Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2013, 08:22   #31

Yeah, that's the other bad part, saltwater-soaked clothes seemingly will stay damp for months in the moist sea air! Damp and slowly turning into sandpaper due to crystalizing salt.
WMarineCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 09:59   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Coastal Jackets vs Ocean

Gill used to make a long inshore jacket that was/is perfect for summer/tropical sailing. It was the same jacket that most stores carried just longer. The jacket is lightweight so not hot to wear and long enough to pretty much keep you dry, shorts and all. Got the idea to try the jacket from an old picture of a sailing ship captain garbed in a long rubber slicker hanging over his rubber boots with a sou'wester on his head. It's worked out great for sailing between the islands which is almost always very windy and wet. Even in 80 degree sunshine, it's cold when you're wet with the wind blowing 20 gusting to 30.

The big difference between Top of the Line gear and the next line down is the material. Top of the line stuff is usually made with heavier weight Gore fabric that is still breathable despite its heavy weight and durability. The Coastal stuff is nearly as well constructed without the premium cloth. It's still breathable, just not the best in wear and/or breath ability. I've got Gill Coadtal gear which has worked fine including 10 straight days on the way to Hawaii. But to be truthful, other than that, have hardly worn the jacket. Wore the bib pants sailing in SF Bay quite a bit but almost never the jacket. FWIW, I'm a cold wimp. There is a reason we live in paradise.

One thing I am going to spend money on is a breathable pair of boots before I head north. My feet looked looked like prunes after a couple of days in rubber ones and the boots were squishy from trapped sweat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 10:12   #33

Quote:
One thing I am going to spend money on is a breathable pair of boots before I head north. My feet looked looked like prunes after a couple of days in rubber ones and the boots were squishy from trapped sweat.
One thing to consider, if you use the boots more for foot protection and traction than warmth, is a pair of dinghy sailing boots. They're great when you don't need full-on sea-boots, and you can grab a pair for about a third of the price to go with a pair of Dubarry for the cold stuff.
WMarineCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 06:53   #34

Boat: 1974 Cal 29

I have the West Marine "Third Reef" set of foulies, plus their boots. I've also got a Sou'Wester hat in almost the same shade of yellow that came with a boat I purchased. On the rare occasion I need them, I find them more than sufficient. At $220 for the whole kit (jacket, bibs, boots), I think it was reasonably priced.
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 07:49   #35

Boat: Orca 38

Grundens for rain or an insulated Mustang suit for real cold.
Layer up with modern materials. Burberry boots although I prefer good hiking boots myself.
It gets cold and wet here in the PNW!
Old 30-01-2013, 08:01   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Coastal Jackets vs Ocean

Was given a Helly Hansen Ocean one piece years back... loved it
Todays Offshore's are probably up to that standard today with all the new materials...
I've gone back to the wetsuit, windproof and hot water...
To much money and too bulky for me to travel with..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 08:11   #37

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Was given a Helly Hansen Ocean one piece years back... loved it
Todays Offshore's are probably up to that standard today with all the new materials...
I've gone back to the wetsuit, windproof and hot water...
To much money and too bulky for me to travel with..
Yes, the bulk when traveling doesn't work. I've not tried the wet suit route yet, but I have my surfing gear that I plan on trying.

So what's the hot water for again?