Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2018, 16:59   #1
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Coast Gaurd Announcements

Is it just my wife and I, or do others feel the GC needs to works on their vhf announcement skills. I always switch over to 22A when they are making an announcement. But, 80% of the time they mumble it, say it real fast, and only say it one time. In the end I know there’s “something” that maybe I should know about, but not what it is.
Old 14-10-2018, 17:07   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Coast Gaurd Announcements

Maybe they just watched super troopers and are messing with everyone.

"Attention all boaters beware of (intentional static) or you will die. That is all"
Old 14-10-2018, 17:17   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

CG is not alone. Enunciate deliberately please. Some of us are old(er) and our ears aren’t so perfect anymore.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 18:01   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

The CG (and other services) have a special class in diction, presented by retired railroad station announcers. Your tax dollars at work...

In truth, we've noted (some years ago when we were still in CG waters) that while routine announcements were often "speed read", in actual emergency communications they are very good indeed... calm, reassuring and professional. I reckon that reading a notice to mariners out the thirty-fourth time would get kinda boring!

Jim
Old 14-10-2018, 19:40   #5

My opinion is if they don't have the time to announce something clearly and articulately why bother announcing it at all
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 21:34   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Kinda wish the Ozark kid with the marbles in his mouth would remove them before starting the announcement.
Old 15-10-2018, 15:42   #7
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Couldn’t understand the announcements abou5 the area I’m going through tomorrow. Hear the announcement more than once and was really dialed into listening, yet neither my wife or I know what they sail.

We probably are going to go aground, hole the boat, sink, and die
Old 15-10-2018, 17:54   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, setting aside the non-issue of the impermanence of life, are such announcements something you can respond to? Because, it seems the logical solution for the problem is to call them back and ask them to please repeat slowly and distinctly.

We've been known, when someone does a really good job, to publicly thank them, too, because it's nice to know someone's listening and paying attention, and easy to lose motivation and get sloppy if you think no one cares.

Ann
Old 16-10-2018, 06:19   #9

Boat: Valiant 40

As far as I can tell announcement duty gets foisted on the lowest person on the totem pole at the station. They always sound young.

Beyond those that mumble, it’s aggravating when they race through the announcement so fast that critical details like LOCATION are unintelligible. Might as well not bother with the pan pan at all.
Old 16-10-2018, 07:24   #10

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I’m a big fan of them saying “break” and then continuing to blabber on.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 07:42   #11

Doing Boomhauer proud!
Old 16-10-2018, 07:47   #12

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
CG is not alone. Enunciate deliberately please. Some of us are old(er) and our ears aren’t so perfect anymore.

Boy ain't that the truth. I've been noticing I have to turn the TV up just a bit more to understand what people are saying. Now, sometimes its because I watch a lot of British television and the accents can take time to acclimate yourself to.

I never should have started learning to play drums !!!
Old 16-10-2018, 08:14   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Let's think about this -- Coastie stations are manned by humans, who often went into the service for very altruistic reasons like saving lives or love of the sea. Unlike some other military services, they probably did not join to be Rambo, or drive big toys. As in most military services, they are often surprisingly young (right out of high school) and lead by a few career non-commissioned officers. They certainly are not motivated by the high pay or glamour of being a Coastie. Why not give your local station a call and arrange for a visit - bring cookies! If you don't like how they announce stuff, give the senior chief a call on the phone, and nicely ask that they improve. These folks are in the service to keep you and yours alive.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 09:13   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
As far as I can tell announcement duty gets foisted on the lowest person on the totem pole at the station. They always sound young.

Beyond those that mumble, it’s aggravating when they race through the announcement so fast that critical details like LOCATION are unintelligible. Might as well not bother with the pan pan at all.

Being Retired Military myself, I can assure you of this, it was fun for the first day, then you pass the job onto the lowest rate.
Now let the stuff hit the fan, then the Senior people get on the radio directly so they get things first hand, and radio procedures change.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 09:28   #15

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Is it just my wife and I, or do others feel the GC needs to works on their vhf announcement skills. I always switch over to 22A when they are making an announcement. But, 80% of the time they mumble it, say it real fast, and only say it one time. In the end I know there’s “something” that maybe I should know about, but not what it is.
My experience exactly, on 16 at least. Seems like this would not be too hard to correct, if anyone were paying attention.

Part of what makes these announcements hard to understand is the frequent surprisingly poor quality of my reception of CG radio, in places where I would think it would be fine. Most others come in well (my radio and anntenna are quite good, thanks), but very often the CG broadcasts sound weak and scratchy.

I could understand that if they were broadcasting from some very distant antenna, but the transmissions I'm talking about are for general consumption, and I would suppose they are sent out from all their antennae. Anyone know what's going on there?
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men