Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2016, 19:46   #1

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI
Coast guard registration or state registration

I'm trying to figure out which way to register my HR 33. Would it be wise to register it in my home state, when I sail it up, or should I register it using the coast guard registration system.

I'm gtg reg wise until 2017, so I've got time to sort this business out, what do you all think, which is in my best interest.

Thank you in advance.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 20:02   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Coast guard registration or state registration

Do a quick search on Documentation or registration. This subject has been covered in depth many times.
Old 28-10-2016, 04:07   #3

Boat: Columbia 36

If your not leaving the US there's no reason to do USCG documentation, unless your bank requires it. If that were the case you'd already know of course. Don't know about your state, but many require state registration regardless. My boat is documented, but I still have to pay Michigan $114 every three years. Also if you're documented you're not allowed to display state numbers if you have them, and that might cause the local LEO's to take a second look at you. It gives them reason to stop you just to check that out.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 04:51   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Check into the tax implications of registing in your home State. Dependimg upon the details, some may come after you for sales tax.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 04:53   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
... Also if you're documented you're not allowed to display state numbers if you have them, and that might cause the local LEO's to take a second look at you. It gives them reason to stop you just to check that out.
Florida, and I assume other states, have a sticker that you display on Fed Documented + State registered boats so the LEOs can see you are paying your dues in state.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 07:07   #6

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Even if you federally document your state will still want whatever tax they require even if you dont get a state registration. State registration and state taxes are separate issues. I had a federally documented boat in MD for years and never got a state registration. I did, however, have to pay the MD tax. Now I have a federally documented boat in Grenada. No state tax paid ever because the boat was never kept in the US long enough for tax to be due.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 09:46   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

The only reason I can see for documentation is you may be more likely to get the State Dept. involved if you get into a jam outsides the States.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 12:29   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
The only reason I can see for documentation is you may be more likely to get the State Dept. involved if you get into a jam outsides the States.
If you are clearing into foreign ports then it is much more likely that the officials are familiar with US Documentation paperwork than the myriad of different state titles. If they don't like your boat docs you can be denied clearance or at least make it a long hassle to finanlly get cleared.
Old 28-10-2016, 14:58   #9
Marine Service Provider

Again a lot of incomplete and mis-information here. There are several reasons to document (it's not called register) a boat with the US Coast Guard. The first of course is that you have a document that is recognized world-wide by nearly every customs and immigration officer in the world who has authority over ports of entry.

Second, only a documented vessel can have a Preferred Ship Mortgage recorded against it with the USCG Vessel Documentation Center. This gives your lender a secured preference in the chain of title to protect their loan and to protect you from spurious claims. This means that claims will be heard in a US Federal Court staffed by experts in maritime law, not in some local-yokel state or county court where lawyers and judges alike might not have a clue about your and the boat's legal rights. Most sophisticated lenders know this and insist on documentation.

Third: It will enhance the resale value since an accurate abstract of title (available for a small fee from the USCG) showing all liens and encumbrances that are on the boat's title or have ever been on the title. This is not possible with state registered vessels. Again lenders usually insist on an abstract of title.

In our law-suit happy country I would not buy a used boat that was not USCG documented. This is a low cost service compared to the costs of similar levels of security when buying a house.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 17:23   #10

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post

Some countries, particularly around the Mediterranean prefer Federal registration and not the little piece of paper you get for Local.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 21:41   #11
Marine Service Provider

I don't know why Cadence thinks the US State Department can get you out of a jam in a foreign country if you have a documented vessel. As I've mentioned there are good reasons to document your vessel but that's not one of them. The State Department's only duty to a US citizen held or detained in a foreign country is to check on you once a month to insure that you are not being mistreated or being denied necessary medical attention. They may also contact an attorney in that country who may be willing to help but many countries do not have a constitutional requirement that legal representation be provided even for their own citizens let along foreign yachties.
Old 28-10-2016, 22:10   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

This is old info, because I'm old, but when I was in the military, we could take any necessary means to protect or recover a documented vessel and it's crew. Not so with state registration. A documented vessel is considered to be a part of the US where ever it is.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 01:37   #13
Marine Service Provider

I'm sure Lepke is still right as far as the uniformed services go when acting on their own initiative . They will go above and beyond to protect not only American sailors and vessels but all sailors and their vessels on the high seas. The discussion was about what the State Dept. would do if a US sailor were detained in foreign waters and the answer was and still is, little or nothing. Don't expect John Kerry's or Barack Obama's State Dept. to do squat.

Tags
registration