so cold (in T-Shirt and shorts) that my fingers were turning blue. Long pants, a sweater with rainjacket and a glass of fine single Malt solved that problem. But I decided that I'd go get some real gear after that.
Old 28-12-2012, 06:03   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I have a full 5 dot Gill Ocean setup, but i never use it in warmer climes, Its also quite confining, especially the salopettes. In warmer climes, I agree with one poster, that the nights can get quite cool or you can get a lot of dew, or rain. Here I use a lighter cheaper, no brand name breathable. ( though recently Im using a breathable Regatta brand)

Up here, een in summer when Im sailing its a full offshore gear, with sailing boots, mittens etc and thats in July

Dave
Old 28-12-2012, 06:30   #15

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Bought a nice Henri Loyd breathable rain jacket off the clearance rack at WM for $35 - perfect for summer in NC and winter in the Bahamas. Bought a used heavier coat and pants off eBay that gets only occasional use (well daily use in december going south). I find that eBay is great for stuff that will get only occasional use. A lightweight skin wetsuit is also very handy.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote